Chess

Nielsvd

Not to my biggest surprise, there isn't a topic about this "sport" yet. Most likely because many disagree on wether it's a sport or a (boardgame), however, since I've been doing it since I was 4, let's just call it a sport for the sake of this topic's existence :P

A few questions that might help get this topic started!

- When did you learn how to play chess?

- Do you still (actively) play it?

- Do you follow/attend any (big) tournaments?

Etc. (:

Well as I said, I was four years old when I learned how to play chess, my brother was interested in it (I believe) and my mother thought it would be good for the development of his brain. I, young and curious as I was, of course wanted to follow my big brother and do whatever he did, so after a while I started going with him to the chessclub, where I quickly picked it up.

For a few years, I did quit playing, but about four to five years ago, I got back into it and almost immediately picked it up quite seriously. These days, I get a lot of fulfillment out off teaching children how to play, which is, sort of, volunteer work. Honestly, there are nights when teaching them, is more fun than playing it myself. :D

I do not really follow tournaments, though I do sometimes attend them. I try to play a few tournaments a year, to also develop further as a player, which has become a goal of mine!

So what about all of you? Do you play? If you do, great, let us know! If not, but you're interested in how to play it, or have questions respond right away! So let's hear it, who plays chess?

I learned it when I was around the age of 9 (my grandfather taught me)

I don't play much but if my grandfather visits us, we normally play chess, checkers or 'pappen'/'wiezen'/... => cardgames

So I only play to beat my grandfather (until now: only happens 4 times ^^)

Sweet, me too! Just today I actually played in a tournament and in my 'rating group' (Your rating is a number calculated with a math formula, that shows how strong you are/should be compared to other players), I won a split first prize! 50 euro's profit, scoooreee.

Personally, I think chess should be taught at schools, like other sports as football, baseball, basketball etc. are. It's great for your mind and I've noticed that it can really help young children develop their brain and even do better at school! What do you people think (: ?

• Clan Friend

I played a bit of chess online (2-3 months) before I started to play et, then I quit and still don't play... my cat would have a higher elo than mine if I had a score :D , but my knowledge was only a little beyond the game rules, so it's obvious that I was bad. I was improving, though I think my brain is too lazy to think about all those combinations, I ended up ignoring even 2-moves threats...

I also used to play a sort of solitaire by watching some important game and trying to guess the next move, then calculating how much worse my score was if compared to that of the real player (using a chess engine).

After I quit et (not so soon, then), I will play chess again I think. It's really a great game.

- When did you learn how to play chess? before 10 - 15 years

- Do you still (actively) play it? No, just on Mobilephone if i am on journey (sometimes agains Human´s on Inet)

- Do you follow/attend any (big) tournaments? No i am to bad :P

I used to play with my father and my brother.

Since I no longer live at home (few years now :P) i have no opponent (my wife dont play it, and my kids are way to young).

I learnt it when I was 8 or 9 , I don't remember exactly...

I play it rarely cuz I only play it with my brothers and they are bad xD

I don't follow any tournament =)

But I like it, if it's a sport it's one of my favourite :)

I learned how to play when I was about 7 or 8 in scouts. I played a lot of tournaments there and once came second in the overall competition when I was 11. I also won the Cork county chess competition with my troop in 2007 :) We played it in school as well and I didn't win in that, but kept trying and 2 years ago I won the big trophy. It was the one thing I was happy with in school and the one trophy that still counts on my CV/resumé :D Here is a pic of me and it, and a pic of it on its own.

picturess010.jpg

picturess008.jpg

Chess is great, but I don't get to play it often. I was pretty good at it though, learned around 6th grade and always played at the chess tables in the school library.