Need advise I think...

*Sypher*

My pc sucks cuz it almost can't do anything which I want it too do...

What is the best way to upgrade my pc with a little amount of money?

Here is my pc information:

Operating System

MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3

CPU

Intel Celeron 346

Prescott 90nm Technology

RAM

2.0GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (6-5-5-17)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N-MX (Socket 775) 29 °C

Graphics

710S @ 1024x768

128MB GeForce 7050 / NVIDIA nForce 610i (ASUStek Computer Inc)

ForceWare version 178.13

Hard Drives

156GB Seagate ST3160812AS (SATA) 44 °C

Optical Drives

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H553A

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

Is this in an HTPC?

The CPU, for a single core is actually not a bad one. I think the biggest, cheapest thing you could upgrade is your video card. Even an Nvidia 6600GT would trump the card you are running now.

If you could find someone with a slightly lower clocked Core2Duo, I think you would be pretty happy with that as well.

Is this in an HTPC?

The CPU, for a single core is actually not a bad one. I think the biggest, cheapest thing you could upgrade is your video card. Even an Nvidia 6600GT would trump the card you are running now.

If you could find someone with a slightly lower clocked Core2Duo, I think you would be pretty happy with that as well.

It's just a normal desktop as long as I know...

But according to you, the best thing to do is to buy a better video cart?

• Administrators

Processor and vid card are your weak links do what no good said get a cheap core2duo, maybe go to a small comp store they will sometimes have some old core2duo's lying around that you can get for cheap same for vid card. Or just see if your friends might have some spare cards or cpu's.

Processor and vid card are your weak links do what no good said get a cheap core2duo, maybe go to a small comp store they will sometimes have some old core2duo's lying around that you can get for cheap same for vid card. Or just see if your friends might have some spare cards or cpu's.

Alright, thanks NoGood and Joedirt, I'll try to get some kind of new video card, I think that will be possible.

Also, can you guys give a guess of the worth of my pc?

Cuz I think the guy who sold my parents this pc has asked a way to high price...

Alright, thanks NoGood and Joedirt, I'll try to get some kind of new video card, I think that will be possible.

Also, can you guys give a guess of the worth of my pc?

Cuz I think the guy who sold my parents this pc has asked a way to high price...

I feel for you running the onboard graphics, i had the same motherboard with the onboard graphics and it was hell, My advice is to get a vid card u could get a used 4850-30 for cheap and a dual core and still get a noticeable improvement.

Agree. You can update your PC with new vid card or RAM but I think it will be the last update. Somethimes the answer to the question "what should I buy to get my PC running faster?" is: "New PC" because of hardware updates.

With beforementioned updates I think you could have better FPS in ET. But COD new version comeing out? and ofc Crysis2. So there lies the question- if you just want to have better performance right now in ET OR collect some more money and invest in good mobo&case for future games\software.

The basic source for my PC building so far- tomshardware

Since your graphics card is probably your limiting factor, you can also reduce your graphics quality down very low so your old computer will run ET faster. You may get a migraine though.

Take the code below and paste it into a text file (use Notepad), then name it "autoexec.cfg" and save it into your etmain folder.

You might want to raise r_mode until it looks ok to you. You can set r_mode down to 0, but the screen will just be a blur.

//cg_graphics

set cg_atmosphericeffects 0

set cg_wolfparticles 0

set cg_shadows 0

set cg_fastsolids 1

set cg_drawfps 1

set cg_lagometer 1

set cg_drawclock 0

set cg_drawtimer 1

set cg_drawgun 1 //many people set this to 0 to turn gun off

set cg_showblood 0

set cg_bloodtime 0

set cg_bloodflash 0

set cg_bloodDamageBlend 0

set cg_brasstime 0

set cg_marktime 0

set cg_muzzleflash 0

set cg_gibs 0

set cg_coronas 0

//r_graphics

set r_lodbias 2

set r_picmip 3

set r_mode 3 //higher is better for aim, lower for less lag

set r_subdivisions 999 //999 is fastest

set r_mapoverbrightbits 3

set r_displayrefreshrate 60

set r_intensity 1.0

set r_gamma 1.5

set r_drawsun 0

set r_fastsky 1

set r_flares 0

set r_lodCurveError 0 //0-10000, 0 is worst graphics

set r_textureMode "GL_LINEAR_MipMap_NEAREST"

set r_colorbits 16

set r_depthbits 16

set r_texturebits 16

set r_roundImagesDown 0 //default is 1

set r_dynamiclight 0 //def was 1

set r_detailtextures 0 //def was 1

Running ET is not a problem actually, my pc stays cool then, but I wanna play newer games like COD etc, and my pc can't run them.

I knew my pc sucked for gaming, so I bough Brothers in Arms 'Hells Highway' first (2008 game or so) to test if my pc could run than, but it even can't run that game, so I don't think it can run COD4 for example.

But now I now that my video cart is the limiting factor so I thing I'll first try that one.