Hybrid Hard drives - Laptop - Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200 RPM - Review?

daredevil

• Administrators

I am planning to order Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200 RPM hybrid hard drive. Is anyone using that one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-148-591&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=6400&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

My hard drive is about to go dead again... so need to order new one.. Let me know what u guys think.

Thanks!

Does experience in a tablet counts?

Had a 250gb version of those hybrid hdd in my tablet :P

I ripped it out of my tablet eventually and replaced it with a ssd. I only did that because I went nuts of the sound when the hdd spin up, but of course that only matters in a tablet.

in pc/laptop the sound shouldn't matter that much ^^.

How was the speed?

Hard to say.

Never compared it to a regular HDD, because it was used in a tablet. I can say that the ssd feels faster than the hybrid HDD, but I kind of expected that (only feels, never benchmarked or really watched speeds).

edit: here are some benchmarks I found on one of my favourite hardware websites: http://uk.hardware.i...tab:testresults

In their test the Western Digital Scorpio Black beats it. Although it's often close call and that are benchmarks, not sure how much it can use the flash memory during benchmarks.

Edited by MrJoske

I personally upgrade to those seagate momentus xt hdds every time i buy something with some rubbish WD drive or whatever... They really are great IMO..

I personally upgrade to those seagate momentus xt hdds every time i buy something with some rubbish WD drive or whatever... They really are great IMO..

Rubbish WD :o

Everything at my place are either WD or Samsung

sidestory unrelated to this type of HDD of Seagate.

You might know that seagate bought samsung HDD devision.

This meant that the samsung spinpoint F3 (my favourite HDD ever) came in hands of seagate.

At first I thought, ah well no problem.

They still are the same HDD

WRONG: you had to get lucky from where the HDD came.

If they came from the usual Thailand, no problem.

If they came from China, well they got screwed up in less than a month.

This was personal experience and I read some similar stories online.

So that's why I actually don't really like seagate HDD :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Ordered one. Let's see how it works. Will receive it on 24th Nov. Let's see if my old laptop can handle win 8 or not.

Ordered one. Let's see how it works. Will receive it on 24th Nov. Let's see if my old laptop can handle win 8 or not.

Let me know how it works out for you.

• Administrators

Let me know how it works out for you.

Bad!!! I just realized I can't install windows 8 cos no mobility drivers for x1400... Go figure... f***!!

Bad!!! I just realized I can't install windows 8 cos no mobility drivers for x1400... Go figure... f***!!

that sucks. But why not stick with win7?

• Administrators

Dare stop using your noob laptop and get yourself a desktop!

No desktop here :( Laptop is at home :(

that sucks. But why not stick with win7?

Itch to try new things... :D

I don't know what other hard drives are like, but i'd give it 5/5, I've had no problems or failures over the past year, (just the missing 35GB lol)

i've always thought it was fast though i've had write-caching disabled so don't actually know how fast it is.

• 3 months later...

Any more feedback on this, I am considering one myself.. Ran out of space on my 1TB Sata III drive so made it the second drive so with needing something to boot with, I put an old 256GB SATA II drive in at first but filled the capacity within 2 weeks so had to put a 512GB SATA I drive and the speed is killing me, boot times are ridiculously slow.

512GB SSD's are just way too expensive so I was thinking of a new 2TB 6GB/S as the slave and put the 1TB back to boot from but the 750 GB Hybrid looks a good alternative to boot and keep the 1TB as second drive?

I didn't mind the boot times from the SATA III 6 G/S, fast enough for me as PC is in sleep mode most of the time.

Edited by DontShootUK

It's not the transfer rate that is slowing you down. HDD's can only spin so fast and transfer so fast. Seriously, they only transfer at 150MB/s. That's SATA 1 - SATA 1.5 speeds. 200MB/s on 10,000rpm drives which is slower than SATA 2 speeds. http://www.wdc.com/w...2879-701284.pdf raptor spec sheet.

Drives get old, and if you're using a drive from 7-10 years ago, it's just getting wore out. From what I've seen on pc's, a fresh HDD and a reinstall of windows helps the most. Even a 5 year old drive can slow you down, especially if your pc is on 24-7.

Get an SSD. You won't regret it and you wont go back.

Personally, I do not have SATA3 ports on my motherboard so I am limited, but I will be purchasing one of these by the end of the year:

http://www.ocztechno.../press/2013/521

OCZ's PCIe SSD to be released maybe in May. Now I would only be limited by PCIe 4x bus speed (1.6 GB/s).

SATA3 is almost maxed out (600 MB/s max)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820147193

read and write: 540/520 MB/s on this samsung SSD

BTW.. boot times are not always relied on by what kind of drive you have. 45sec on a OCZ Vertex 2 SATA2 120GB ssd.

Chipset can make a difference also. My P55 chipset is known for not booting fast.

Edited by putts