Buying a mac

Mattle

Hi people :)

Currently I'm saving money for a new computer and made my choice that it will be an apple computer.

However, I'm not sure what's smart. A new Mac or a macbook pro? I want to use it for games, designing (Photoshop) and developing apps for the Iphone, and I will keep my Dell XP computer. I have enough space for that on my desk.

Perhaps you can tell me what's the best?

Currently I'm saving money for a new computer and made my choice that it will be an apple computer.

However, I'm not sure what's smart. A new Mac or a macbook pro? I want to use it for games, designing (Photoshop) and developing apps for the Iphone, and I will keep my Dell XP computer. I have enough space for that on my desk.

It depends on your requirements, as always. Assuming you have the choice between an iMac and a Macbook, it's the same as the choice between a desktop and a notebook...

id say save the money up, and buy a nice windows 7 instead. They can be very very nice computers at half the cost

No, a bit done with windows :P And I want a mac to make apps for my iPhone.

It depends on your requirements, as always. Assuming you have the choice between an iMac and a Macbook, it's the same as the choice between a desktop and a notebook...

True, however, when I want to play some games, can a Macbook run those too?

It is not that I hate Apples (I used too, but its becomming less), but why the reason for an Apple? MacOS? Hardware? Shinyness? Or only because you want to develop for iOS? Personally, I would skip the MacBook non-pro, it's not a piece of crap, but it's not that great either and if you spend ~1000E for a laptop, you want a bit more than cheap plastic. Go for the 13" or 15" MacBook Pro if you can afford it and want a laptop.

Since you'll use it for gaming, Apple isn't great for it. The 13" MacBook Pro (~1300E, Intel HD 3000, benchmarks) is sufficient for ET and CoD4 (not all at high), but don't expect the greatest performance out of it thanks to it's not that well perfor. 15" is a real improvement due to it's dedicated GPU, but at a much higher price (~2000E, AMD 6750M - benchmarks). The iMacs always have a dedicated GPU, the least is the 6750M. (~1100E, 21")

Ow, and MacOS doesn't support natively all applications (including many games), so I "guess" you'll still have to install Windows next to it. And, as I have to say always, laptops are not made for gaming, so actually you shouldn't try to do that at all :P

Edited by rolf

Are you talking strictly laptops here or does it matter? Is this something you'll be carrying around for school (as in will weight be an issue?).

If your looking for a laptop to say use around school, I'll give my 2 cents. I used a 15" macbook pro for my last 2 years of college. It was worth the investment but there were some drawbacks.

1. If you plan on using it outdoors at all...it'll probably suck. The glossy screens apple uses now days looks great, but reflect everything.

2. The cost premium. Granted if you ever need to use apples cust service, I've never had any issues with them and always great service. Some others have not.

3. With the ability to run both windows and mac OS, they are pretty bitchin and cover all bases. I used parallels as a VM for Windows XP and switched between the two frequently..but it kills your battery fast.

4. Don't watch family guy in class. Your dumbass friends will start laughing and get you busted b/c the instructor thinks your laughing at them. This is especially bad timing if he/she are telling you of the difficulties they have of being diabetic.

5. if you can get student pricing...DO SO. it'll save you a couple hundred bucks.

6. Double check apples RAM prices vs. like newegg or crucial.com. Apple usually charges premium prices for their RAM. The first thing I did was install the max (4gb) I could at a fraction of what Apple would have charged.

7. Depending on your needs, the 13" macbook pro might fit your requirements quite well. Unless you really need a bigass laptop (assuming that's what your getting) I probably would stay with 15" or smaller

8. The remote for the laptop is cool, but if you have an iphone you can just get rowmote for .99 cents and use your phone to control all kinds of shit. The remote costs $20 extra.

9. If your really going to use the laptop for gaming, the 15" MBP 2.2Ghz is really your only choice.

Hope that helps out some.

1. For all laptops

2. For all laptops

3. For all laptops (but most people only run Windows - two OS'es is always annoying, avoid that on battery and use bootcamp instead)

4. :P

5. True, it will save you 8% in the Netherlands. Buying at the right shop (look here Tweakers.net pricewatch (Dutch!)) can save you a bit more.

6. Definitly true. Use the Tweakers.net pricewatch for this :) Instead of 200E from 4 to 8GB, it's about 50E

7. The really noticable difference between 13" and 15" is only size and resolution of screen and the GPU.

8. No idea :P

9. Actually, true :)

Are you talking strictly laptops here or does it matter? Is this something you'll be carrying around for school (as in will weight be an issue?).

If your looking for a laptop to say use around school, I'll give my 2 cents. I used a 15" macbook pro for my last 2 years of college. It was worth the investment but there were some drawbacks.

1. If you plan on using it outdoors at all...it'll probably suck. The glossy screens apple uses now days looks great, but reflect everything.

