Pregnant Woman Mauled to Death by Family Pit Bull

Baska

PACIFICA, Calif. -- A pregnant woman was killed by one of her pit bulls, her mauled body found by her husband, police said on Friday.

The victim, 32-year-old Darla Norpa, was pronounced dead on Thursday afternoon at the couple's home in the seaside village of Pacifica, south of San Francisco, Pacifica Police Capt. Dave Bertini said.

Bertini said the woman's, Greg, husband told police he came home from work at around noon on Thursday to find one of the couple's pit bulls standing, bloodied, over his wife's mauled body.

First responders to the scene found the woman unresponsive in a front room of the home with massive trauma to her upper body, Bertini said.

A second pit bull was found cowering in the corner.

Bertini said the man told authorities that the attacking dog, a two-year-old male named Gunner, was confined in a back room.

But when the dog managed to escape and enter the front yard, officers shot it three times, Bertini said.

Both pets were taken to Peninsula Humane Society, which performs animal control services for San Mateo County under contract.

The society's spokesperson Scott Delucchi said a necropsy scheduled for Friday would seek to retrieve the bullets as well as examine stomach contents and tissue samples to establish whether the dog was correctly implicated in the attack.

Tissue samples will be taken from the second dog to determine if it could be returned to the victim's husband.

"This person has lost everything; this dog is all he has left," Delucchi said.

"Right now we are assuming that one dog was involved and one was not. We investigate hundreds of dog attacks every year but I've never seen anything like this in 13 years," Delucchi said.

source

They're raised to kill...I dunno why people actively seek out pit bulls as a pet...it's like looking for king-cobras as pets. California has got tons of stories all too similar to this one. The f***ing things are bred to go for the throat, and you want to raise children around them? Guess who this year's Darwin Award goes to?

Derp

They're raised to kill..

soo not true .... if u dont know how to handle the "big" dog and specialy that kind of breed , the best advice is - take a damn Chihuahua

All depend on way u raise a dog , if u want them to kill/fight/bite they will do that but they need to be "trained" for that but if you want to have obedient dog , all depend on you ... for example my ex gf dog - female pit bull , ex gf daughter can do wutever she wants to do with that dog , dog never show her teeth to anyone and never attack anyone ...

I agree with Baska that dogs need to be 'trained' because as kevin said, California has way too many stories on pit bull attacks. My friend has 2 pit bulls they are trained very well but i still wouldnt trust kids around them. i've checked a pitbulls teeth before and they are sharp as heck and they know how to use them too. gotta becareful around these dogs buddies!

All dogs teeth are sharp.

Pitbulls are NOT raised to kill and are NOT bred to go for the throat. These are instincts. Just like a bull will try to gore you with his horns, it's instinct.

UNFORTUNATELY for the pitbulls, certain people exploit this instinct, and begin training their dogs to fight. It also seems to be some kind of 'status' symbol for some people, if you own a pitbull.

I had a pitbull mix, and he was the sweetest dog ever, no attacks, never angry at anyone, when family came over with kids, they'd always play with my dog. I can't even count how many people I know that also have pitbulls, with kids, and trust the dogs with their life.

The issue is the owners mistreating the pitbulls. This goes for any breed of dog, any animal, or any human.

If you abuse, neglect, beat, starve, etc... an animal or human long enough, they WILL eventually reach their threshhold, and will snap. Abuse affects everyone differently, and everyone tolerates different levels, but the reality of it, is that Humans don't like it, and Animals don't like it. Dogs have feelings too. They experience many, if not all the emotions we people do. You see when your dog wags his tail, that's called HAPPINESS. If your dog was bad and stole food, or shit on the floor and you yell and tell him he was bad, and he lays in his corner with his head down, that's SADNESS.

I think the owners that mistreat dogs, causing them to attack should be shot first. :)

You see when your dog wags his tail, that's called HAPPINESS.

Tail wagging behavior indicates a friendly dog, but not always. The dog wags its tail, even when it is scared, excited, or when he feels insecure. the point is to be able to distinguish one from the other

This is not the first time i heard/read this kind of news where not properly trained & mishandled pitbulls are involved. As far as I know, pitbulls are one of the loving, sweet gentle dog breeds especially if properly trained. I sympathize with the husband (damn, he lost both his wife & baby) & I also sympathize with all pitbull-lovers out there coz this news has again given a bad reputation to the breed:(

Tail wagging behavior indicates a friendly dog, but not always. The dog wags its tail, even when it is scared, excited, or when he feels insecure. the point is to be able to distinguish one from the other

Hmm I guess you're right about that. My dogs have always done it when I would come home, when we play, etc.. It's always been good meanings with my dogs. Happy, playful, excited, etc.. So I didn't give it much thought about the nervous/scared/insecure etc..

And yes the difficult part is knowing what the tail wag means. It easier when you know your dog very well, but it can be difficult with a dog you're not familiar with.

Lol k, google this shit and see how many similar stories come up. There's something about that breed. You guys cannot refute that.

You don't need to train other breeds of dogs to not kill your children. If it's a case of abuse, why is it that so many pitbulls get abused? lol.

Type of owner?

Most people who own pitbulls around here are gang-banging lowlives. It's just an odd trend. Guess they buy them to seem 'badass'

"why is it that so many pitbulls get abused? lol.

Type of owner?

Most people who own pitbulls around here are gang-banging lowlives. It's just an odd trend. Guess they buy them to seem 'badass'"- Kev

sad but true... and that sucks for the dog...

I will tell you the problem....humans. Humans make them behave the way some of them do. I have 2 thats right 2 pitbulls and have not a damn worry. These dogs use to be called "nanny dogs" back in the 1930's google that. Many people are attacked, mauled and bitten by dogs daily but you dont here about it because it wasn't a pitbull that did it. I can show you the pictures of my wifes face if you dont believe me. her friends Samoyed put his teeth right through her cheeks. Unfortunate for the breed that they possess a large amount of power in a compact body. modern man used this for the most unfortunate reasons.

A 1997 study of dog bite fatalities in the years 1979 through 1996 revealed that the following breeds had killed one or more persons: pit bulls, Rottweilers, German shepherds, huskies, Alaskan malamutes, Doberman pinschers, chows, Great Danes, St. Bernards and Akitas. (Dog Bite Related Fatalities," Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, May 30, 1997, Vol. 46, No. 21, pp. 463 et. seq.) Since 1975, fatal attacks have been attributed to dogs from at least 30 breeds.

Cocker spaniels continually lead the top of the bite list annually. Point is this any breed can bite a few can kill...learn the facts and learn how to treat your breed. Pit bulls are no where near the toughest bad ass dogs. They are loyal and trustworthy and will defend their owners or themselves til the end . Do proper research not partial and unveil the facts as they should be. i have bitten more people then my dog, some where there is a dude with half a ear tell him I said hello...and he tasted like shit

Lol k, google this shit and see how many similar stories come up. There's something about that breed. You guys cannot refute that.

You don't need to train other breeds of dogs to not kill your children. If it's a case of abuse, why is it that so many pitbulls get abused? lol.

Type of owner?

Most people who own pitbulls around here are gang-banging lowlives. It's just an odd trend. Guess they buy them to seem 'badass'

you only see what you want to see open your mind....

My Neighbor's pit is a very nice and gentle dog. It really comes down to how the dog is treated/raised (true for any breed not just pits) which leaves the owner responsible most of the time, but it could also be the kids in the neighborhood poking at the dog or something like that (that's what happened with my uncle's dog).

It's sad about the woman though, I can't imagine what her husband is going through right now...

Edited by GI-JOE