Jump to content

WW2. And what does it mean to you??


Dink the Clown

Recommended Posts

I find myself wondering this since we all play and enjoy a WW2 themed/based game wondering about history and our war veterans especially the ones that have fought in WW2 and think of the hell our soldiers went through.  I myself thank them everyday for the heroic actions that they did for our freedoms and just wonder if anyone else feels the same way I do?  And does anyone have any family members that served in any wars.   Please share your thoughts and if anyone has any stories to share feel free.

        Citizen Soldier Vietnam GIF by Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S. (VFW)

 

  • Like 5
  • 100 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Found this magazine in the store last year and had to get it. Lots of great hour by hour photos, maps, and stories of how D-Day/Operation Overlord happened 75 years ago

 

1.JPG

 

 

4.JPG

5.JPG

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
  • 100 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello,

 

 It is still very hard topic for me to be honest..., it's sad that most people knows just a litle infomration about WW2., will say just a few words.

 

Lots of members of my family died during WW2, in fight, concentration camps or were killed after WW2 during Soviet Occupation.

( one of my Mom's Uncles survived 5 years in concentretion camp and lived till his 100y after that - was a hero for all of us). The same history can be shared almost by each Polish ( and many others) family.

 

Warsaw (capital and lergest city of Poland) - city where I was born and I live was destroyed in 80-90% - almost nothing left.

Yes I am also proud and thankful for the heroic fight  but not only that. Still, nowadays, sometimes when I'm walking on Warsaw's streets my hart is crying for all these people, kids and buildings....wiped off the face of the earth.

 

all the best

Asten!

 

image.jpeg.d35872858b994de0b8cc172be6841fbc.jpeg

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by AstenZoolen
  • Like 7
  • 100 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is obvious and goes without saying, we would not be here today had Hitler won. We sometimes take for granted the freedoms we have today without realizing for a minute had that D-Day invasion turned out differently. The lives that were sacrificed and lost, the families torn apart forever, countries battered and taken over, the millions of tortured and enslaved lives, all because someone believed that their race was better than others.

 

Remembrance Day - 11/11/20 

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To me it is so crazy how close we are to living in a world with no living WW2 Veterans. My grandpa was a veteran of the Pacific Theater and passed away within the last year. It was incredible to see his photography of what the Philippines looked like during the war years. I would say something like "I hope we never forget what these men & women fought for" but it's obvious that so many already have.  

 

image.thumb.png.8bcd586135d8baed374708502c02dd46.png

 

image.thumb.png.d6c8ab521e99ea21bd4e2367b9e219af.png

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, AstenZoolen said:

Hello,

 

 It is still very hard topic for me to be honest..., it's sad that most people knows just a litle infomration about WW2., will say just a few words.

 

Lots of members of my family died during WW2, in fight, concentration camps or were killed after WW2 during Soviet Occupation.

( one of my Mom's Uncles survived 5 years in concentretion camp and lived till his 100y after that - was a hero for all of us). The same history can be shared almost by each Polish ( and many others) family.

 

Warsaw (capital and lergest city of Poland) - city where I was born and I live was destroyed in 80-90% - almost nothing left.

Yes I am also proud and thankful for the heroic fight  but not only that. Still, nowadays, sometimes when I'm walking on Warsaw's streets my hart is crying for all these people, kids and buildings....wiped off the face of the earth.

 

all the best

Asten!

 

image.jpeg.d35872858b994de0b8cc172be6841fbc.jpeg

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thank you for posting this, Asten. Honestly, it wasn't until maybe 4 years ago that I learned about the devastation that the Polish people went through. Sadly, I had some ignorant views on Polish people and it wasn't until I become friends with a first generation immigrant that we shared family histories about it. Some of my family is from Ukraine and there are whole parts of the family where the villages and the people have disappeared. I cannot imagine what it would be like to walk the city streets with such a powerful history...

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, what a heart felt and amazing story. I always wondered how people felt about this topic especially the great people of Poland knowing some history of the Polish people have taken a lot of hell and it just irritated me on how some people in the world treated the Polish.    I for one thank you for telling us your story about your mothers uncle that went through hell in one those concentration camps I can't even imagine how that was for the survivors.   I have always wanted to visit all the concentration camps just for the remembrance and history places and all the horror that went on in those places SHOULD NEVER be forgotten.    Thank you Asten Zoolen for sharing your story.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, L3ftY. said:

It is obvious and goes without saying, we would not be here today had Hitler won. We sometimes take for granted the freedoms we have today without realizing for a minute had that D-Day invasion turned out differently. The lives that were sacrificed and lost, the families torn apart forever, countries battered and taken over, the millions of tortured and enslaved lives, all because someone believed that their race was better than others.

 

Remembrance Day - 11/11/20 

 

 

Very true L3fty and that is one thing that everyone should remember forever

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/6/2020 at 4:53 PM, L3ftY. said:

It is obvious and goes without saying, we would not be here today had Hitler won. We sometimes take for granted the freedoms we have today without realizing for a minute had that D-Day invasion turned out differently. The lives that were sacrificed and lost, the families torn apart forever, countries battered and taken over, the millions of tortured and enslaved lives, all because someone believed that their race was better than others.

 

Remembrance Day - 11/11/20 

 

 

This is a good post my grandad served in WW2 in the first Royal marines battalion and my dad served as a paratrooper in Ireland, Falklands, Kosovo and Iraq and I served as a royal marine for 12 years done 4 tour of Afghanistan. The stories my grandad told me  about what he saw I have the utmost respect for anyman that served in WW2 thanks for this post. 