If you buy online I think there is only option for the gloss screen, but in the store I was able to buy my 15" mbp with the matte screen. Works fine in the sun, I do lots of studying at the park

If you buy online I think there is only option for the gloss screen, but in the store I was able to buy my 15" mbp with the matte screen. Works fine in the sun, I do lots of studying at the park

They changed that a while ago, you are now able to select an Antiglare screen as well.

No, a bit done with windows :P And I want a mac to make apps for my iPhone.

True, however, when I want to play some games, can a Macbook run those too?

Ah okay...I want to hear how much u paid/ how nice it is (i am a little open to Apples..but i mostly want iphone/itouch :D)

All the games my friend has tried to buy, they cost like 20$ more...But some big games, like WoW, offer it for no extra charge than windows. Or you can always get it the 'free' way

I play ET on my MacBook Pro and I have never had any problems with it.

There are a lot of graphic programs for Mac nowadays and I although i hardly use those kind of programs, I have heard that they gradually work better in the Mac version. (not sure if this is true tho)

Yes, as much as a notebook can do.

However the big-graphic games from nowadays and can be played on the macbrook pro?

It is not that I hate Apples (I used too, but its becomming less), but why the reason for an Apple? MacOS? Hardware? Shinyness? Or only because you want to develop for iOS? Personally, I would skip the MacBook non-pro, it's not a piece of crap, but it's not that great either and if you spend ~1000E for a laptop, you want a bit more than cheap plastic. Go for the 13" or 15" MacBook Pro if you can afford it and want a laptop.

Since you'll use it for gaming, Apple isn't great for it. The 13" MacBook Pro (~1300E, Intel HD 3000, benchmarks) is sufficient for ET and CoD4 (not all at high), but don't expect the greatest performance out of it thanks to it's not that well perfor. 15" is a real improvement due to it's dedicated GPU, but at a much higher price (~2000E, AMD 6750M - benchmarks). The iMacs always have a dedicated GPU, the least is the 6750M. (~1100E, 21")

Ow, and MacOS doesn't support natively all applications (including many games), so I "guess" you'll still have to install Windows next to it. And, as I have to say always, laptops are not made for gaming, so actually you shouldn't try to do that at all.

My old laptop is near 6 or 7 years old. So that one needs a bit replaced however not using that much so I'll set my priority to a desktop computer like an Imac. I like the OS and design and the advantage that I finally can develop iPhone apps.

Indeed, figured already out that I want a pro if I choose for a laptop. Money isn't a real problem.

And again true.

2. The cost premium. Granted if you ever need to use apples cust service, I've never had any issues with them and always great service. Some others have not.

3. With the ability to run both windows and mac OS, they are pretty bitchin and cover all bases. I used parallels as a VM for Windows XP and switched between the two frequently..but it kills your battery fast.

4. Don't watch family guy in class. Your dumbass friends will start laughing and get you busted b/c the instructor thinks your laughing at them. This is especially bad timing if he/she are telling you of the difficulties they have of being diabetic.

5. if you can get student pricing...DO SO. it'll save you a couple hundred bucks.

6. Double check apples RAM prices vs. like newegg or crucial.com. Apple usually charges premium prices for their RAM. The first thing I did was install the max (4gb) I could at a fraction of what Apple would have charged.

7. Depending on your needs, the 13" macbook pro might fit your requirements quite well. Unless you really need a bigass laptop (assuming that's what your getting) I probably would stay with 15" or smaller

8. The remote for the laptop is cool, but if you have an iphone you can just get rowmote for .99 cents and use your phone to control all kinds of shit. The remote costs $20 extra.

9. If your really going to use the laptop for gaming, the 15" MBP 2.2Ghz is really your only choice.

Hope that helps out some.

Thanks for your comment. Will watch RAM prices

1. For all laptops

2. For all laptops

3. For all laptops (but most people only run Windows - two OS'es is always annoying, avoid that on battery and use bootcamp instead)

4. :P

5. True, it will save you 8% in the Netherlands. Buying at the right shop (look here Tweakers.net pricewatch (Dutch!)) can save you a bit more.

6. Definitly true. Use the Tweakers.net pricewatch for this. Instead of 200E from 4 to 8GB, it's about 50E

7. The really noticable difference between 13" and 15" is only size and resolution of screen and the GPU.

8. No idea

9. Actually, true

Indeed, already looked on pricewatch, great website :)

Ah okay...I want to hear how much u paid/ how nice it is (i am a little open to Apples..but i mostly want iphone/itouch :D)

All the games my friend has tried to buy, they cost like 20$ more...But some big games, like WoW, offer it for no extra charge than windows. Or you can always get it the 'free' way

I'll keep you in touch :)

• 5 weeks later...