How much do you customize your browser

Jefke

Oke :P was just wondering ;-)

I often open tabs and leave them be - after a few days I always seem to end up with multiple browser windows and hundreds of tabs - so the function itself is very useful for me.

You know tab groups exist? :P

ctrl+shift+e ^^

Makes organising tabs a lot easier. If I have tabs that I need to keep open I throw them in another group, so they don't make my tabbar a clusterf***.

You know tab groups exist? :P

ctrl+shift+e ^^

Makes organising tabs a lot easier. If I have tabs that I need to keep open I throw them in another group, so they don't make my tabbar a clusterf***.

Yeah I know them, even use them every now and then; but even then the "switch to tab" is wonderful - it saves me time if I know what I need :)

Yeah I know them, even use them every now and then; but even then the "switch to tab" is wonderful - it saves me time if I know what I need :)

Ah, well I bloody hate it.

Not that the feature exist. That's fine, but that you can't turn it off without plugin...

Ah, well I bloody hate it.

Not that the feature exist. That's fine, but that you can't turn it off without plugin...

I just googled, there isn't even an about:config option for. I agree that is stupid. Anyway.. we're going a bit offtopic eh? haha soz :)

I just googled, there isn't even an about:config option for. I agree that is stupid. Anyway.. we're going a bit offtopic eh? haha soz :)

Nope, totally on topic.

It's about customization and that it is Xd

But yeah I even went searching myself in about:config. There is no way to turn it off :(

• Like 1

I use this fun little browser called RockMelt...it's basically Chrome with social media and Facebook integration. I run a bunch of plug ins, plus I get another side bar with top news stories, my email accounts, facebook live feed, etc. and another side bar with a Facebook chat.

Not the most professional (plus I have an Adventure Time theme.....), but it's fun.

I use this fun little browser called RockMelt...it's basically Chrome with social media and Facebook integration. I run a bunch of plug ins, plus I get another side bar with top news stories, my email accounts, facebook live feed, etc. and another side bar with a Facebook chat.

Not the most professional (plus I have an Adventure Time theme.....), but it's fun.

grrr.... social media integration.

I bloody hate it :@

Everything has to have 'social media integration' these days.

Even my bloody pdf reader :facepalm:

• Like 2

Haha. Yeah...I know...It honestly got me sick of Facebook...and I never used Twitter or any of those other one...like Instagram and Tumblr...

The best part of it for me is the sidebar with news headlines, weather, and alerts from my Gmail account. And The Oatmeal (web comic). It makes staying up to date with current events easier than having to go look for it.

I mean, it is very much designed around people who can never get off Facebook, but aside from those aspects, it does has some perks for me. :P

• 1 month later...

Browser accelerators, add-ons and toolbars, oh my! There are many options for you to choose from in customizing your Internet browser. Because it remains visible after you land on a Web page, the most beneficial browser is one that enables you to better focus on your selected Web page without distractions. After removing unwanted toolbars and buttons, you can incorporate more appropriate accelerators and add-ons based on your requirements. The result is a crisper, more streamlined browser showing its appreciation by giving you more enjoyable searching in return.

Internet Explorer Browser Customization

Step 1

Click "Tools" in the Internet Explorer browser menu.

Step 2

Click "Toolbars" and then "Customize."

Step 3

Add toolbars from the "Available Toolbar Buttons" list as desired by highlighting each one separately and then clicking "Add." Click "Close" when finished.

Step 4

Click "Tools" from the browser menu and then click "Manage Add-ons."

Step 5

Click on "Tools and Extensions" and enable or disable your chosen items.

Step 6

Click "Search Providers" and arrange the order of enabled providers by clicking "Listing Order."

Step 7

Click "Accelerators" and then highlight the item you would like to disable, enable or change.

Step 8

Click "InPrivate Filtering" to privately view an available item listed. InPrivate Filtering allows you to block content that appears on sites you visit frequently.

Mozilla Firefox Internet Browser Customization

Step 1

Click "View" from the Mozilla Firefox Internet Browser menu.

Step 2

Click "Toolbars" and then "Customize."

Step 3

Click the "Show" arrow to view the list of available buttons.

Step 4

Click and drag a button to add it to your browser's toolbar. Repeat this step to include additional buttons.

Step 5

Click "Tools" from the browser menu and then click "Add-ons."

Step 6

Go to the "Get Add-ons" tab and browse the available listings. Download any desired options. Repeat this process for the "Themes", "Extensions" and "Plug-ins" tabs.

Step 7

Disable any add-ons you don't use by clicking the "Disable" button next to the add-on name.

