ET BEGINNERS #2 Playing on servers across the Atlantic

qrzy

Hey! I am currently on vacations and have some more time I could spend playing ET occasionally. Most of you are probably still at work at noon or after noon, that's why european servers are usually empty except on the evenings. I have tried playing on american servers, but it is not fun when I'm getting ping 110-120ms and enemies still deal damage when I hide behind a wall (generally they shouldn't see me).

Do you use some special configs to deal with high latency? I see there are some american or canadian players on beg2 or vice versa, european players on jay1, so it shouldn't be so much painful to play with high ping.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, qrzy said:

european players on jay1

I am from EU and I play with 120 ping in Jay1 all the time. There are no special config for that. You will get used to it, I don't even notice the difference anymore.

You can try and mess around witth cl_timenudge -10 or -20, but I personally dont use it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, qrzy said:

Hey! I am currently on vacations and have some more time I could spend playing ET occasionally. Most of you are probably still at work at noon or after noon, that's why european servers are usually empty except on the evenings. I have tried playing on american servers, but it is not fun when I'm getting ping 110-120ms and enemies still deal damage when I hide behind a wall (generally they shouldn't see me).

Do you use some special configs to deal with high latency? I see there are some american or canadian players on beg2 or vice versa, european players on jay1, so it shouldn't be so much painful to play with high ping.

There's nothing you can do about the high ping, only thing you can do is get used to it, primarily by not playing reactively (like you would with a low ping among other low pingers) but by playing proactively. A high ping is a two-edged sword, you can use it to your advantage as well: it's not only that on your screen hits register late - if you shoot the opponents, your shots register on their screen late as well. With a high ping you can shoot opponents without them seeing it on their screen until it is already too late - often allowing you to shoot them as 'sitting ducks' who do not even try to dodge your shots. On your screen you shot half a clip into them, on their screen they get shot once or twice and immediately drop dead.

In general, whether low ping or high ping, you have to keep in mind: what you see on your screen at a certain point in time is not the actual game state from the server's perspective but only an approximation. There's always a delay in actions displayed and interpolation happening. If the ping for everybody is low and stable and the tickrate of the server is high, that approximation is very close. If pings are high (for you or others), unstable and the tickrate of the server is low (which it is in ET by modern standards due to limitations in the game engine), then the difference between your "simulated" on-screen game state and the actual server game state is large (getting hit late, although already behind a wall; seemingly shooting a whole clip into an enemy but the shots not registering/dealing damage (because to the server you were already dead while you were firing); and so on) . In all online games it helps if you keep that in mind and play accordingly, even under optimal conditions.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Apollonius said:

Just be like me and shoot blindly at walls and Italy's ducks and everything you see

Italy has ducks??? I want to shoot some ducks

7 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

Italy has ducks??? I want to shoot some ducks

One variation does have ducks. Probably Streets of Italy.

• Surprise 1