Frame Rate Drops

NinjaDeer

So I'm returning to ET after over a decade away and I'm running into an issue with FPS drops. Most of the time I can run the game at 90 fps. But when I look in the direction of where a lot of people are and lots of stuff is happening, I drop into the teens. Can anyone guide me in the right direction to fix this? I feel like the solution is simply I'm just unsure what to do. Im playing on the Jaymod Recruiting server.

I-7 8700K @ 3.7GHZ

GTZ 2800 Super 8GB

16gbs Ram

PCI-E SSD 1tb

Edited by NinjaDeer

you can try /r_primitives 1 - i believe is for nvidia 

your setup is more than capable of playing ET, cap your frames to 125 using

/com_maxfps 125

also try upping your hunk/zonemegs 

/com_zonemegs 256

/com_hunkmegs 256 

don’t forget to do a /vid_restart once entering the cvars via console using tilde ~ key 

you can up them more than that but i get 166/125 stable using those exact cvars. 

might help if you post your config so we could dig deeper to find the problem, are you running ETLegacy or the vanilla ET client?

Some maps do have substantial fps drops in certain areas, especially with a full server 

Edited by bLade.

Try ETLegacy. It  runs better on modern systems. If you are using Vanilla ET (2.60b) then try

r_primitives 2, this should fix fps drops for modern GPU-s.

Also com_zonemegs and hunkmegs do nothing if typed into cfg, even if you vid_restart or what ever. These values are set when game game launches, so they need to be set to shortcut target line.Add to command line(target) of ET Shortcut: " +set com_hunkMegs “512” +set com_zoneMegs “192” +set com_soundMegs “192”

Also make sure you are  using your dedicated GPU for running the game, not the one on your motherboard. You can confirm this by looking at your GPU driver control panel. 

Edited by HarryAimpotter
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, HarryAimpotter said:

Try ETLegacy. It  runs better on modern systems. If you are using Vanilla ET (2.60b) then try

r_primitives 2, this should fix fps drops for modern GPU-s.

Also com_zonemegs and hunkmegs do nothing if typed into cfg, even if you vid_restart or what ever. These values are set when game game launches, so they need to be set to shortcut target line.Add to command line(target) of ET Shortcut: " +set com_hunkMegs “512” +set com_zoneMegs “192” +set com_soundMegs “192”

Also make sure you are  using your dedicated GPU for running the game, not the one on your motherboard. You can confirm this by looking at your GPU driver control panel. 

Im downloading ET legacy now. Can i keep my profile from my last ET install so i keep my XP and such?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NinjaDeer said:

Im downloading ET legacy now. Can i keep my profile from my last ET install so i keep my XP and such

Yes they can be moved. Copy etkey from 2.60b to ETLegacy. And if jaymod had their own file to move then that too. Not so familiar with jaymod, but atleast silent mod you need to copy old silent.dat to right place.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tukkonen said:

Not so familiar with jaymod, but atleast silent mod you need to copy old silent.dat to right place.

etkey to etmain folder for NQ/Jaymod/Legacy mod, silent.dat for Silent mod to silent folder and nkey for Nitmod to nitmod folder. 

If you keep your 2.60b installed while using ET Legacy it should find your saved etkey tho.

• Like 2

hi there i got the exactly same problem as you on my old pc with i7-4790k, there was  quite normal fps until look in some directions and immediately drops to 10 fps makes the game unplayable. First of all you should check all your graphics card drivers to be updated, but i really did not help for me, strange thing with mine problem was that sometimes when i entered into game it came with stable 90 fps no matter what but sometimes problem persist just with no reason. I manually with command and config file changed my screen resolution to properly one. And it turned out the clue was the max fps command /sets com_maxfps 90 and r_displayRefresh “proper display refresh monitor value” . Try that, if it won’t help, we’ll figure something out,  i get rid of the same problem so we’ll surely fix this. 

Edited by Paul007

19 hours ago, NinjaDeer said:

So I'm returning to ET after over a decade away and I'm running into an issue with FPS drops. Most of the time I can run the game at 90 fps. But when I look in the direction of where a lot of people are and lots of stuff is happening, I drop into the teens. Can anyone guide me in the right direction to fix this? I feel like the solution is simply I'm just unsure what to do. Im playing on the Jaymod Recruiting server.

I-7 8700K @ 3.7GHZ

GTZ 2800 Super 8GB

16gbs Ram

PCI-E SSD 1tb

Are you playing through Steam?

Edited by RASHOMON
  • Like 1