  • Like 3
  • 100 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

During the outbreak of WW2 I had lots of family flee from Hungary and/or to fight off the invading German forces. My mothers father, who was a boy during that area had fled as well with his mother and 4 sisters. I believe they walked alot of the way to the coast of Europe to board a boat and come to Canada. My grandfathers distant Uncle and his Uncle's side of the family had made it to Toledo, Lucas County, Ohio in the early 1900's and he then joined the US Military to become a First Lieutenant in the early 40's. He died August 5th, 1944 in France at the age of 26. The list goes on, I have many distant relatives who had served in that era. I need to check with my Great Aunt, who was one of my Grandfathers older sisters who had also fled from Hungary to Canada and hopefully find some older pictures dating back to early 1900s. 

 

Although, I have pictures of my mothers father who is also a vet that I deeply cherish to this day. God rest his soul he was one of a kind and truly an amazing human being I miss him everyday.  

Spoiler

grandparobert3.png.6900454465eae85cabe32490453e6c9e.png

 

This is a picture of him and I as a young child, he was one of a kind and genuine kind soul.

Spoiler

grandarobert2.png.a91185752778e0af4eed56c553f88485.png

 

This one, I believe was taken in Hungary just before they had all fled missing some Aunt's here but you get the gist! 

Spoiler

grandparobert1.png.e269c621bad62c55c1398b98277b71c1.png

 

  • Like 4
  • 100 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, bLade. said:

During the outbreak of WW2 I had lots of family flee from Hungary and/or to fight off the invading German forces. My mothers father, who was a boy during that area had fled as well with his mother and 4 sisters. I believe they walked alot of the way to the coast of Europe to board a boat and come to Canada. My grandfathers distant Uncle and his Uncle's side of the family had made it to Toledo, Lucas County, Ohio in the early 1900's and he then joined the US Military to become a First Lieutenant in the early 40's. He died August 5th, 1944 in France at the age of 26. The list goes on, I have many distant relatives who had served in that era. I need to check with my Great Aunt, who was one of my Grandfathers older sisters who had also fled from Hungary to Canada and hopefully find some older pictures dating back to early 1900s. 

 

Although, I have pictures of my mothers father who is also a vet that I deeply cherish to this day. God rest his soul he was one of a kind and truly an amazing human being I miss him everyday.  

  Hide contents

grandparobert3.png.6900454465eae85cabe32490453e6c9e.png

 

This is a picture of him and I as a young child, he was one of a kind and genuine kind soul.

  Hide contents

grandarobert2.png.a91185752778e0af4eed56c553f88485.png

 

This one, I believe was taken in Hungary just before they had all fled missing some Aunt's here but you get the gist! 

  Hide contents

grandparobert1.png.e269c621bad62c55c1398b98277b71c1.png

 

Thank you so much for sharing this story!

 

  • Like 1
  • 100 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a touching story blade, and I thank you very much for telling us your story.  And from the bottom of my heart I thank everyone's family members that have served in the Armed Forces for everyone's Freedom from tyranny.     I for one have not served but my Grandfather served in the Navy during WW2 in the Pacific Theatre as a Turret Gunner on a ship and Salute our troops

 

  george c scott salute GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually and I can say and share some word's with you. Even i dont have to much info from WW2, I have one which I will share. If someone dont know I live on the floor's of the former Yugoslavia which was on Allies side. 

Lot of my family also died there from 43-45 when where lot of attacks on it, some of them was battle for Sutjeska, Neretva, Drvar, Sarajevo etc, etc. 

As I only know from my grandfather father and some of our family died in battle for Neretva, which is called Battle for the wounded soldiers and other people. 

I will share some quote's from Bosnian Capital news of history for that Battle.

--------------------

 collapsed bridge in the Neretva River is a symbol of Jablanica and a witness to the history of that area.

The bridge was built at the height of 42 meters and was 82 meters long. It was demolished and collapsed into the Neretva River. 

Twenty cannons, 16 tanks and trucks, and 5 tons of other materials, together with 12.000 explosive packages with 10 tons of explosive, were thrown into the canyon of the Neretva River.Battle wascalled battle for the wounded, which is also known as one of the most humane battles in the former Yugoslavia and whose military strategy has been long analysed in military academies. At the same time, it is one of the most important battles in the Second World War at the territory of the South-eastern Europe.

Battle for the wounded on the Neretva River was a battle for salvation of over 4.000 wounded men, led and won by Partisan units against the joined German, Italian, Ustasha and Chetnik forces in February and March of 1943.

The Germans wanted to destroy the central command of the Partisans, the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Yugoslavia, and the main Partisan hospital. The Axis forces gathered nine divisions – six German, three Italian, several Ustasha and Homeguard units and several Chetnik units. It is estimated that over 150.000 soldiers of the Axis forces attacked the significantly outnumbered Partisan detachments, the wounded men included.

Even though the enemy forces were superior in number, they did not succeed in their intention, given that the Partisans managed to break the encirclement and inflict heavy losses on the opponents.

Demolition of the bridge on Neretva was a sly strategy ordered by Josip Broz Tito and used by the Partisans to deceive the enemy and save their members.

The breakthrough across the Neretva is a unique event in the history of warfare, because strong encirclement was broken with internal force of the gathered army, tormented from fighting and without any help from the outside.

The original deception worked on the experienced opponent. This battle entered all military textbooks of the world thanks to the humane aspect, the perseverance, and Tito’s strategic thinking.

The bridge can now be accessed from the beautiful Jablanica park in front of the Museum of the Battle for the Wounded. Visitors can enjoy by the emerald green Neretva and, with the silence of the river. 

 

Also want to thank you for sharing this topic with us. God bless us and bring the peace and not to happen this any more. 

Peace Chuu. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Surprise 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.