Virus or not??

Skills!

Hello,

There are on my computer about each half our incoming messages which telling me this:

In (for example) POS7A.tmp is an error and needs to close. We apologize for this inconvenience. You were busy with an operation. This data may be lost. (Translated from The Netherlands)

The files where this is going about are called: POS1A0, POS1EC, POS1EE, POS1F0, POS1F4........ till POS281. I'm still getting new files in there. There are now about 40 files in like that and it's all in C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch. I'm using Windows XP. I don't trust it so does anyone of you know what kind of shit this is?! I don't trust this!

Thanks.

try to find the specific map or submap where this file is placed in; if its not in a windows system32 map or another windows map there's no problem for you to just delete it

would stop this message from apearing too i guess

Recently, there has been a virus released out there that is attack old OS, like XP. Serious enough that stores have stopped selling XP at all in stores. The OS can't handle this virus to well so some errors would be popping up on screen, but I haven't seen errors like that affiliated with this virus so Ill do some research.

try to find the specific map or submap where this file is placed in; if its not in a windows system32 map or another windows map there's no problem for you to just delete it

would stop this message from apearing too i guess

As I was saying, it is not one file but now about 50 files beginnig with POS and it is in :\C -> WINDOWS -> Prefetch

trojan/spyware

You may need to use safe mode to remove it. you should unistall programs like FunWebProducts,

MyWebSearch, MySearch Toolbar. Make sure that it isn't running in task manager, and end process.

also make sure your windows is up to date. Check everything that you downloaded recently.

Go into your internet options and clear your browsing history cookies

use Ccleaner

As I was saying, it is not one file but now about 50 files beginnig with POS and it is in :\C -> WINDOWS -> Prefetch

i actually ment to ask if those files are in one single map, if so check if it's required for something, if not delete the whole map

i actually ment to ask if those files are in one single map, if so check if it's required for something, if not delete the whole map

It is all in WINDOWS prefetch map. I don't know if it is required for something so I don't delete it..

I scanned it yet with Ccleaner and with AVG but it says that there is no virus are spyware are something else! NOTHING! :o

For more info: Here are Screenshots from the file and the error message:

http://imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&l=img840/3797/prefetch.png&via=mupload&newlp=1#

and

http://img823.imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&l=img823/6177/errorbmz.png

I am dutch so the error message is in dutch. BTW I actually don't think it is a virus, because it is in Windows Prefetch map and it doesn't hurt my computer. The only thing that is a bit annoying is that there comes an error that that thing is not working correctly.

I did a search on google for pos1fa.tmp Most of the results say you do have a virus.

I recommend doing the same search (google) there is alot of info out there.

I would also recommend the program Spytbot Search and Destroy it does a good job of finding spyware and adware.

It probably wont cure this problem but it may and it always finds junk on my computer to remove. Usually adware.

Also if you dont have it already add Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender. Seems to work well keeping my computer clean.

These programs probably wont fix your problem, however they may stop it from happening again.

I did a search on google for pos1fa.tmp Most of the results say you do have a virus.

I recommend doing the same search on google for pos1fa.tmp. There is alot of info out there.

I usually have to reinstall windows xp once every 6 months or so. I havent had any fun removing viruses

from my computer when it gets one so I just format and reinstall.

If you decide to do this make sure you back up your important files first!! Especially save your ETKey put it on another drive if you have one or email it to yourself if you dont have another drive.

edit: this is a link to the search I ran earlier Google Search pos1fa.tmp

If you have two different Anti-virus programs, they will bump heads.

you might want to try Avast anti-virus one of the best out . The full version is a must .

when you delete something make sure you delete it completely. Some files are deep down into other folders like appdata etc