ET on Linux problems

SunLight

• Clan Friend

Hi,

I have a couple of questions for you, please help this linux noob...

- how can I paste some text in the game console on linux? I tried everything, but I just can't do it. On windows it just worked.

- When I start the game, I set r_fullscreen 0, so I can switch when I open the console, but whenever I press enter (not alt+enter just enter) after a command, it does a vid_restart and it goes back to r_fullscreen 1. wtf?

This is very annoying, since I can't switch to another workspace anymore. Is there a way to minimize this game, without running it in a separate X server? Why doesn't it just stay in windowed mode, if I set r_fullscreen 0, this is driving me crazy!

I have also some mouse lag, but I don't know if among you there is such a q3 engine / linux guru that could help me, I tried almost everything. It happens when the game slows down in maps like oasis. It feels as if all the mouse movements are sort of 'buffered' and this buffer has a delay, really unplayable.

I tried in_dgamouse 0, 1, 2, and also in_mouse -1, but, according to et source code, that -1 is one of those bulls*** values you find on the internet, since it just checks if it is 0 or not... -.-

I thought it could be a cpu issue, so I tried to renice et process to give some cpu to other processes but nothing. I am new to linux, so I don't know if I did it properly.

As a last resort I will try to lower the usb polling rate, and maybe looking at et source code for clues. Meanwhile I hope someone could help me with the console issue.

thanks

edit:

I probably posted in the wrong section, maybe some admin ccould kindly move the thread

Edited by SunLight

I've discovered that playing ET on Linux has its own unique "features" for many players.

If Linux is making your mouse lag then that kind of totally defeats the purpose of using Linux at all really. A lot of gaming mice aren't supported by Linux drivers. Nobody wants to spend time writing free drivers for proprietary mice that maybe only a few Linux users are using. Or the mouse companies don't want to support open-source software.

Maybe try a different mouse and see if you get the same effect.

I find it difficult to find files when I use condump in Linux. Don't know why. They simply aren't created where they should be. And like you, I don't know enough about Linux (nor do I want to spend many hours studying it) to fix the problem. But Linux runs much faster than Windows, so I have learned to tolerate it.

• Clan Friend

I've discovered that playing ET on Linux has its own unique "features" for many players.

If Linux is making your mouse lag then that kind of totally defeats the purpose of using Linux at all really. A lot of gaming mice aren't supported by Linux drivers. Nobody wants to spend time writing free drivers for proprietary mice that maybe only a few Linux users are using. Or the mouse companies don't want to support open-source software.

Maybe try a different mouse and see if you get the same effect.

I find it difficult to find files when I use condump in Linux. Don't know why. They simply aren't created where they should be. And like you, I don't know enough about Linux (nor do I want to spend many hours studying it) to fix the problem. But Linux runs much faster than Windows, so I have learned to tolerate it.

It's not a mouse issue, if I open the console it is smooth even under heavy cpu load. Only the movement ingame is delayed.

Not having any drivers is not a problem for me. I have even found a small utility to change dpi for my mouse, so I don't have to do it manually (I had to change it and recompile it, because it remapped the buttons and I couldn't bind some of them ingame).

the old headaches of linux lmao . Have you try enabling your desktop switcher i use to play et and to switch to terminal with multy monitors the beryl cube would do the trick for me .

I can switch to another desktop, but only if I am not running fullscreen, the problem is that if I press enter in the game console, sometimes the game acts as if I pressed alt+enter, so it vid_restarts and I am in fullscreen. I don't know why. And still I cannot paste in the game console... does copy and paste work for you?

1) u cannot copy paste in et in linux, as far as i know, and i also tried everything so give up there.

ur mouse lag as phantasm says, ppl have own shit in linux, example in my et in linux in etpro i run a lot faster than in windows, somehow my game just goes faster and my mouse feels weird too but a good weird for me,

linux is pretty good for gaming if it works perfectly from start, if u start having problems its just a pain in the ass and probably wont find anything to fix ur probs lol

You can copy/paste into the console via the terminal.

But you have to run ET from the terminal by just typing et

Then your console runs like a mirror image in the terminal.. You can copy/paste within the terminal but it can cause problems..

Chuckun

• Clan Friend

You can copy/paste into the console via the terminal.

But you have to run ET from the terminal by just typing et

Then your console runs like a mirror image in the terminal.. You can copy/paste within the terminal but it can cause problems..

Chuckun

thank you sooo much, it only works if ttycon is set to 1, but no big deal I can do a +set ttycon 1, probably it's even the default.

But now the problem goes back to preventing et from switching to r_fullscreen 1 randomly when I use the console, otherwise I am stuck to et window -.-

unluckily alt+enter cannot be disabled...

I also noticed that on linux et can use multicore cpus with r_smp 1, that's nice... but I get

----- R_Init -----
Trying SMP acceleration...
...failed.

I have to investigate further on this one, and the mouse lag. Another funny thing is that it doesn't use the whole cpu even when I am with low fps... wtf? Gpu load less than 30%, cpu not even close to 100% in both cores, and still the game can't make more fps? That's funny... -.-

Anyway, with g5_hiddev.c after commenting out one line and recompiling it, I can set 2000 dpi at boot without remapping the buttons, so I am almost a happy man with linux, thanks again to you all, I will let you know if I manage to find out the reason of the lag, and r_smp fail.

1) u cannot copy paste in et in linux, as far as i know, and i also tried everything so give up there.

ur mouse lag as phantasm says, ppl have own shit in linux, example in my et in linux in etpro i run a lot faster than in windows, somehow my game just goes faster and my mouse feels weird too but a good weird for me,

linux is pretty good for gaming if it works perfectly from start, if u start having problems its just a pain in the ass and probably wont find anything to fix ur probs lol

Most of the hackers also use linux too =p (linux the OS of hax and almost 100% of hax creators lol)

• Clan Friend

Most of the hackers also use linux too =p (linux the OS of hax and almost 100% of hax creators lol)

so after 4 years of non haxing on xp I should start to hax now? :rolleyes:

btw I found out why that r_smp says failed... they compiled the game like that :angry: that 'failed' is hardcoded... oh well. We should wait for xreal maybe, or switch to windows 98

or maybe to an even older system

load

press play on tape

found et

run

but most of you can't remember that :geek:

• Administrators

I am not sure, but did you tried to install your GPU drivers?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/Freeze

MESA or fgflrx or whatever the UNIX default 3D graphics driver are will always give you less FPS.

• Clan Friend

I am not sure, but did you tried to install your GPU drivers?

https://wiki.ubuntu....shooting/Freeze

MESA or fgflrx or whatever the UNIX default 3D graphics driver are will always give you less FPS.

yes. I have more fps than on windows xp, the same benchmark with timedemo 1, win 78fps, linux 103.

It happens only when I have low fps, like on oasis. I have no idea, strange that if I do com_maxfps 43 it doesn't lag anymore, I guess it is because of the reduced load on the cpu.

If I manage to play in a laggy area without being fragged all the time (very hard :)) I will try /cl_showmouserate 1 to check if the message in my game console is delayed too, or not. Maybe cl_debugmove 1 could help too.