ET NQ #1 Map bug - Praetoria 2 [general tank glitch?]

RaV137

Jumped today evening into NQ1, just at final 3 minutes of map Praetoria Mission Two: Hell on Wheels.

Nothing special, until last 30s of map, when Allies had tank right before the final destination - then some bug happened, making it impossible to Allies to finish the map.

It was completly destroyed (health bar was at 0% and Axis were throwing nades into it), but the tank could not be fixed, for the 20-30 last seconds of the map - just ~5 seconds before the time went up, there had been an voice announcement, that the tank has been damaged and it finally was possible to repair - unfortunately for Allies it was too late.

It really made some people sad or angry and I believe it should be fixed; besides, it wouldn't be bad if that map will be replaced until it will be fully fixed.

I had some chat with jijiz about it, below you can see the condums from chat after people noticed that bug and a short private discussion with him.

What do you think about it?

PS.

Unfortunatelly I wasn't be quick enought to record a demo, I'm sorry :(

PS.2

In file all lines starting with "comment" (//), are my input after I cleaned condump from irrelevant output :)

praetoria_bug_short_1.txt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Surprise 1

Don't know why I haven't noticed that there is post with all the bugs - dear Moderator, please move it to that section and I'm sorry for all inconvenience :x

Not a solution but to give this bug some perspective: i have seen this multiple times, on several servers/mods and on several maps. 
The tank was at 0 percent, the engine kept roaring. Needed to get 'damaged again' before being able to 'repair it again'. It is, of course, more noticable when it happens at crucial objective times. 

Haven't been able to lay a finger on the exact moment/situation when this happens tho. 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

6 hours ago, Buckwild said:

Praetoria tank gets damaged by anti-tank gun,

After a few hits, It cannot be repaired

That's completely irrelevant to the original post though...

The problem is on something different, I am not sure how it happens and why, but sometimes the vehicles on NQ1 after being destroyed get stuck without HP, but they still are not damaged, hence cannot be repaired. I am wondering if that happens on other servers as well, I would love to know that, because if so - then that's an issue within the engine of the game itself.

Rav, I can assure you, that this is just poor timing, and it's not a problem with Praetoria itself.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xiahou Dun said:

I am wondering if that happens on other servers as well, I would love to know that, because if so - then that's an issue within the engine of the game itself.

there is your answer @Xiahou Dun

11 hours ago, Kurupttt said:

i have seen this multiple times, on several servers/mods and on several maps. 

PS. i remember too that this occured on other servers aswell, cant tell if silent or jaymod. but it wasnt NQ. (i think it was B1/Jay3 but not sure)

• Thanks 1

It is not just praetoria or NQ mod, seen the bug many many many many times over the years, goldrush is a usual one with tank but as @Kurupttt pointed out damaging further usually triggers "the tank has been damaged"  announcements etc and then it allows the repair.

Never really thought about why it does it if i'm honest, the usual damage further usually works. Think i've only ever seen it once or maybe twice in 17 years where a cmd like !nextmap or !endmap etc has been needed.  

• Like 1
  • 100 1

Have seen it a recently on Silent, Beg2. This isn't incidental, it happens every now and then. Every time it happened, we were able to repair the tank in the end..even if it meant i had ask my opponents kindly to damage it again ("Enemy, please wreck my sht"). Goldrush GALS is probably the map i've seen this most frequently. 

Irritating and can mess up objective on rare occasions (as in Rav's sad example) - i personally experience this as a minor minor bug. 

Okay, I'll try to wrap it up, what we already know, maybe it would be a good idea to come up with some final solution :)

- The bug is that the Tank is damaged (0% HP), but no announcement about it, which makes it impossible to repair it until the info appears.

- The bug isn't map related - there are people, who observed it on other maps, like Goldrush.

- The bug isn't mod related - it happens on servers with other mods than NQ.

- To speed up the 'tank damaged' info, it should be under fire (grenades, artillery etc.).

- The bug is usually just inconvenient, not a blocker, because it always is autofixed after a while (still may be very irritating when time is running up).

What I'm suggesting is we should try to catch this bug if it happen again - some demo, timestamps et. In that way it would help us to better understand the problem, maybe there is a solution to it.

