Want to build a new desktop (Jan/Feb 2021)

ajnl

4 minutes ago, Snuffs99 said:

If possible you want the newer PCI-e 4.0 M.2 variant mate. ;) 

Sounds good, i'll do that :)

The 1000W allows me to maybe have dual GPUs at some point in the future though, right?

If you think about SLI, this topic is not worth attention. It must contain the same 2x PCI Express x16 PCIe 4.0.
Most games are not written for SLI. So the first graphics tab will work while the second one will be bored. In addition, one graphic is stronger than two for the same price.

X570 GAMING X rev. 1.0 - This motherboard supports memory up to 4266MHz. I didn't think about the higher frequencies? @ajnl

You don't need a M.2 NVMe SSD for games. Because SSD is doing well. Such discs are bought if, for example, films are assemble.

Edited by FILIPE
  • 100 1

42 minutes ago, FILIPE said:

You don't need a M.2 NVMe SSD for games. Because SSD is doing well. Such discs are bought if, for example, films are assemble.

Agreed, and yes its unlikely you will notice much difference however in any PC your always limited by the slowest device. Given a new x570 motherboard, the Ryzen 5000 series CPU's and the AMD 6000 series GFX cards are all PCIe 4.0 capable it seems a bit pointless not getting an SSD that can also support 4.0.

Personally i'd be filling any available M.2 NVMe slots of a motherboard before SATA3...Fill the M.2's with the best you can then work backwards and fill the SATA3 slots as you need to. 

Given ajnis current list i think for the sake of a bit extra on an NVMe it might as well be the best it can be.

Either way i think any PC using the Ryzen 5800x CPU and the 6800xt GFX card will be a really good system.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, FILIPE said:

If you think about SLI, this topic is not worth attention. It must contain the same 2x PCI Express x16 PCIe 4.0.
Most games are not written for SLI. So the first graphics tab will work while the second one will be bored. In addition, one graphic is stronger than two for the same price.

X570 GAMING X rev. 1.0 - This motherboard supports memory up to 4266MHz. I didn't think about the higher frequencies? @ajnl

I mean there is a decent list of games that do support crossfire, no?

https://amdcrossfire.fandom.com/wiki/Crossfire_Game_Compatibility_List

13 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

Agreed, and yes its unlikely you will notice much difference however in any PC your always limited by the slowest device. Given a new x570 motherboard, the Ryzen 5000 series CPU's and the AMD 6000 series GFX cards are all PCIe 4.0 capable it seems a bit pointless not getting an SSD that can also support 4.0.

Personally i'd be filling any available M.2 NVMe slots of a motherboard before SATA3...Fill the M.2's with the best you can then work backwards and fill the SATA3 slots as you need to. 

Given ajnis current list i think for the sake of a bit extra on an NVMe it might as well be the best it can be.

Either way i think any PC using the Ryzen 5800x CPU and the 6800xt GFX card will be a really good system.

Its not like the m.2 ssd's are that much more expensive, difference is like 30 euro?

SLI and crossfire are pretty much obsolete now mate, been pointless for a few years tbh and just a total waste of money.

And yes the M.2 SSD's are not that much more price wise.

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Snuffs99 said:

SLI and crossfire are pretty much obsolete now mate, been pointless for a few years tbh and just a total waste of money..

At the end of the day it'll support ego and bragging ;) hahaha.

Alright fine, I won't consider dual GPU :P, and maybe consider buying a new 750W PSU. 

Edited by ajnl

7 hours ago, ajnl said:

Alright fine, I won't consider dual GPU :P, and maybe consider buying a new 750W PSU. 

This is not the way 😁

Your 1000W PSU will be more than fine mate, hitting a PSU efficiency isn't any issue in any way, save the money or send it me if your hell bent on wasting it. <------Yes This IS the way. 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

This is not the way 😁

Your 1000W PSU will be more than fine mate, hitting a PSU efficiency isn't any issue in any way, save the money or send it me if your hell bent on wasting it. <------Yes This IS the way. 🤣

i remember the time 10 years ago, when i heated my room with my 500W noname PSU and an AMD 965 Black Edition,...

This combination got so hot, you could easily burn your feet while you layed one leg on the tower to rest... (ahh, good old times)

Then i considerd buying a golden green 80+ with 800W PSU, and all of a sudden my legburns got better,... 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

This is not the way 😁

haha alright man, thanks again for all the help. I'll be sure to post in January once I start actually ordering parts.

