Want to build a new desktop (Jan/Feb 2021)

ajnl

As the title says, I'd like to build a new computer beginning 2021. Its been a while since I've researched and looked into parts. Would anyone be willing to help me out? My total budget is between 1500 and 2000 euro. I live in the Netherlands so getting parts here would be easier, however it would be possible for me to get parts out of the USA if the savings are worth the effort. I would like an AMD processor and AMD graphics card.

Budget buildup: 
AMD: ~300 to 500 euro, would like to get a good aircooler for the processor
Graphics card: I'd like to get the a radeon 6000 series, but at the moment those are unavailable here, hopefully in the coming months it'll get better
Motherboard: 100 to 200 euro?
RAM: Between 16 and 32 GB ram

SSD: 1x 1TB SSD

Power supply: I believe the radeon 6000 series requires a min 750W power supply. My current computer has a power supply of 1000W and it still works, maybe I can reuse it? Otherwise I don't mind buying a new one.

I have a case already that I like from my previous build. I also still have hard drives that are still fine for storage and backing things up. I want to use the SSD for the operating system and games. Programs and files will go on the HHD.

I have new computer screens, so I don't need that.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think.

All sounds good, i will be going the AMD 6000 GFX card (6800xt) route after xmas when prices are all back to normal and stocks are replenished. 

CPU wise atm i'd go the Ryzen 5000 series as it compliments the 6000 GFX card...Atm AMD is king..

Mobo wise if you go the AMD 5000 route then grab an X570 AM4+ board as they are PCI-e 4.0 across all lanes, so CPU, GFX, Memory M.2 etc.

RAM wise if you can afford 32 then go for 2 x 16GB sticks so you have dual channel and also still have spare slots, for Ryzen between 3200-3600 seems to be the sweet spot.

Your current 1000W PSU will be fine, the new AMD GFX cards are not that power hungry and your current PSU should have all the connectors needed and power to spare.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

All sounds good, i will be going the AMD 6000 GFX card (6800xt) route after xmas when prices are all back to normal and stocks are replenished. 

CPU wise atm i'd go the Ryzen 5000 series as it compliments the 6000 GFX card...Atm AMD is king..

Mobo wise if you go the AMD 5000 route then grab an X570 AM4+ board as they are PCI-e 4.0 across all lanes, so CPU, GFX, Memory M.2 etc.

RAM wise if you can afford 32 then go for 2 x 16GB sticks so you have dual channel and also still have spare slots, for Ryzen between 3200-3600 seems to be the sweet spot.

Your current 1000W PSU will be fine, the new AMD GFX cards are not that power hungry and your current PSU should have all the connectors needed and power to spare.

Awesome man thanks for the help. Is there any reason to get a processor compared to the ryzen 5000? 

My plan is to wait for the amd 6800 xt, and to get 32 gb ram. For the ram side, are there any brands i should focus on? Currently I have G.skill in my old build 

14 minutes ago, ajnl said:

Awesome man thanks for the help. Is there any reason to get a processor compared to the ryzen 5000? 

My plan is to wait for the amd 6800 xt, and to get 32 gb ram. For the ram side, are there any brands i should focus on? Currently I have G.skill in my old build 

Ryzen 5000 series CPU's are the new kid on the block and by all accounts very nice processors, so it just makes sense at this point to get one of those to compliment the 6800xt. By compliment i mean that the new AMD 5000 (Zen 3) series CPU range and the new AMD GFX cards like the 6800xt are basically designed around one another so while you dont have to go the 5000 series route IMHO you would be doing your system a disservice not going the Ryzen 5000 series CPU and AMD 6000 series GFX card. Prices start around the 340 Euro mark for the Ryzen 5600x which is a very nice and more than capable CPU, you could always go for the 5800x if the budget allows, its around the 500 Euro mark.

The new Ryzen CPU's also come with an adequate air cooler in the box which should suffice for now and maybe invest in an AIO (all in one) water cooler later if the temps are high etc.

RAM side??....well budget plays a big factor tbh, obviously the more you spend the faster the timings/latency but anything around the CL16 timings range for 3200MHz or CL18 for 3600MHz should be just fine. Personally i currently have Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3600 MHz AMD (Ryzen Tuned) DDR4 Memory Dual Kit @ CL18(18-22-22-42), far from the fastest but more than does the job sort of thing. I think most RAM tends to come with life time warranty so whatever you buy should be good life expectancy wise.

On a side note your doing the right thing waiting till next year as atm the good parts are like gold dust with prices waaay over inflated and stupid due to supply and demand...Once the supply catches up the prices should then drop to their actual prices.

• Thanks 1

I agree, Ryzen 5000 series would be the way to go for the CPU.

The RTX 3060 Ti looks very promising price wise, the one that NVIDIA just announced recently. Although it only has 8GB of memory. The Radeon one has more, no? 16GB I believe. 

