lOST lEVELS

TRU BLOOD

I noticed under the new download of ET. that there is no longer a profile folder for in game name change. So because the folder for name/profile is no longer in the etmain file, is there a way to add a file so a script can be used like the older version?

Edited by TRU BLOOD

• Leader

That whole folder might be added when you first run ET and are asked for a name, etc.  ET would create a default etconfig.cfg in that folder, etc.

49 minutes ago, RedBaird said:

That whole folder might be added when you first run ET and are asked for a name, etc.  ET would create a default etconfig.cfg in that folder, etc.

Im a Windows 7 guys. This 10 version sux to me. In 7, I can change my name in the folder and even add another folder with different colors. Windows 10, doesent allow this, so it seems. Wasnt sure if et had a newer version but it seems to be windows 10. When I change the name in the folder, it does not like the change or an edit. Pain in the azz. I'll figure it out over some time. And then I need my levels set for Recruiting and Beginner 1 and Jay-2 set. I keep getting kicked with =F|A= on. Admins dont have the command to set when I try to connect. Thanks for your input Red. :) 

1320408383_ETPIX.thumb.jpg.2c47dd7e20574a8643f5fe04b106a83f.jpg Well W-10 strikes again. When I log in HardCore this is what I get. No changes have been made since I was reset, other then setting Administrator rights on short cut. Any ideas...

• Leader

Is that "can't use \" blocking your ET-playing?

You could open your etconfig.cfg and search for any "\"s in it.  

I can experiment with mine to find when such an error occurs...brb.

I tried 

seta ` "toggleconsole/" and

seta ` "/toggleconsole" and ET just 'repaired' the value by removing the "/" each from the etconfig.cfg each time.

I tried 

seta \  "say \ is okay"

and ET removed that line from the etconfig.cfg file.

I tried it in binds with "say" and it worked okay and the \s were not removed by ET

"say ^3Server is \^1FULL ^2and it will ^1DROP ^7AFKs, ^1NOT ^2put them to spec!" was allowed and not modified.

I suggest making a copy of your etmain\profile\name\etconfig.cfg and searching it for any \s.  Do the same for your Silent/// file AND any autoexec.cfg files that you might have.

That "\" is very suggestive of a Windows\style\directory address.  It is very rare for NTFS to mess up these days, but maybe another file got appended to your etconfig.cfg, or something.  Some cvar might have an directory/address in it for some reason... :?: 

I DID find something.  Looking in my etconsole.log file, I searched for your "initc"

and found

No HUD specified, default HUD loaded
CL_InitCGame:  3.15 seconds
Com_TouchMemory: 0 msec
execing profiles/ProfileName/etconfig.cfg
server forcing cvar r_drawfoliage to 0
server forcing cvar cg_bloodFlash to 0
server forcing cvar r_wolffog to 0
server forcing cvar r_zfar to 0
server forcing cvar cl_wwwdownload to 1
server forcing cvar cl_allowdownload to 1
server forcing cvar cg_damagekick to 1
server forcing cvar r_softwareGL to 0
server forcing cvar pmove_fixed to 0
server forcing cvar snaps to 20

Your error statement is right where my ' exec etconfig.cfg ' appears,  which may mean that your path has \s instead of /s in it.  Check for that.  I will change my file and double-check it...

Ahhh, I cannot find where that "path to etconfig" can be set.  

Edited by RedBaird
could not replicate the error

• Leader

I would not blame windows 10.  

I did look at the source code and found a common string-parser-function that checks for " \ ", " ; and " // " in the strings fed to it, and returns that same error-statement, with the proper character added at the end.     

I did not find where the etconsole.log is first created... :(  

Edited by RedBaird
fixed: changed / to \ (confused TruBl@@D to no end)
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, RedBaird said:

I would not blame windows 10.  

I did look at the source code and found a common string-parser-function that checks for " \ ", " ; and " // " in the strings fed to it, and returns that same error-statement, with the proper character added at the end.     

I did not find where the etconsole.log is first created... :(  

Ok, Fixed but no sound in game :( But I removed Silent and silent config (Deleted) and regenerated by connecting. All well but no sound. In game sound is on but nothing from game. My system sound is working. Owell!