Hey,
Beside your budget, the very 1st reason to udate/upgrade computer is the need and then check also if you need to absolutely replace all parts.
I can tell you my experience, may be it could help you :
I've just apgraded my PC this week but I just replaced board CPU and graphic card
New material was compatible with RAM and wattercooling system

I bought a Aorus Master z390 I picked this model because chipset is optimized for Intel "K" processors, because it is also equiped with 10 USB ports (1 USB-c 4 USB 2 and 5 USB3) and integrated bluetooth
Intel 9700K for the processor because I need powerful processor I wor in IT so I need a powerful one
RTX 3080 Because of games of course 😅

For these I paied around 1500€

There was already 32GB RAM, NZXT phantom case be quiet powersupply 900W if I'm not mistaking and a wattercooling  thermaltake (just for the processor)

From what I read, it looks like you prefer AMD, but I hope my approach of how I define my needs could help you 😉

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Youp said:

Hey,
Beside your budget, the very 1st reason to udate/upgrade computer is the need and then check also if you need to absolutely replace all parts.
I can tell you my experience, may be it could help you :
I've just apgraded my PC this week but I just replaced board CPU and graphic card
New material was compatible with RAM and wattercooling system

I bought a Aorus Master z390 I picked this model because chipset is optimized for Intel "K" processors, because it is also equiped with 10 USB ports (1 USB-c 4 USB 2 and 5 USB3) and integrated bluetooth
Intel 9700K for the processor because I need powerful processor I wor in IT so I need a powerful one
RTX 3080 Because of games of course 😅

For these I paied around 1500€

There was already 32GB RAM, NZXT phantom case be quiet powersupply 900W if I'm not mistaking and a wattercooling  thermaltake (just for the processor)

From what I read, it looks like you prefer AMD, but I hope my approach of how I define my needs could help you 😉

Yeah, that is an option to just update certain components for sure. However my current build is ~8 years old. The only thing I've upgraded between then and now is the graphics card and PSU (needed for the GPU). I also stopped gaming in the last 3/4 years. So I haven't kept up with computer components.

My preference is definitely AMD (my current build is also AMD). Considering most of the parts are old, I want to start with a clean slate again, aside from the case and PSU. 

This is the case I have, it should fit everything i need/want.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EPUQAE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 100 1

14 hours ago, ajnl said:

Yeah, that is an option to just update certain components for sure. However my current build is ~8 years old. The only thing I've upgraded between then and now is the graphics card and PSU (needed for the GPU). I also stopped gaming in the last 3/4 years. So I haven't kept up with computer components.

My preference is definitely AMD (my current build is also AMD). Considering most of the parts are old, I want to start with a clean slate again, aside from the case and PSU. 

This is the case I have, it should fit everything i need/want.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EPUQAE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8 years old is indeed rather old but the graphics card is more recent.
If the graphics card is close from what you need,my advice is you should upgrade in 2 steps all componnnents 1st and gpu then
I paied mine around 950€ it is around 50% of the budget of a new gaming computer.
If you proceed this way, the life cycle of your upgrades will be programmed and more comfortable for your purse 😅

For the case, I have another advice, you should becarful to the space behind the graphics card, I had to move my harddrives bay elsewhere inside it, because the card is very long ...

Here is the monster :
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3080AORUS-M-10GD-rev-10#kf

On 12/11/2020 at 11:32 PM, Youp said:

8 years old is indeed rather old but the graphics card is more recent.
If the graphics card is close from what you need,my advice is you should upgrade in 2 steps all componnnents 1st and gpu then
I paied mine around 950€ it is around 50% of the budget of a new gaming computer.
If you proceed this way, the life cycle of your upgrades will be programmed and more comfortable for your purse 😅

For the case, I have another advice, you should becarful to the space behind the graphics card, I had to move my harddrives bay elsewhere inside it, because the card is very long ...

Here is the monster :
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3080AORUS-M-10GD-rev-10#kf

The case is huge, I haven't see a graphics card that doesn't fit 😛

I had this card in it, and it fit with lots of room to spare

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-radeon-hd-7970-crossfire-review.html

On 12/14/2020 at 10:53 AM, ajnl said:

The case is huge, I haven't see a graphics card that doesn't fit 😛

I had this card in it, and it fit with lots of room to spare

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-radeon-hd-7970-crossfire-review.html

Hey,
If I'm not misatakin, your card is 28 cm long
RTX380 I'm using is 32cm for example which is not a so big difference with the 7970
If you have still space with your card, it should be certainly enough for a recent one
If you change your graphics card, you should choose a card with opened fans system not with the turbine system, because it can become very noisy at some point
I don't know if it is the same terminology for Radeon, for Nvidia, this cooling system is called "founder"

On 12/9/2020 at 7:00 PM, Snuffs99 said:

This is not the way 😁

what do you guys think of this motherboard?

https://rog.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix/ROG-STRIX-B550-F-GAMING-Model/