ET SILENT #1 IDEA: Turn off team collision during spawn protection?

MaTt0

This is just an idea I thought of and would like to hear other peoples feedback.

I mainly play on Silent, but this would work good on Jaymod too.

As servers get to max population it can be chaos when you spawn with a bunch of people around you.

Myself, I am ready to go, holding down sprint to get back into battle as soon as I spawn.

But sometimes people take a second to start moving again or go AFK for a second.

This causes me to bump into everyone and waste all my sprint on nothing but running into teammates causing a delayed spawn exit. (especially sucks when you are getting arty'ed near spawn and want that extra second of protection to get safe)

I was thinking maybe turning off "team collision" during the spawn protection phase could help out with this.

I'm even for turning off team collision completely, but I can see how that might make gameplay a little different than it should feel.

So my theory is that during the spawn protection phase, turning off team collision should smoothen things up when rushing back into battle. 

I'm also not sure if this is even an option, but would love to see it!

Edited by MaTt0
  • Like 6
  • 100 1

Interesting idea.

I'm like you, ready to go, and a bit frustrated when others aren't ^_^

But, in my opinion, at least for Silent1, I'm not sure it would be a good idea.

Sure, at my own personal level, it would be great to be able to get out of spawn as fast as I can. But looking at the bigger picture, not so much. And here is why:

Silent1 has short re-spawn times because the server was designed for all skills levels, including beginners.

As a consequence, on many maps, these short spawn times make it a lot harder for the attacking team (especially when the server is very populated).

Therefore, turning off collision would make the teams re-deploy even faster then they already can. Thus, making it even harder than it already is for attackers.

Regarding HC, I don't think it's a problem since the server is a lot less populated. And when it is, it's mostly pros and veterans playing there. So everyone is usually getting out quickly.

That was my 2 cents for Silent 🙃

Not talking about other mods/servers, since I'm not as familiar with their dynamics.

Edited by Cross Marian
  • Like 4
  • 100 1

This is a good idea to reduce some of the ‘too many players in too small of a spawn area’ issues.

I have experimented with adding this to jaymod. To reduce resolidification collisions I have players become solid to teammates when they fire their first shot.

Another option would be to use a timer like the current spawn shield in jaymod or a distance from spawn origin but it would need to be adjusted for each map which is a bit clunky.

It might also be good to make any idle teammates stop colliding after a few seconds without any input.

There will probably need to be some visual indicator that you can pass through a teammate similar to the connection interrupted icon.

• Like 1
  • 100 2

9 minutes ago, Cross Marian said:

Silent1 has short re-spawn times because the server was designed for all skills levels, including beginners.

As a consequence, on many maps, these short spawn times make it a lot harder for the attacking team (especially when the server is very populated).

Therefore, turning off collision would make the teams re-deploy even faster then they already can. Thus, making it even harder than it already is for attackers.

Spawn times are easily adjusted though if a feature like this is ever added to silent. The last public update of silent was over six years ago so I wouldn’t expect a new version anytime soon.

• 100 1

13 minutes ago, Cross Marian said:

Interesting idea.

I'm like you, ready to go, and a bit frustrated when others aren't ^_^

But, in my opinion, at least for Silent1, I'm not sure it would be a good idea.

Sure, at my own personal level, it would be great to be able to get out of spawn as fast as I can. But looking at the bigger picture, not so much. And here is why:

Regarding HC, I don't think it's a problem since the server is a lot less populated. And when it is, it's mostly pros and veterans playing there. So everyone is usually getting out quickly.

That was my 2 cents for Silent 🙃

Not talking about other mods/servers, since I'm not as familiar with their dynamics.

Fair counter point. 

So the only way it would be considered is if the axis spawn timer was a few seconds longer, which is highly unlikely to change I assume. 

• Leader
2 hours ago, the cake is a lie said:

To reduce resolidification collisions I have players become solid to teammates when they fire their first shot.

Another option would be to use a timer like the current spawn shield

"Fire first shot", oh, that is clever!  I had thought of linking it to the spawn-protection-timer already.

"Resolidifaction" made a 💡 go off in my head!  They would respawn, but be as 'unsolid' as a free-moving spectator, able to pass through players, but not through walls or other "solids".  😄   Very Interesting, indeed! :hmm While 'unsolid' they could pass through enemies, too! 😄 (Maybe not, if the enemies were also classed as 'solids') :hmm 

• 100 1

• Platinum VIP

For me, it's not such a big problem. But maybe we could give it a try? But i personally think it's better as it is.

• Administrators
On 5/9/2022 at 8:48 PM, MaTt0 said:

Fair counter point. 

So the only way it would be considered is if the axis spawn timer was a few seconds longer, which is highly unlikely to change I assume. 

Pick the maps where you facing issue... we can change spawn times based on player count to reduce bumping in to each another and/or modify spawn protection, so folks get opportunity to get out of spawn. 

PS I feel sorry for mortar users :)  

On 5/9/2022 at 8:50 PM, MikeSlayer said:

this would improve leaving spawn so much on jay1

im really in favour of at least trying this if its not too much trouble to implement

Mike - maps please :) Thank you in advance.

maps with congestion issues at spawn on Jay1

pirates allies 1st spawn 
goldrush axis final spawn
marakesh axis 1st spawn allies final spawn
hotchkiss allies 1st and final spawn
riverport axis final spawn
venice axis 1st and final spawn

• Like 1