ET This fixed my network/input lag-weirdness

bubblehash

3 hours ago, -=HipKat=- said:

There's a LOT of things I wish I knew how to do with my Routers (I use 3 Linksys Tri-band Mesh Routers) as far as setting IP's, ports, etc, but as much as I can do with building and mod'g computers, I don't much at all about Networking, which is bad, since everything is so connected now

Its usually pretty simple to tell your router to always give same Local IP to a specific device.

A quick look online and linksys looks easy enough.

Log on to the router by going to the following default IP in any web browser 192.168.1.1 or type myrouter.local then hit Enter

Put in admin password when asked (should be on back/underneath of router)

Then go
Connectivity -- > Local Network -- >Router Details -- > DHCP Server --> DHCP Reservations
From the list select the device you want to reserve an IP for then click Add DHCP reservation. 

Where it says "Assign IP address" put in the IP you always want that device to have, for example 192.168.1.10 then click Save. Your device will now always be assigned that same local IP.

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP
9 minutes ago, Snuffs99 said:

Its usually pretty simple to tell your router to always give same Local IP to a specific device.

A quick look online and linksys looks easy enough.

Log on to the router by going to the following default IP in any web browser 192.168.1.1 or type myrouter.local then hit Enter

Put in admin password when asked (should be on back/underneath of router)

Then go
Connectivity -- > Local Network -- >Router Details -- > DHCP Server --> DHCP Reservations
From the list select the device you want to reserve an IP for then click Add DHCP reservation. 

Where it says "Assign IP address" put in the IP you always want that device to have, for example 192.168.1.10 then click Save. Your device will now always be assigned that same local IP.

How do you know what IP to use?

Edit! I just let it assign an IP and saved it 

Edited by -=HipKat=-
  • 100 1

6 minutes ago, -=HipKat=- said:

How do you know what IP to use?

Router default IP's are usually always 192.168.x.x 

Your device will already have an IP assigned to it by the routers DHCP and will show in its DCHP table...for instance HipKat-PC 192.168.1.2 , you can either keep it as is or you can use an IP that is not already in use within the routers set range.

In most cases routers default IP ranges will be from say 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 (192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 will be reserved for the router)...... every device added to your network be it wired or wireless will be auto assigned an IP within that range and usually in sequence by the router DHCP.

So lets say you have 3 devices and add them to your network in this order, PC, Phone, Amazon Echo....

Your PC will be given 192.168.1.2, your Phone 192.168.1.3 and your Amazon echo 192.168.1.4....

Now lets say you turn all 3 off and leave it a week to go on holiday and then reconnect when you get home but you reconnect your Phone first, Amazon Echo second and PC last....Your phone will be given the first available IP which is 192.168.1.2, the Echo will get 192.168.1.3 and your PC 192.168.1.4

The point of reserving an IP is to make sure you always know your PC/Media source always has the same IP, if your ever asked for a source IP or your PC is off for a long period of time etc you know the given IP is always the same.

Hope this makes some sense. :) 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

• Platinum VIP
1 minute ago, Snuffs99 said:

Router default IP's are usually always 192.168.x.x 

Your device will already have an IP assigned to it by the routers DHCP and will show in its DCHP table...for instance HipKat-PC 192.168.1.2 , you can either keep it as is or you can use an IP that is not already in use within the routers set range.

In most cases routers default IP ranges will be from say 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 (192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 will be reserved for the router)...... every device added to your network be it wired or wireless will be auto assigned an IP within that range and usually in sequence by the router DHCP.

So lets say you have 3 devices and add them to your network in this order, PC, Phone, Amazon Echo....

Your PC will be given 192.168.1.2, your Phone 192.168.1.3 and your Amazon echo 192.168.1.4....

Now lets say you turn all 3 off and leave it a week to go on holiday and then reconnect when you get home but you reconnect your Phone first, Amazon Echo second and PC last....Your phone will be given the first available IP which is 192.168.1.2, the Echo will get 192.168.1.3 and your PC 192.168.1.4

The point of reserving an IP is to make sure you always know your PC/Media source always has the same IP, if your ever asked for a source IP or your PC is off for a long period of time etc you know the given IP is always the same.

Hope this makes some sense. :) 

So I wonder if I should prioritiuze the numbers, like Router 2 is x.2, Router 3 is x.3, Desktop is x.4, TV is x.5, etc or just leave the defaults that were set when I created the reservations, or does that not even matter, as long as they're assigned IP's?

1 minute ago, -=HipKat=- said:

So I wonder if I should prioritiuze the numbers, like Router 2 is x.2, Router 3 is x.3, Desktop is x.4, TV is x.5, etc or just leave the defaults that were set when I created the reservations, or does that not even matter, as long as they're assigned IP's?

Haha, your over thinking it.

I only reserve my PC local IP because its like the hub of my house, everything connects to and goes through it so i know who is doing what lol. You only really need to reserve the IP of the device you want to connect to every time, so PC for instance, routers and most devices are good to be auto assigned.

• Like 2

Are you all running xfinity aka comcast?
Keep in mind that later comcast modems automatically create a hotspot for other xfinity subscribers to connect to. With more and more people connecting to the internet 24/7, this will put a burden on your equipment. Give costumer service a call and ask them to turn it off. That would explain a "noisy" network or more correctly, a network full of unknown devices. If you're not running comcast, then you've got someone using your wireless. Change your password, make sure you're using WPA2, simple as that.

If you've verified nobody else is on your network, and you're finding that Windows 10's services are slowing down your gaming, then you have a bandwidth (not speed) problem. Call your ISP and complain.

If you're on xfinity/frontier/cox/timewarner/etc and not on DSL or fiber, your speeds and bandwidth will be variable. DOCSIS aka Cable is a shared line (think party line for the internet)- there is no dedicated port for your connection. You can ask customer service to move you to a lesser congested channel though. My guess is that all channels are congested at this time.

Edited by Xernicus
+bandwidth

• Platinum VIP
6 hours ago, Xernicus said:

Keep in mind that later comcast modems automatically create a hotspot for other xfinity subscribers to connect to. With more and more people connecting to the internet 24/7, this will put a burden on your equipment. Give costumer service a call and ask them to turn it off. That would explain a "noisy" network or more correctly, a network full of unknown devices. If you're not running comcast, then you've got someone using your wireless. Change your password, make sure you're using WPA2, simple as that.

If you've verified nobody else is on your network, and you're finding that Windows 10's services are slowing down your gaming, then you have a bandwidth (not speed) problem. Call your ISP and complain.

If you're on xfinity/frontier/cox/timewarner/etc and not on DSL or fiber, your speeds and bandwidth will be variable. DOCSIS aka Cable is a shared line (think party line for the internet)- there is no dedicated port for your connection. You can ask customer service to move you to a lesser congested channel though. My guess is that all channels are congested at this time.

Not me, I have Fiber Optic with a stand alone Fiber modem and 3 Mesh Routers working together 

7 hours ago, Xernicus said:

Keep in mind that later comcast modems automatically create a hotspot for other xfinity subscribers to connect to.

I'm in the UK on BT, their modems DO auto create a BT hotspot though that any other BT customer can connect to if they are within range (called BT Wifi), BT Wifi uses roughly 10-20% of your bandwidth. That option is disabled on my line.