I also think that it wouldn't be bad if we remove this map with some other without tank, to decrease the possibility of it happening (e.g. replacing it with one of the maps I or someone else listed).

Thank you for your comments, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 😄

I'd also like to hear some suggestions from you - maybe we should leave it as it is?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RaV137 said:

I also think that it wouldn't be bad if we remove this map with some other without tank, to decrease the possibility of it happening (e.g. replacing it with one of the maps I or someone else listed).

Then we would have to remove virtually all maps with vehicles and we would be left with only Baserace. Not a good solution there.

When it comes to solving this issue, I am 99% certain that this is related to ET engine misinterpreting in game events and not properly changing the status of a vehicle to damaged. It happens with other vehicles, not only tanks, so I am sure that this is related to the Fixed/Damaged status not being assigned correctly by the game engine itself, in which case, there is nothing we can do about it.

My solution with Tanks that are damaged but can not be repaired: I throw a nade at it myself then most of the time you will here that the tank has been damaged and you can repair it right away.
This is only my personal experience, I don't know if this is still working or it will work on this map but it is a suggestion you may consider.

58 minutes ago, Xiahou Dun said:

Then we would have to remove virtually all maps with vehicles and we would be left with only Baserace. Not a good solution there.

I agree, we should not remove all vehicle-based maps, I suggested only Praetoria 2, because on this map mainly that bug occurred - but I'm not forcing it, just exchanging ideas :)

59 minutes ago, Xiahou Dun said:

When it comes to solving this issue, I am 99% certain that this is related to ET engine misinterpreting in game events and not properly changing the status of a vehicle to damaged. It happens with other vehicles, not only tanks, so I am sure that this is related to the Fixed/Damaged status not being assigned correctly by the game engine itself, in which case, there is nothing we can do about it.

I was wondering if we could do anything - is there any GitHub or sth like this, where W:ET's source code is stored? Maybe creating an issue there, or even PR, could help.

1 hour ago, Alakazam said:

I throw a nade at it myself then most of the time you will here that the tank has been damaged and you can repair it right away.

That's interesting - being in a team, to which the tank is assigned, and trying to destroy it either with a nade or an artillery, solves the problem? We should try to reproduce it next time the bug occurs, that would be good temporary fix, that should be spread to players. Thanks for info! 😄 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

7 hours ago, RaV137 said:

That's interesting - being in a team, to which the tank is assigned, and trying to destroy it either with a nade or an artillery, solves the problem? We should try to reproduce it next time the bug occurs, that would be good temporary fix, that should be spread to players. Thanks for info! 😄 

Only works dep on the server settings, some wont allow you to damage your own tanks etc.

Either way damaging further does usually solve the problem.

Removing maps with tanks etc is more a no no simply because its not the map that is the problem and more the game having a glitch, for a 1000 games of goldrush played it may only randomly happen once if at all.

I was more surprised as i thought it was common knowledge that damaging further fixed it sort of thing but have to remember some have not played as long i. 😄

• Like 1

• RedBaird changed the title to Map bug - Praetoria 2 [general tank glitch?]
  • Leader
On 6/26/2022 at 2:21 PM, RaV137 said:

Don't know why I haven't noticed that there is post with all the bugs - dear Moderator, please move it to that section and I'm sorry for all inconvenience :x

I am going to leave this topic here because of the testimony by others that this might be a General Glitch and not especially specific to Praetoria. 

I added " [general tank glitch?]  " to the topic title.  

If this seems to happen too often in just Praetoria, then someone can report it in 'that section'. 😄  Keep @Buckwild's post in mind, to avoid that confusion.

{If anybody does create a post in "Maps and it's issue - Info needed" then please provide a link here.)

• Like 3
  • 100 1

Yeah i have seen this bug quite , happened on beg2 yesterday morning (map venice) the tank was bugged for a while with 0 Hp (tank animations were normal in 0 hp like the wheels r fine but the hp is 0 and no smoke is coming out) after like bots spam thorwing nades it "announced the tank has been damage" sry don't have proofs next time if it happens again will record it for sure but i have seen it happen quite a bit so i agree with what redbaird said as it could be the general tank glitch and not map issue.

Edited by bosskhan
spelling mistakes