Want to build a new desktop (Jan/Feb 2021)

ajnl

Nothing at all wrong with a B550 motherboard, it will work just fine and will be great none the less......However IMHO for the extra money or the same sort of money you may as well get an X570 mobo mate.

Just silly things like the 550 boards are PCIe 4.0 "ready" but they lack "full" 4.0 over all areas, for instance most inc that one have 2xM.2 slots where 1x M.2 slot is 4.0 BUT the other is only 3.0.

At least if everything on the mobo was 4.0 its backwards compat for 3.0 etc, where as the other way round you have to watch what you use, cant be buying 2 x M.2 SSD drives at 4.0 as only 1 will work...if that makes sense. 

Overall its doubtful you would ever notice much difference but as i've said previously you might as well build the absolute best you can now.

Edited by Snuffs99

On 12/18/2020 at 8:35 PM, Snuffs99 said:

Overall its doubtful you would ever notice much difference but as i've said previously you might as well build the absolute best you can now.

Yeah that exactly what I want to do now, thanks for the help :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hey everyone,

I was finally able to get my computer parts, however I had to settle for an older GPU b/c of the current situation. I figured, hopefully it'll improve in the coming 1 - 2 years and I can upgrade the GPU later.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - I know the 5600x is good enough for gaming, but I wanted more for some computer simulations that rely on CPU power. Since the 5900 was just a little more than the 5800, I decided to go for it.
CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

GPU: RTX 2060 :(

Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-F

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws F4-3200C16S-16GVK

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB M.02

Reusing my PSU: Enermax Platimax EPM1500EGT
Reusing my case: Coolermaster HAF 932 Full Tower Case

Total cost: 1859 euro

Wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped me and gave advice :). Going to post pictures later.

Edited by ajnl
  • Like 2

Looks good mate, was going to message you the other day tbh and ask how it was going so good timing.

You did the right thing with Gfx card IMHO, at this point you are much better off waiting for things to calm down price wise etc.

Re SSD

I have the 970 and it is a great and fast drive but it is limited to PCi-e 3.....Next time you decide to buy a new SSD grab yourself the Samsung evo 980 or even a WD 850 as they are almost twice as fast again as the 970 and your mobo has both a PCi-e 3 AND a PCi-e 4 M.2 slots so the 970 can go in the PCi-e 3 slot and the newer one in the 4.

Nice spec system mate and you should be good for a good while.

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP
20 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

You did the right thing with Gfx card IMHO, at this point you are much better off waiting for things to calm down price wise etc.

Good luck. I been waiting 2 years for those prices to settle...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, -=HipKat=- said:

Good luck. I been waiting 2 years for those prices to settle...

Think your in a timezone of your own, was only really from the last quarter of 2020 that stocks were none existent etc caused by lock downs and lack of raw materials etc.

Either way i wont be buying into the 3000 RTX series or the 6000 AMD range, by the time it comes to getting one at their suggest retail price the newer cards will be out...or almost out.

• Platinum VIP
2 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

Think your in a timezone of your own, was only really from the last quarter of 2020 that stocks were none existent etc caused by lock downs and lack of raw materials etc.

Either way i wont be buying into the 3000 RTX series or the 6000 AMD range, by the time it comes to getting one at their suggest retail price the newer cards will be out...or almost out.

2 yrs ago, it was impossible to find GPU's because of the bitcoin miners and prices for any you COULD find were twice what they were just a few months prior to that

On 5/14/2021 at 7:27 PM, Snuffs99 said:

Looks good mate, was going to message you the other day tbh and ask how it was going so good timing.

Re SSD

I have the 970 and it is a great and fast drive but it is limited to PCi-e 3.....Next time you decide to buy a new SSD grab yourself the Samsung evo 980 or even a WD 850 as they are almost twice as fast again as the 970 and your mobo has both a PCi-e 3 AND a PCi-e 4 M.2 slots so the 970 can go in the PCi-e 3 slot and the newer one in the 4.

Nice spec system mate and you should be good for a good while.

You're right, you had told me to get the x570 and I was going to, but by the time I ordered everything I had forgotten the reasoning why and ended up going with the advice my colleague gave. Thing is though, do you think you would notice the difference between the two for gaming?

I pulled all the old parts (including fans) of out my computer case and cleaned it as best as I could.

spacer.png

Motherboard:
spacer.png

CPU:
spacer.png

CPU cooler (Dark Rock Pro 4)
spacer.png

Just barely enough room with the RAM:
20210515-163316.jpg

20210515-165158.jpg

Power supply and GPU. I have the 1TB SSD (M.2) installed, but also added about 3TB in HDD from my old computer, they are still running so no need to replace yet.
20210515-173702.jpg

Still waiting on fans (want to replace my old ones), but the rest is all done.
20210515-173659.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, -=HipKat=- said:

2 yrs ago, it was impossible to find GPU's because of the bitcoin miners and prices for any you COULD find were twice what they were just a few months prior to that

I really cant remember any major issues getting cards 2 years back. well other than the first week or so after release where everywhere is always out of stock etc

1 hour ago, ajnl said:

You're right, you had told me to get the x570 and I was going to, but by the time I ordered everything I had forgotten the reasoning why and ended up going with the advice my colleague gave. Thing is though, do you think you would notice the difference between the two for gaming?

I suggested to go for the 6800 or the 6900XT at first but as stock was shit with scalpers everywhere you were better off buying a cheaper make do card for now then upgrade as and when you can.

Which Gfx card did you actually get?, doesn't say in your post above but pics show an RTX so 2000 series?.

Edited by Snuffs99
  • 100 1

16 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

I really cant remember any major issues getting cards 2 years back. well other than the first week or so after release where everywhere is always out of stock etc

I suggested to go for the 6800 or the 6900XT at first but as stock was shit with scalpers everywhere you were better off buying a cheaper make do card for now then upgrade as and when you can.

Which Gfx card did you actually get?, doesn't say in your post above but pics show an RTX so 2000 series?.

Yeah I wanted the 6800xt. 

I did write in it in my post, the RTX 2060 😛

• Platinum VIP
18 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

Dude, I built this desktop 2 years ago and had to use the onboard Intel GFX for months until an affordable and available card showed up and even then I had to settle for a 1080, not even a 1080ti.

Sure there were cards, if you wanted to pay 4 figures for one. Even the card I got was over $700 (USD) dollars

My desktop case is from about ~2011/2012, so I decided to also change the fans. One of them had an issue anyways, it would give of a loud/annoying sound at > 60% of max power. 

Replaced the 3x 230mm coolermaster fans with 3x 200 noctua fans.

1x 140mm coolermaster fan with a 1x 140mm Be Quiet! fan (to match the CPU cooler).

Anyways, my build is complete, bois updated, software updated, gpu overclocked by 10.6% and stable. Already installed World of Tanks b/c I really enjoyed that game before, but I have to start back from zero since my account is gone. What games do you guys play / what games should I get? 😛

Already planning on getting the new flight simulator, even though I dont think my GPU can handle it at full graphics, but hopefully after a future upgrade it will.

fans.png

Edited by ajnl
  • Like 1