NHL Playoffs Poll 2024

von Rantala

Hey, in past we had playoffs pools going in here clan. Then many of us got busy, but i think we can let and try it again. Its fun and give more excitement for the playoffs. I will copy and past Meow old post here, where he explain how everything works.

There is still about two week left regular season. So i will post this bit early. You have time till playoffs start. You can wait till regular season end, before sending your predictions. We can also discuss here on coming playoffs. I will try to remember bump this topic once season is ended and i can calculate points. I can do it in google Sheets and if anyone have google account and is willing to help me, let me know in pm. Thank you!

Here is rules and infos. Thank you @meow

Past years winners

2018 @L3ftY.

2017: @Letdown

2016: @L3ftY.

2015: @hobbit

Here's how it works:

We give a rank to each teams from 1 to 16

16 = the team you think has the best chance to win the Stanley Cup

15 = the team you think has the 2nd best chance to win the Stanley Cup

1 = the team you think has no chance to win the first round

After each round, you are awarded points using the rank you gave to the winning teams

1st round = rank x 1pts

2nd round = rank x 2pts

3rd round = rank x 4pts

final round = rank x 8pts

Example:

I give Chicago a rank of 14 and they lose in the 3rd round.

1st round = 14 x 1 = 14 pts

2nd round = 14 x 2 = 28 pts

3rd round = 0 pts

final round = 0 pts

So Chicago gave me 42pts.

We do this with every team and add up all the points.

You can post your picks here or send them to me by PM if you don't want everyone to copy you before playoffs starts.

I will post everyone's picks together when the playoffs begins.

You have until *INSERT STARTING DATE OF PLAYOFFS* (until the first game starts) to send me your picks or make changes to them.

Let's try to get every hockey fan in this pool. The more the merrier!

Good luck to everyone!!

Edited by von Rantala
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Playoffs will start today. So here comes mine

16. Carolina

15. Dallas

14. Colorado

13. Florida

12. New York Rangers

11. Edmonton

10. Nashville

9. Boston

8. Vegas

7. Los Angeles

6. Vancouver

5. Winnipeg

4. Tampa Bay

3. Toronto

2. New York Islanders

1. Washington

I do think current format what NHL use is bad. How many Toronto vs Boston series we have seen in first round? Or how many Edmonton vs LAK we have seen? I dont think its fair system, because some divisions are a lot stronger. Example in my mind Toronto had to beat a lot stronger teams than Edmonton. I did like 1vs8 (old) system more. But i think NHL should use Europe system. Where winning of regular season truly have impact. Now i dont think Dallas is happy to face Vegas in first round? In EU system winner would meet team who is at 16 position (last playoff position).

So now we would have

Rangers vs St. Louis Blues (Washington season would end in regular season)

Dallas vs New York Islanders

Carolina vs Vegas

Winnipeg vs Tampa

and so on...

I think those would be good series too.

Now NHL think that making bigger rivalries is right way. Yes that mean we see best hockey in first round. How many times we have seen series to go game seven in first round? Comparated to Stanley Cup finals or Conference finals, where we see 4-0 or 4-1 series. If you watch history and biggest rivalries, those did born when teams was playing in later rounds, those Toronto vs Boston series did happen in Stanley cup or Conference finals in past and those did born those rivalries, not playing in first round. Its not fair to fans or to players that you dropp out in first round, when you should dropp out in Conference finals or Stanley Cup finals. I think two best teams should see in Stanley Cup finals, but now its possible that best teams see in first or second round and winner of that serie often has win Cup in past years. I understand this system you can have "bigger underdog" to go Stanley Cup finals, but no matter what system, there always come those miracle stories and runs to Cup. To win Cup you have to win every team, and its no matter who you face, but to face biggest challange in Stanley Cup finals rather than first round is better for everyone. Thats how i believe. Example Toronto, i think in other system, they wouldn't dropp out in first round in so many years, probably in second or third round and some years in finals, and for fans, organisation and players, its better to have long runs and not dropp out in first round. And no i am not Toronto fan, i just use them example, because they division been very hard last 5-6 years. Imagine Stanley Cup finals between Rangers and Islanders or Calgary vs Edmonton, or Toronto vs Montreal or Pittsburgh vs Flyers. Now those cant happen. I understand that there might be travel issues, but those can be always solved.

• von Rantala changed the title to NHL Playoffs Poll 2024

These are @D..X Playoff predictions.

16. Dallas

15. Carolina
14. Edmonton
13. Rangers
12. Florida
11. Vegas
10. Vancouver
9. Colorado
8. Tampa
7. Boston
6.  Winnipeg
5. Toronto
4. Nashville
3.  LA
2. Washington
1. NYI

• Thanks 1

Red Wings came so close to making it. Should be a good postseason though. Hope I did this right 🫣 If not let me know and I’ll adjust accordingly. Here are my predictions:

16. Edmonton 

15. Dallas

14. Colorado

13. Vancouver

12. Carolina

11. Tampa

10. Florida

9. Winnipeg

8. Rangers

7. Vegas

6. LA

5. Nashville

4. New York Islanders

3. Boston 

2. Toronto

1. Washington

• Thanks 1

B TEAM !!! 

16. Dallas

15. Edmonton

14.Carolina

13. Florida

12. DC Caps

11. Nashville

10. Colorado

9. NY Rangers

8. Winnepeg 

7. Los Angeles

6. Vancouver

5. NY Islanders

4. Tampa Bay Losers

3. Toronto

2. Vegas Knights

1. BOSTON!!!!!!!!

16. BOSTON!!!!!!!

15. Vegas Knights

14. Toronto

13.  Tampa Bay Losers

12. NY Islanders

11. Vancouver

10. Los Angeles

9. Winnepeg 

8. NY Rangers

7. Colorado

6. Nashville

5. DC Caps

4. Florida

3. Carolina

2. Edmonton

1. Dallas

Edited by mraw435
I failed to read the directions and flipped the order I wanted xD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Its been great playoffs. I been watching all Carolina, Dallas, Nashville and Colorado games and 10 min recapts from rest of the series. Vegas looking strong, but i do believe Oettinger. He is first and only second goalie after Niittymäki who is my idol. I did love to follow Bäckström and Koskinen careers too and enjoyng to watch Fleury in Wild now. Today is Hockey day, i watched Nashville and Colorado games and now waiting to watch Carolina live game :)

• Like 1