Laptop (Need Advise plz)

FiveMagic

Well as a few of you know, my laptop which i used to play Cod 4 on died last month and finally be getting a new one soon within the next 2-3 days (I hope)...

I went into staples a few hours ago and the tech said Acer will either send me a brand new laptop or give me $730 store credit and then add the remainder of my warrenty onto the new one (little less then 2 years.)

They'll contact me within 24-48 hrs.

So... if i do get the in store credit (Which i hope i do) i want the best bang for my buck, My issue is there is not a huge selection of laptops at the store or online. I don't mind spending a $70 to get something better but i want others opinions first :) (Mostly skye's because he's a tech at staples :P )

Here was my old setup

Ati 4570

2.2ghz turion m500 duel-core

4gb ddr3 ram

Price:$730 W/o tax (To lazy to add up)

Here is a link to Staples laptop section

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_class.asp?CatIds=69%2C70,71&name=CA%5FCL%5F16inch

Currently i have been looking at the $800 HP with:

Ati 5650

1.7ghz p940 phenom quad-core (very close to i3 370m 2.4ghz dual)

6gb ddr3 ram

but i have never used Hp so i dunno if they're dependable.

(NOTE: if they send me a new computer instead of the gift card, this will mean nothing :( )

HP's tech support is horrible unless you speak whatever language the tech support speaks when you call the US line. The hp online tech support is useful if its not am ajor problem but if your pc requires replacement for return then good luck :/

It's a shame you're not close enough for the Staples I work at, if I don't get work back the first day from a company regarding warranty or out of store work, I'm calling them to find out what's going on, even if it pisses them off.

If they're giving you a store credit, it sounds like it's out of Gateway/Acer warranty and is now covered by the Staples ESP. If it was still under manufacturer warranty, it would have been sent to them for repairs.

The reason why it seems to be taking so long is because the store is doing things they way they aren't supposed to. When it comes to the Protection Plans, the company (Assurant) needs to talk to you the most, not the store. It should have been that you would have gone to StaplesESP.com, and started the "Fix my product now!" This would get you in touch with a warranty Agent that would walk you through all the information they would need, and they would have sent a repair box to your house to send back to them at no charge. This would send your laptop out for a depot repair, in which they would diagnose your computer, and repair all problems with it. Then, once finished, they'd send your unit back to your address. The entire process should have taken AT MOST, 3 weeks for troublesome repairs and 10 days on average.

Looking back, the issues started just before Christmas. It's now been 25 days since you took your computer into Staples. All in-store work is to have a 3 day turn-around, unless sent out for a depot repair or warranty repair; in which Blue Raven should be contacted every 3 days for an update if possible (Blue Raven turn around for depot repair is less than 2 days). The last computer I sent out for a warranty repair was an HP desktop sent out the first week of this month, and was returned to our store within 10 days from intake. The last computer I sent out for a depot repair with Blue Raven took 14 days from in-take, because they took too long to send us a box.

I would talk to the store manager of that Staples store about your experience with the EasyTech service, and let them know about your dissatisfaction with the turn around time and communication provided by the EasyTechs at that store. You might also want to let them know that they might be operating outside of Staples policy for Tech services; which may be reviewed by their DM (District Manager). I personally wouldn't mind transferring out there for a period of time to help get their Tech services into check (a LOT of these issues are addressed by the new Tech 2.0 internal tracking and policies). If the store is interested, have them request the TSAT scores for Staples 0858. If they look at you funny when you mention TSAT, they really aren't up to par with the rest of Staples stores. The TSAT is basically the responses our Customer Survey team receives for just EasyTech services, and is like the Copy & Print Center's CSAT. I have a strong feeling that your Staples store is behind on the times, and isn't operating to policy; of course, I'm an US Staples associate, but I doubt that Canada has different policies.

Edit: As for reliability from HP products, my wife's laptop is now 6 years old or so, been running strong since we got it, and just upgraded it to Windows 7 and it works better than before. My desktop started out as an HP desktop, but I've upgraded the parts so much that the only part left from HP is the hard drive.

Currently i have been looking at the $800 HP with:

Ati 5650

1.7ghz p940 phenom quad-core (very close to i3 370m 2.4ghz dual)

6gb ddr3 ram

but i have never used Hp so i dunno if they're dependable.

I used my hp laptop to play games besides ET for about a year. I ran into a problem with BSOD for awhile, but after contacting the HP support a few times with their online chat session they fixed it and has worked perfectly ever since :) I recently put windows 7 on there and its still kicking so HP has always been good to me

I would go with skydarkhawk He works in the field and knows his stuff if he talks to the staff for you vIa E-mail or phone atleast you''ll know whats going on Or get something going faster

I just got a new Glass computer desk from office depo here in Canada Best thing you can get here for what i wanted ..without having to wait 2 - 4 weeks shipping plus cost S&H duty and tax etc

However alittle trick i like to do when ordering anything online is where it says Enter Address I put : TechReview Inc. Then my mailing address

The shipping was free and next day serivce .. However this item was over there 70lbs limit and Outside of there USA free shipping Canadian orders extra charge

Driver took it right to my door

Next time you buy something online of shipped put in TechReview Inc lol the ball gets going in your favor

164064_480913776885_634011885_6317887_2346203_n.jpg

My experience with "Easy"tech was fine when the main guy was there (Because he actually knew what he was talking about and questioned what was taking so long), but the other staff... one smart ass said it was "just a part" and that part is the motherboard lol and then the guy said if you want another computer to work with then i would have to pay for another then return it within 2 weeks for a rebate.

If the tech today told me that he wasn't sure what was going on i would have been demanding and bitching at them for my money back, but i'll know if i'll be getting a new Acer or GC within the next day or two.

I guess if i do get the $ i'll be getting that HP :)

Thanks for the advise Skye, Corey & Timber.

Edited by FiveMagic

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146840&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL011811&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL011811-_-EMC-011811-Index-_-LaptopsNotebooks-_-34146840-L0B

lenovo G560(0679-99U) NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core P6100(2.00GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW Intel HD

400 on sale until tomorrow night, orginally 530