-50 time nudge

tipsy

That is very much expected result when you force players to change settings they are used to. Has nothing to do with them being hittable or not. They just wont hit you. The debated effect of negative cl_timenudge being a cheat is do the players get advantage seeing other player positions up to 50 ms sooner then with 0 timenudge. Generally the setting is not considered a cheat and implementing restrictions for it are left on server admins themself. (i.e. Not enforced by punkbuster or PBBans) I have read somewhere, sorry i don't remember where, that cl_timenudge up to -20 is still acceptable for it's original purpose. That is to synchronise with other players when having a bad connection. By acceptable I mean that if player really needs to use -50, maybe he should at that point consider getting better connection or moving next to the server.

Well, if they wont hit you then i am really wondering why del|Anjo is getting highest fragger with more then 80 kills on F|A Beginners with a cl_timenudge of -50 , me for my part wasnt able to hit him, and believe me that i mostly kill my target.

Well, if they wont hit you then i am really wondering why del|Anjo is getting highest fragger with more then 80 kills on F|A Beginners with a cl_timenudge of -50 , me for my part wasnt able to hit him, and believe me that i mostly kill my target.

He might be toggling timenudge or other cvars. Toggling is difficult to prevent but can be easily detected. -50 Timenudge by itself does not make you unhittable.

Since this topic is now 3 pages long I guess I have to point this out again...

http://fearless-assassins.com/topic/11232-50-time-nudge/page__view__findpost__p__121384

Yet another cl_timenudge explanation

cl_timenudge <negative value> effectively changes that behaviour by reducing the time available for interpolation.

Since the interpolation time window is 50ms (on servers that use the default 20hz), you can effectively remove it by doing cl_timenudge -50 or you can half that time by doing cl_timenudge -25.

By removing all or part of the interpolation time, you are forcing the client to show the latest position of your opponents much quicker than it would normally. That means when you shoot at them on screen you have a better chance of hitting before they've moved far enough for you to miss.

Splash Damage Forums > Editing and Modding > Editing Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory > cl_timenudge observations

In etmain, timenudge is purely client side (in the sense that the server doesn't do anything with your cl_timenudge value. Since it affects your command times, it does have some effect on information on the server.) The only reason the value is sent to the server is so the server can display it in /players.

It appears that when the pings involved are extremely low (< 10 ms) using -50 timenudge can have a small impact on how you show up on other peoples screens. This is due to another bug, but from my testing it happens rarely, even on a 100mbit LAN. The timenudger must have high FPS, high maxpackets, and a sub 10 ms ping. Even then, the resulting delta is quite small. If the timenudger is playing on the internet, this will never be factor. (note: this is due to the g_smoothsclients thing, but in practice, should be a non-issue)

Previous versions of the rules have restricted timenudge, to 0, -20 and -50 at various times. The current rules do not restrict it at all.

Note: Unlike 99% of the information floating around the net about timenudge, the above is based on actually printing out the values used by the etmain game/cgame, not hearsay, speculation, or feel. Of course it is still possible that I have missed something important.

cl_timenudge is read only on Hardcore

I must correct myself a bit. I claimed negative timenudge -50 is possible. This is incorrect. After taking a look into the ET source, I now see that the timenudge is restricted between -30 and 30. This is done with hardcoded values. This is what happens when people speak before taking the time to look into the issue :P I should have known better but I wasn't in the mood for it and I replied only what were accepted explanations before the ET source was opened.

I must correct myself a bit. I claimed negative timenudge -50 is possible. This is incorrect. After taking a look into the ET source, I now see that the timenudge is restricted between -30 and 30. This is done with hardcoded values. This is what happens when people speak before taking the time to look into the issue :P I should have known better but I wasn't in the mood for it and I replied only what were accepted explanations before the ET source was opened.

What?

You'll have to demonstrate what you are talking about. Show us the code.

} else {
	// cl_timeNudge is a user adjustable cvar that allows more
	// or less latency to be added in the interest of better
	// smoothness or better responsiveness.
	int tn;

tn = cl_timeNudge->integer;
	if ( tn < -30 ) {
		tn = -30;
	} else if ( tn > 30 ) {
		tn = 30;
	}

cl.serverTime = cls.realtime + cl.serverTimeDelta - tn;

// guarantee that time will never flow backwards, even if
	// serverTimeDelta made an adjustment or cl_timeNudge was changed
	if ( cl.serverTime < cl.oldServerTime ) {
		cl.serverTime = cl.oldServerTime;
	}
	cl.oldServerTime = cl.serverTime;

// note if we are almost past the latest frame (without timeNudge),
	// so we will try and adjust back a bit when the next snapshot arrives
	if ( cls.realtime + cl.serverTimeDelta >= cl.snap.serverTime - 5 ) {
		cl.extrapolatedSnapshot = qtrue;
	}
}

There it is unedited as requested. The comments are original. I'm not going to comment or explain the code. This is the only place I found where the value was used from the cvar. Dammit. This is what you get when you open your mouth in good will to correct misunderstandings :P

There it is unedited as requested. The comments are original. I'm not going to comment or explain the code. This is the only place I found where the value was used from the cvar. Dammit. This is what you get when you open your mouth in good will to correct misunderstandings :P

Don't feel bad about it. I had no idea it was restricted by the source code either. I doubt anyone else did. Dare probably knew but didn't want to tell the rest of us.

Interesting.

So, there's not much point to us having it limited to -50 if it defaults to -30 anyway. May as well not have any limit at all really. Lol it would be funny watching all the xploiters setting their timenudge to -200, and it really is only -30.

I play with -25 time nudge on servers and some times people on pub servers complain that I cant be hit. But no one on jaymod complained that i am hard ti hit on -25 nudge.

And others stated , I also found that its hard to hit others with -25 nudge.

And with -50 nudge it when even worse.