Widescreen resolution for ET?

Antichrist

I sat here for 10 minutes trying to figure out if this fit more into computer hardware, or into the ET section...

If anyone feels this should be moved, go for it. I'm on my first cup of coffee and not quite awake yet :)

As some of you know, my 19" LCD suffered an unfortunate accident, and has since been replaced with an ASUS 23" widescreen LCD with a 1920x1080 resolution.

Now I can't find a resolution that I like. I hate when the game/movie is formatted for 4:3, and is simply stretched to fit a 16:9, the distortion bugs me, nobody has a head that wide lol

But I also know that if the aspect ratio of the game were to remain the same, and be enlarged to properly fill the screen from top to bottom, I have empty spaces on the left/right. But if the ratio were kept at 4:3, and enlarged to fill the screen from left to right, there will be things at the top and bottom.

So what do you widescreen users suggest? I tried google searches, entering custom height/width specs, altering FOV, and none of it is working for me.

:thanks

EDIT: I'm currently playing at 1280x1024 to retain the original aspect ratio, but I have about 3-4" on each side of my monitor that aren't used.

Edited by Antichrist

There's a way. You can set a custom resolution in your config file.

I've seen the code posted in the forum before, but I never used it.

Try this:

seta r_mode "-1"

seta r_customheight "1080"

seta r_customwidth "1920"

Yeah but that just stretches it... theres no 16:9 aspect ratio setting.. Which is b/s.

It only stretches the text and HUD (which looks ugly) but the environment and the characters are in 16:9 (or 16:10), so you'll see normal, unstretched people. I have 1680*1050 native resolution tho I use 1400*1050 with black bars on the sides (GPU scaling). If my FPS didn't get too low at 1680*1050 I would use that one.

It only stretches the text and HUD (which looks ugly) but the environment and the characters are in 16:9 (or 16:10), so you'll see normal, unstretched people. I have 1680*1050 native resolution tho I use 1400*1050 with black bars on the sides (GPU scaling). If my FPS didn't get too low at 1680*1050 I would use that one.

Everyone gets stretched for me =/

you can use:

r_customaspect 1

0 means 4:3, 1 means 16:9, 2 means 16:10 ratio.

Not sure if it is just placebo, but think playermodels more clear with 2 on my 22" LCD with 103 fov.

There is not more to see left or right but the playermodel i can see a bit better.(i think :) ).

Greets AmbulanceMan.

if you have the new updated F|A menu, go to AUTOEXEC then click on Screen Resolution on top right. if you dont have new menu, but instead the old, go to options...then there should be something extra there (forget what its called...JayMod...F|A extras...somethin along those lines) then you can select screen resolution there also.

i play with 1920x1080 and dont have any stretching. hope this helps

ps: im on a 24 inch screen

• Clan Friend

@SunLight

from here: http://ur-gaming.com...ws.php?extend.9

Sorry but my English isn't the best. Sorry for this.

I only say with 2 Models look more clear or sharpen (with my Hardware), dont know how's the right word for it.

ok, I can tell you that I checked in et source code, and r_customaspect does absolutely nothing. They commented out that part.

And by the way it wasn't meant as a number like 0, 1, 2, but as a factor to calculate vertical fov from horizontal, only that they changed their mind and disabled it.

Otherwise it would have been possible to play with 4:3 resolutions without seeing 'fat' players on widescreen. And it's not possible. It's placebo.

That website talks about rtcw, I don't have it installed anymore but probably on rtcw it worked, then they decided to use a different algorhithm in et, and now it doesn't work anymore but they left the cvar there because they forgot.