Whenever you go to a website, the software that you are using to read the text and view the pictures etc. is called a Web Browser. Microsoft Internet Explorer is the single most popular web browser in the world right now. Others, like Netscape and the AOL browser are popular too, but the vast majority of you are running IE (Internet Explorer).

In the latest version of IE, which is IE5 there are several options you can choose from to make your web browsing more enjoyable. Going to the "Tools" pull down menu at the top of the screen, and selecting "internet options" can access them.

From there, you can change lots of things. The first option you'll see is to change your home page. Your home page is the page that will open up every time you either open IE or every time you hit the "Home" button at the top of the screen. You can set your home page to be whatever you want, as long as it's a web page. Just type in the name of the page you want to use, or click "use current" if you find a page you want to use.

The next option is for your temporary Internet files, or your "Cache". Web browsers automatically save many web pages on your computers hard drive, so they can be viewed offline. From this screen, you can hit "settings" and limit how much space they'll use up, and how often your computer will check for new versions of pages you've visited before.

The third and last option in this first tab of the window is your history. Your history is a record of every page you've been to. You may have noticed that after time, your address bar is filled with what seems like every web address (URL) you've ever typed in. You may want to limit the amount of time that these addresses remain visible, or even delete those addresses so that others in your home or office won't be able to easily see where you've been web surfing. From here, is where you can do that.

The next tab is for your Internet security. This area would be great if every site had a security rating from Microsoft, but they don't. The trouble you can get into here is that if you change your security settings you won't be able to view any pages that are not "rated". It's more trouble than it's worth in my experience. If you do play around in here, try to remember (or write down) everything you do, so you can undo it if you want to.

The next tab is for "content". There are three sections here. Content Advisor allows you to "child proof" your web browser, and it actually works pretty well. Just hit "Enable" to see your options. Any sites that are not rated can become inaccessible though if you do not take care in setting it up correctly. I have seen people screw up their browser by attempting to become too restrictive. Go through all four options, and make the appropriate choices for your family. Whatever you do, DO NOT forget your password if you enable all these settings, as it's very difficult and time consuming to fix. The password prompt comes up after you've changed anything in this area and you hit "okay".

The next area is for Certificates. Simply put, I don't know exactly what they are for so I stay out of there myself. That's a good rule of thumb to live by!

The third area is for "Personal Information". Next month, I will finish up this article with an explanation of this, and the remaining three tabs in the "Internet Options area of IE5.

Can you wait until then, or will you explore them on your own? Do whatever you want, but remember what you do!

I like IE. It works fine for me. It has similar options as firefox did when they came out with them.

tools

internet options

general

tabs

settings

when a pop-up is encountered: * always open pop-ups in a new tab

open links from other programs in: * a new tab in the current window

tools

internet options

privacy

pop-up blocker

check turn on pop-up blocker

settings

check show notification bar when a pop-up is blocked

blocking level:

high: block all pop-ups (ctrl+alt to override)

alt key

file, edit, view, favorites, tools, help shows at top of window

view

toolbars

menu bar

status bar

and what Jopa said with the "in private filtering"

Hmm, FireFox 18.0.1 with the following extentions

Adblock Plus

Easy Youtube Vid DLer

Flashgot

Ghostery

IMacros for FF

NoScript

Xmarks

A few themes, but most of the time I have them disabled.

I have to say that I've been running Noscript, Adblock and Ghostery for quite some time. Every once in awhile I'll disable them and am amazed at how full of ad's and crap the net is in general. I like my ad-free bubble, lol.

Firefox is a real browser, chrome is just a piggyback app. I use Firefox at work with about 20 plug ins from firebug/yslow to IE tab for Cisco routers and firewalls that need IE.. at home I want speed and personalisation so its Chrome.. I have deployed browsers to over 200 companies and it is always I and firefox.. Chrome is a nice toy but they need to develop it as a business app, enterprise version does not count.. ;) Chrome is in the lead though... http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Chrome

-AdBlock

-AdBlock Plus

-FlashBlock

-Freemake Video Downloader

-Freemake Youtube Download button

Theme: a black one.. I dont remember his exact name

Using FF 18.0.1 Mostly with DownthemAll, AdBlock plus, Greasemonkey & HTTPS Everywhere addons, Also using the lovely OPERA but it hogs more memory than FF. Sparely use Chrome, its fast but personally feel highly over rated. Also forced to use IE8 for my Share broker backoffice.

You guys don't believe me, IE6 is still used in my office and don't ask me why (we are still in the ice age) :embrass