• Like 1

The amount of RAM will not give you performance if you do not fully use it. The higher the RAM clock speed, the significantly the faster CPU performance. :) 

If you have a dualchannel motherboard. That 4x8GB won't be faster than 2x16GB. Unless you buy a quadchannel. 

CL doesn't matter. The higher the RAM frequency, the higher the CL. Unless you up the Volt, the CL not fall.

2x8GB is enough to play. But 2x16GB is not expensive there. :) Better to take 2x16GB because they are available on the market with a higher frequency than 2x8GB.

If you choose a motherboard for an Intel processor. I recommend gigabyte / aorus. Necessarily with the Zxxx chipset. For the same price as Asus, they offer more. 

They offer more supported memories and therefore more choice. As well as higher frequency.

750W power supply is enough for a 65W / 90W prock and 250W graphics.

Will not use 16GB on the graphics card in game. @Hitch

Edited by FILIPE
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys, thank you all for your replies and information!

(2x16GB) 3600 MHz AMD (Ryzen Tuned) 

@Snuffs99 What do you mean with ryzen tuned?

If you have a dualchannel motherboard. That 4x8GB won't be faster than 2x16GB. Unless you buy a quadchannel. 

@FILIPE Do you recommend going for a quadchannel motherboard? If so, which one is good for the amd ryzen 5000?

One of the reasons I'd like more ram is b/c I won't only use the computer for gaming, but also for some FE model calculations which does benefit from more than 16gb ram.

In my opinion, the quad channel is not needed. Quad Channel is not very fast. I do not recommend anything to you, because I have not tested any Am4 boards. 😕

X570 this is the best solution. You also have to look at other motherboards for yourself. Maybe a different one will suit you better. Look for Aorus boards with the X chipset.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/AMD-Socket-AM4

Edited by FILIPE
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, FILIPE said:

You also have to look at other motherboards for yourself. Maybe a different one will suit you better. Look for Aorus boards with the X chipset.

Sounds good, thank you :)

Ok this is what I have so far:

CPU: Ryzen 5800x - 500

GPU: Radeon 6800xt - 600 (estimate for next year?)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2x16GB, 3600 MHz - 148

Crucial MX500 1TB, internal SSD - 105

Still goin to look for a motherboard.

Going to reuse my current computer tower, and powersupply. The PSU is just a few years old.

With regards to the amount of VRAM needed, it depends on what you want to do with your upgraded PC. If, e.g., you want to play modern, next-gen games in 4K resolution, I would recommend a GPU with more than 8 GB of VRAM. The 3060 Ti performs very well for its price, basically en par with an RTX 2080 Super, but I have doubts about it being a future-proof GPU because of its limited VRAM. 

Your 1,000 W PSU is  more than enough for your Ryzen 5800X/Radeon 6800 XT setup, in fact, you could even think about downsizing to 750 W because your 1,000 W PSU probably won't be anywhere near its efficiency sweet spot for your system. You had to calculate it, but possibly it could be even cheaper in the long run to buy a new 750 W PSU.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ajnl said:

Crucial MX500 1TB, internal SSD - 105

Still goin to look for a motherboard.

Going to reuse my current computer tower, and powersupply. The PSU is just a few years old.

Ideally you would want an M.2 NVMe SSD, they are by far the fastest and newest. The M.2 slots were basically designed from the ground up for fast solid state drives due to the speed limitations of SATA3.

Most X570 motherboards will have at least 1 x M.2 NVMe PCI-e 4.0 slot so you would ideally want an SSD that can fit and use that slot to its potential. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lt Steiner said:

With regards to the amount of VRAM needed, it depends on what you want to do with your upgraded PC. If, e.g., you want to play modern, next-gen games in 4K resolution, I would recommend a GPU with more than 8 GB of VRAM. The 3060 Ti performs very well for its price, basically en par with an RTX 2080 Super, but I have doubts about it being a future-proof GPU because of its limited VRAM. 

Your 1,000 W PSU is  more than enough for your Ryzen 5800X/Radeon 6800 XT setup, in fact, you could even think about downsizing to 750 W because your 1,000 W PSU probably won't be anywhere near its efficiency sweet spot for your system. You had to calculate it, but possibly it could be even cheaper in the long run to buy a new 750 W PSU.

The 1000W allows me to maybe have dual GPUs at some point in the future though, right?

4 minutes ago, Snuffs99 said:

Ideally you would want an M.2 NVMe SSD, they are by far the fastest and newest

Yeah I found those after posting this, will definitely do that, thank you :)

• 100 1

Just now, ajnl said:

The 1000W allows me to maybe have dual GPUs at some point in the future though, right?

Yeah I found those after posting this, will definitely do that, thank you :)

If possible you want the newer PCI-e 4.0 M.2 variant mate. ;)