NEW PC Build

Antichrist

what is your vid card?

LOL

Currently using a Sparkle, Dual head, 512MB Nvidia.

My brother supposedly has a 1 gig card for me... SUPPOSEDLY I should have it by next weekend... But he told me I'd have it THIS weekend when I saw him on Christmas.

I don't have any more details about this mystery card yet though. When I know more, I'll post details. :)

That card looks nice and all, but his mobo only supported CFX, so AMD Cards only if he wantss to have dual cards in the future. Only bad thing about that is that amd card's drivers blow.

@Milli - Thats a nice card, Galaxy isnt bad, 2GB VRAM, 900mhz, buut only 192 cores. 448 cores are expensive, but killer i hear.
:P

Also, 1.5GB VRAM is the most needed for video games at very max so far, but only higher-costing video cards like to have 1.5. Like 580s.

Take pictures of the boxes and during stages of the build! The thread needs it! Congrats on your new gear.

Look for a videocard with a lifetime warranty. I've dealt with EVGA and they were great. I had a 285GTX that slowely started crashing more and more after a year. Then at one point it would not run at its stock speeds. I sent it back in and since they had none in stock they gave me a 295GTX dual GPU card. Well that card lasted about a year and they bumped me up to a fairly current 480GTX which is pretty much as powerful as my 570GTX. I was able to sell it on eBay for $280. Point is... Cards will break, better have some insurance :) BTW I ran mine overclocked, overvolted, and running Folding at Home 24/7 lol...

Damn that is some good insurance. You literally beat the shit out of your video card and they still replace it for you lol.

That card looks nice and all, but his mobo only supported CFX, so AMD Cards only if he wantss to have dual cards in the future. Only bad thing about that is that amd card's drivers blow.

@Milli - Thats a nice card, Galaxy isnt bad, 2GB VRAM, 900mhz, buut only 192 cores. 448 cores are expensive, but killer i hear.
:P

Also, 1.5GB VRAM is the most needed for video games at very max so far, but only higher-costing video cards like to have 1.5. Like 580s.

Yes AMD drivers do blow. I have 2 x HD 5870's in crossfire and they crash in certain games for no reason. Update drivers to fix a game and now another game crashes on me instead. The drivers were so bad, that at a time, HL1 would lag using 2 x HD 5870's (actually just some quake engine games until they fixed drivers). Anyways i don't even bother with CF anymore. I just use 1 HD 5870 in my main rig and another one to put into my HTPC which i will build soon

Got my pc up and running. 1+3 slots dont play nice with this mobo and i only have stock cooler on : /.

I run 24-31C idle according to Core Temp LOL. Id say thats pretty nice. And my top LED fan for my Huge ass fan isnt working :(

Plus my dad hates the bottom-mounted PSU idea lol.

Plus my dad hates the bottom-mounted PSU idea lol.

@General: I'd be intrested to see what his take is on it and why he dislikes it so much. To me it makes sense from a thermal standpoint, by venting the PSU with fresh air instead of warmed air from inside the case. Granted if you don't have a filter, your case high enough off the ground etc then it would certainly lead to problems.

@Anti: I would love to raise my desk higher, but it's actually mounted to the wall inside of a...I guess it could be called an alcove. It looks like it might've been a closet at one point that they turned into a computer station. Where are those completed build pics buddy?

@General: I'd be intrested to see what his take is on it and why he dislikes it so much. To me it makes sense from a thermal standpoint, by venting the PSU with fresh air instead of warmed air from inside the case. Granted if you don't have a filter, your case high enough off the ground etc then it would certainly lead to problems.

@Anti: I would love to raise my desk higher, but it's actually mounted to the wall inside of a...I guess it could be called an alcove. It looks like it might've been a closet at one point that they turned into a computer station. Where are those completed build pics buddy?

Well, in his opinion, The cabling was much harder (kinda was) and our PSU..Well it can only blow either straight into the graphics card or straight at the bottom of the case. Then it'd burn itself up and catch on fire :X

Well, in his opinion, The cabling was much harder (kinda was) and our PSU..Well it can only blow either straight into the graphics card or straight at the bottom of the case. Then it'd burn itself up and catch on fire :X

Hmmm my corsair fan sucks instead of blows. Its on the bottom of my case and takes the cool air out from the bottom and cools itself and blows it out of the case.

Same here. I'm not sure I've ever had a PSU fan that blew air into the case from the outside (unless I soldered the wires on a few fan backwards...but thats another story). Ususally it sucks air from inside the case out. My current one being bottom mounted intakes cool air from the bottom of the case and blows it out of the back of the case.

My only problem with bottom mounted PSU fans is without a good filter..they suck in a ton of dust.

Edit: Ah, I see with your build General that your using an Antec 900 it doesn't appear to have intake holes on the bottom. That is a stange and unusual design for a bottom mounted PSU. Take a look at the case I'm using to see the difference. I got it on a sale for $84 + tax & free S&H http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147053

Edited by NoGooD

long live extra long cables then ^^

Yeah my psu also is on the bottom and cabling is harder, but don't care it looks way better then a floating psu on top

ps. I got extra long cables becaused the cablemanagement in my HAF 922 is far from ideal (workable but I worked with easier cases)

Same here. I'm not sure I've ever had a PSU fan that blew air into the case from the outside (unless I soldered the wires on a few fan backwards...but thats another story). Ususally it sucks air from inside the case out. My current one being bottom mounted intakes cool air from the bottom of the case and blows it out of the back of the case.

My only problem with bottom mounted PSU fans is without a good filter..they suck in a ton of dust.

Edit: Ah, I see with your build General that your using an Antec 900 it doesn't appear to have intake holes on the bottom. That is a stange and unusual design for a bottom mounted PSU. Take a look at the case I'm using to see the difference. I got it on a sale for $84 + tax & free S&H http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811147053

Yep. I have no idea whether it sucks or blows cuz I was just using generic terms. Its just a CoolerMaster 700W

I just got my video card from my brother about an hour ago. Installed, and already tested on ET.

EVGA GTS 450.

Minimal graphics, I'm running 125 FPS **STABLE** with 2 monitors.

Full graphics, I'm running 76 FPS **STABLE** with 2 monitors.

I just got my video card from my brother about an hour ago. Installed, and already tested on ET.

EVGA GTS 450.

Minimal graphics, I'm running 125 FPS **STABLE** with 2 monitors.

Full graphics, I'm running 76 FPS **STABLE** with 2 monitors.

You have my card!! Except mines ASUS and your EVGA is prob slightly better ^^ I heard the 450 was good for folding though.

You have my card!! Except mines ASUS and your EVGA is prob slightly better ^^ I heard the 450 was good for folding though.

I have no idea man... my brother told me he bought a different 1gb card because it was faster than this one. I always thought 1gb was 1gb no matter what... but I really didn't think much about the chipset and other variables.

But it's a great card bro :D Mine has dual DVI out, and 1 HDMI out. I'm using the dual DVI now.. I don't think my 23" has an HDMI input.. but this works. it kicks my other cards ass, that's for sure.

GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 :) I'm happy with it. $120 card for free. Although I'll find some way to pay him back.. I hate handouts. He'll get free car work or something lol.

• Like 1