Server Issue Bad GUID Invalid Etkey

Dink the Clown

Question

Hi there as asked by @Vasylich since he has the same kinda issue as I am as well.  Lately I have been visiting other =F|A= servers to welcome other players if I see some, and as of lately I have been trying to log on Nq 1 server via the server list and or connect to IP which I mainly do nq1.fa-clan.com:27960.  It acts like it wants to connect but goes to main ET screen with  error message saying "Bad GUID" Invalid Etkey so what I was wondering is there maybe a possibility that there is something wrong with the port because if I go to another server . ie jay 2 ,jay1, or silent then use FA's server list then try to connect to Nq1 then there isn't a issue.  Can someone please explain to me why this is??   Ty. 

Edited by Dink the Clown
Miss typed IP address

23 minutes ago, Vasylich said:

I will also ask @Dink the Clownto run ET without mods. Then click on the "Play online" button. Then Dink should turn his eyes to the lower right corner of the monitor. There is a button that says "Turn Punkbuster On / Off". If Dink has a button that says "Turn off Punkbuster", then my theory has failed. If it says "Enable Punkbuster", then Dink needs to click on this button. Then launch the mod and try to connect to NQ1.

@PikeKiller try that too. Maybe that helps you

• Like 1

Hmmmm.   I am wondering if that is the issue because I cannot connect to Nq2 due to the fact that it says I am missing a particular file.  But for some reason it will not redirect me to the filesharing server to download, but what's odd is if I don't have the particular Nq file to connect to nq2 then why am I able to go on Nq1 from other servers.   Is Nq2 different from Nq1?   I wouldn't think it is.

3 minutes ago, Dink the Clown said:

Hmmmm.   I am wondering if that is the issue because I cannot connect to Nq2 due to the fact that it says I am missing a particular file.  But for some reason it will not redirect me to the filesharing server to download, but what's odd is if I don't have the particular Nq file to connect to nq2 then why am I able to go on Nq1 from other servers.   Is Nq2 different from Nq1?   I wouldn't think it is.

Same

your et key isnt initialising to solve this you have 3 options

run et legacy

or

turn on punkbuster as suggested in the kick message   /pb_cl_enable 1

or  

connect to any other FA server first which initialises your key then dont shut down et and join NQ

• Like 2
  • 100 1

Haha I was trying to reproduce it before @MikeSlayer replied but it is indeed true @Dink the Clown I tried reproducing with a fresh enemy territory installation (I also use 2.60b) and it indeed show the error. To resolve it permanently, you have to do /pb_cl_enable in console and it will show it is starting up punkbuster service. After that it will work fine.

If you prefer a workaround to ensure the punkbuster service will always be enabled, you can use the same method I showed in a previous topic:

I assume you are using Windows and not using etlegacy. If so can you go to your et shortcut and post fix this to your target path

+pb_cl_enable

. This is just a non elegant workaround to your issue so it will enable punkbuster service using pb_cl_enable each time you launch the application.

I have edited the post with additional example:

1) Right click on your et.exe shortcut and select Properties.

2) Then under target path add the post fix +pb_cl_enable as mentioned earlier. It should look something like this 

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\et.exe" +pb_cl_enable

3) Note: The above target example might differ slightly depending on where your et installation is located.

Edited by blackknight8653
  • Like 2

NQ2 = Original 2.6B Server

NQ1 = Etl 2.77.1 Server

@Dink the Clown

Please try the attempt i wrote in vsaylichs topic and tell me if it worked.

Start 2.6b Client as admin, connect, get disconnected for the stated reason above, open console,

Type /pb_cl_enable 1 

Enter

Then type 

/Pb_writecfg 

Enter

And then restart the game.

See if it eats the cfg.

You might have to run ET as admin though, so it can overwrite the PB_config in windows Appdata folder.

If it wont work, then the PnkbstrA.exe (chck windows task manager if its there) host process on your Windows is missing and you propably need to reinstall the 2.6b with including the PB_client. 

I am very much confident it will solve it.

Or, as always,

use ET Legacy and just be happy without asking why 🤗 🙈

Edited by Vice86
  • Like 1

PS 

All u need to understand is,

if you change PB_Xxx cvars, you must not forget about 

PB_Writecfg 

While running the game as windoof admin. 

Otherwise it wont overwrite the Values in the Punkbuster Service Folder. 

Usually when you start the game for the Very first time on a blank windows machine, it asks you if you want to enable punkbuster. If you pressed no, it wont initialise in the first place.

If you reinstall with PB enabled then, it wont change, because the ET_deinstallation will only delete the ET folder, but not the Punkbuster folder in %appdata%'s Punkbuster folder. So the new installation will read the existing PB folder and swallow whats in there.

Or you delete the remaining files by hand and try reinstalling then.

Edited by Vice86

• Leader
On 8/23/2021 at 3:49 AM, Vice86 said:

%appdata%

Putting that into a File Explorer address window took me to appdata\roaming.  My Punkbuster folder is in appdata\local (Win10 pro).  One can go up one level from Roaming and then open Low to find it.