• Leader
6 hours ago, TRU BLOOD said:

removed Silent and silent config (Deleted) and regenerated by connecting.

Did you save your silent.dat file and put it back onto the new Silent folder?  If not, you may have a new S:ET.

I prefer to find the source of the problems, rather than just "fixing" it the quick way.  :D 

How is your Silent-menu sound-volume?  It should be in the middle as a default, I think...???

[hr[

++ I searched this forum for "no sound" and found some of my old advice in a prior topic, which may or may not help with your problem. 

You could try /snd_restart and check the volume settings in the ET menu.

Here is the search-link for "no sound" in this Forum https://fearless-assassins.com/search/?&q="no sound"&type=forums_topic&page=1&nodes=11&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

The FA-List of ET Cvars

has various sound-related cvars, including

snd_reload ETMain Client Reloads all sound files?
snd_restart ETMain Client Restarts sound engine

along with  ( I do hope that you do not have "s_mute 1" for some reason! :D  

s_bits ETMain Client  
s_currentMusic ETMain Client Lists current/most recent music sound file name & location
s_debugMusic ETMain Client  
s_defaultsound ETMain Client  
s_doppler ETMain Client Toggle doppler effect
s_info ETMain Client Lists info of sound system in console
s_initsound ETMain Client  
s_khz ETMain Client Sets frequency of the music, very high quality = 44 [1.03], high = 22 while low = 11
s_list ETMain Client Lists all sound file names and locations in console
s_mixahead ETMain Client For mixing audio?
s_mixPreStep ETMain Client  
s_musicvolume ETMain Client Sets volume of the music, multiplier value (0.0 to 1.0)
s_mute ETMain Client Toggle muting, 1 disables all sounds, 0 plays them as normal
s_nocompressed ETMain Client Dont play any compressed music files?
s_numchannels ETMain Client  
s_separation ETMain Client Stereo seperation?
s_show ETMain Client Lists in console every sound when it is played [C]
s_stop ETMain Client Stops playing any sounds currently playing
s_testsound ETMain Client  
s_volume ETMain Client Sets volume of the game sounds, multiplier value (0.0 to 1.0)
s_wavonly ETMain Client Toggles playing only .wav files?

Here are all of the "s_" cvars in my ET, produced by opening the console, typing "/s_ and pressing TAB.  I then condumped them into a file.

]\s_
  s_stop
  s_info
  s_list
  s_initsound = 1
  s_nocompressed = 0
  s_testsound = 0
  s_show = 0
  s_debugMusic = 0
  s_currentMusic = sound/music/menu_server.wav
  s_mute = 0
  s_channels = 2
  s_bits = 16
  s_wavonly = 0
  s_defaultsound = 0
  s_mixPreStep = 0.05
  s_mixahead = 0.2
  s_khz = 22
  s_doppler = 1
  s_separation = 0.5
  s_musicvolume = 0.041667

A couple of those look like trouble, such as the initsound the mute especially.

There might be a problem with ET 'connecting' to your sound system, via drivers or hardware.

Do you not get sound from both speakers and headphones?

Edited by RedBaird
more blah blah blah :zzz:

Quote "You could try /snd_restart and check the volume settings in the ET menu."        

OK, I used /snd_restart. It worked. However, when I leave the game and come back, No sound until I do it again... 

Also on Recruiting server, it keeps asking me to create a name. Not saving the files.

Edited by RedBaird
fixed quote problem in a weird-ass way

Well New reinstall. Figured out my issues. W-7 install vs. W-10 install. Some corrupt files and not a full uninstall was found. New GUIDs have been submitted and only need a level reset. Thanks agains to all F|A involved and help from members. 

• Thanks 1

All servers work great, But Silent. The issues is that I use \exec Tru.cfg  to change my name in the game. LOL I guess Silent does not like \  So it must be in my Cache file for silent and wont allow me in because of the \. I guess my question would be, if I cleared the cache in the Silent folder would that work? Because it still sees my \ (back slash) as an issue. And so how would you do a name change is \exec tru.cfg does not work in the console?