Need New GPU?

nAbish

• Platinum VIP

Took a vid to show what my gpu does while playing ET. Mind you ET is the only thing running and this is how my GPU is reacting. Is this normal? Any way to help/keep it steady?

• Confused 1

Hi. 

I have the same problem with my laptop, using AMD Ryzen 3 PRO 2300U w/ Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx   2.00 GHz.

On my pc, the game is running perfectly on Intel I7. 

I had another laptop before this one, which had also AMD and the game was running so slow...I was like damn

I came to the conclusion that this is because the AMD hardware....I guess in some way is not compatible with some older games...I tried others and they worked perfectly, but this one...nah.

If Isolve this issue , I will come with an answer...For the moment, I'm still working on it...I don't know what is happening...Sometimes the game is running perfectly...other times...the laptop goes crazy like your pc :))

• Like 1

try a older driver.   maybe take out your gpu and clean it .

i just went an searched that card .. its a pile of crap get a diff one. there are alot of issues with this card. and gaming. i believe =F|A=Beast had one we tried to get his working and no go he just got a diff card fixed his issue.

nvidia works better for et!!!!!!!!!

i think your fighting a lossing battle with that card....

does it just go funky in et .. what about other games.

i did find this.

Edited by captnconcrete
  • Like 3

• Platinum VIP

Trying to auto overclock and see what it brings. Maybe it will help, no telling at this point

I am an AMD fan and will always back them up (may just me being stubborn and not wanting to try new things). On the flip side, my Nvidia Geforce 1060Ti is great and have never had an issue over the last 1.5 yrs. 

Some quick fixes which I would recommend off first glance:

- Reseat GPU 

- Run a malware check

- Uninstall/Reinstall Discord (read somewhere in the past this has worked...cant cite where I read this!)

- adjust power settings 

Let us know if OC works! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

i was looking into a better gpu i run a 660gtx my board can hold 3 gpus.

but good lord the prices wtf. just why .some cards cost as much as a used car .guess ill be buying used ones.lol

• Sad 2

Even used is a scary these days, those bitcoin miners are dumping their spent cards on the market when they start failing.   If I didn't know the seller I would give it a graphics load before paying up.  A couple games on max settings and a graphics benchmark program.   Good luck Captn, it sucks out there in GPU land

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yeah  few yrs back i bought a 8800gts i burnt that  card up melted a hole in middle of it.lol 

had 660gtx before this one and it came with a piece gone.lolbought used . thank god paypal gave me my money back.

i was looking at 1050 cards whats ur guys thoughts on them ...they seem to be only ones with a reasonable price tag.are they that much better then say a 970 

• Like 1

I guess it depends on your trying to accomplish.    If it is new games, then there is some benefit.  But from an ET perspective it's a downgrade.   When I f'd up my GTX970 and got a used GTX1060, I noticed a difference.  The 970 was better (faster to load, better vid settings).  Technically you are doing the same thing I just did, going from a 660 to a 1050.   It will be interesting to hear what others say........

On a side note, I spotted this random comment on a forum, I get it's not exactly what you have, but it provides some perspective.

Is the GTX 960 4gb still good 2020?

If you're going to be playing a lot of heavy gaming then no, it's not worth it. Its basically a minimum spec gpu especially for games. The performance sits in between a 1050 and a 1650. It's a weak gpu and should be fine for games that have pixelated type graphics such as Minecraft, and Terarria.

Hey Capt! I just looked up the GPU I bough at the end of 2020 (right before the skyrocketing prices) and it is selling $400 more than what I spent 😑

Similar to what Blunt said - I have read so many reviews of used cards burning out pretty quickly unless from a friend or something. If you can wait, here are some points I read recently:

- Nvidia projects prices will drop in the 3rd and 4th quarter of 2022

- Many cryptos (namely Ethereum) are hoping to switch to proof of stake this year which will reduce the demand of GPUs for miners

- European Union and US scientific community see trends of significant decrease in COVID cases after the Omicron spike - resulting in potential "normalcy" and improved global supply chain

If you are pressed for time - the 1050 seems solid (coming from a novice trying to learn more every day haha) and price isn't horrendous on newegg!

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-660-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050/2162vs3650

side note: @nAbish did you get those spiking issues sorted out?!

Edited by mraw435
  • Like 1

i am a old old old fart dust gamer . lol

these new games dont really trip my trigger i think the most it would get used in my pc is if i played crysis again.

an yeah my 7800gtx really worked well for et .lol an my old 9800gt . those two worked best ever in et. i dont really have any complaints with this 660gtx either once u get the right drivers.

I play RTCW:ET with an integrated CPU in my AMD Ryzen 4750G Pro (Buerau) and my AMD Ryzen 5700G (Gaming PC).

That's ok for me.

Remember RTCW is playable with 20 year old graphic cards.

Literally built a new PC without a video card in it last week. The iGPU in my CPU is roughly on par graphically with the GTX1060 that was in my last build, so it's actually barely a downgrade graphics wise.

Was hoping to get a GTX3070 at some point, but I refuse to pay more than retail price for it. I'll wait as long I need to.

Edited by Raw64life
  • Like 2