Pregnant Woman Mauled to Death by Family Pit Bull

Baska

Of course, a dog's actions and behaviors will always be the responsibility of the owner.

However to say that the breed of the dog is not a factor is shortsighted imho....

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) published in 2000 a study on dog bite-related fatalities (DBRF) that covered the years 1979–1998. The study found reports of 238 people killed by dogs over the 24-year period, of which "pit bull terrier" or mixes thereof were reportedly responsible for killing 76, or about 32 percent, of the people killed by dogs in the attacks identified in the study."

The next closest contender only accounted for 18 percent of fatalities.

http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/images/dogbreeds-a.pdf

I aint even mad...lol.

You're only seeing what you want to see.

Of course, a dog's actions and behaviors will always be the responsibility of the owner.

However to say that the breed of the dog is not a factor is shortsighted imho....

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) published in 2000 a study on dog bite-related fatalities (DBRF) that covered the years 1979–1998. The study found reports of 238 people killed by dogs over the 24-year period, of which "pit bull terrier" or mixes thereof were reportedly responsible for killing 76, or about 32 percent, of the people killed by dogs in the attacks identified in the study."

I aint even mad...lol.

You say what others think.

I aint even mad...lol.

What you have here is what I am trying to get across...responsible for 32% just kind of odd how you never hear anything about the other breeds responsible for the other cumulative total of 78%. Like I said if it is not a pitbull you will not hear about it. I have a lot of experience with the breed and have rescued the 2 I have and will continue to do what I do. They are not for everyone to own. A lot of work and responsibility goes into owning a bull to make sure you dont get stereotyped by the masses. I live in a above average income area and you would not believe the amount of people raising bulls in this area it makes me happy and proud to be a responsible owner of these dogs. A once beloved family pet tormented at the hands of mankind for well over 150 years.....It will take time and education to reestablish their reputation.

Nature vs. Nurture the battle continues and will forever.....

Pit bulls have a different instinct than many other dogs; they are aggressive to defend the owner, however may question their authority and attack them (same for Rottweilers, Dobbermans, and some others). A border collie, for example, is a completely different dog, which is helpful towards the owner and works better together. For the aggressive dogs, you have to train that instinct out of them, which is not always necessary for other dogs. With a bad owner, it's not that they train them to kill, it's the lack of training at all. I do not question your (Funk&Anti) ability to train them well, but some people can't.

Anyway, I once got bitten by a dog (and ofcourse the owner denied that, yeah I bleed for no reason), and I promised myself that all following dogs won't get that possibility again. Perhaps a cute border collie pup or husky pup would get away with it (although with a husky, you pretty much literally have to beat it out of them), but that's it.

I live in a above average income area and you would not believe the amount of people raising bulls in this area it makes me happy and proud to be a responsible owner of these dogs.

I would not be surprised if there is a correlation between low-income families and pit bull attacks, or any dog attacks in general.

I kind of agree with Funk, treating your dog right is everything. My dad is a complete ass against my dog. I treat her like she needs to be treated, she stands lower then me. My dog knows that i am the boss, but it's true what they say that a dog can only have one real boss but i'm getting off topic here. Many dogs bite and indeed only a few can kill but not every dog is agressive. It's not the dog, it's the owner.

P.S: Funk, why do you bite people? That made me rofl, though.

In this case are we assuming that the woman mistreated her dog so it attacked her? That is the part that is not known at this time...

I think each argument has its merit.

I agree it is a dogs owner that is responsible and I also believe some dogs are not meant be pets either from a prior owner or its nature (a wolf blend is my first thought here).

Pit Bulls are unfortunately typecast and if they were to dissappear another breed would take its place, this is where humans are to blame with their mistreatment and some people shouldn't own them.

In the end it is a sad story and I feel sorry for all involved.

Edited by Thoracic

I kind of agree with Funk, treating your dog right is everything. My dad is a complete ass against my dog. I treat her like she needs to be treated, she stands lower then me. My dog knows that i am the boss, but it's true what they say that a dog can only have one real boss but i'm getting off topic here. Many dogs bite and indeed only a few can kill but not every dog is agressive. It's not the dog, it's the owner.

P.S: Funk, why do you bite people? That made me rofl, though.

the man left me no options...survival was my goal and I am still here....In a nut shell yes blame the dog for the terrible, awful incident..but please dont blame the breed...to me that would be the same as being a racist..

the man left me no options...survival was my goal and I am still here....In a nut shell yes blame the dog for the terrible, awful incident..but please dont blame the breed...to me that would be the same as being a racist..

True and why did you have to survive?