Open source cms

rambozo37

• Leader

Hi,

I am looking for suggestions for good open source cms. Lately I am bored and try stuff just for the fun of it. 

So far I tried:

- Wordpress (don't like it)

- PHPbb (nice but just a forum)

- Mybb (its okay but again just a forum)

- Nuke evolution xtreme (so far its the one I liked the most but its old  2016 and last version is buggy, hours of bugs and bad coding to fix. Most themes are not compatible with last version so again hours to spend)

- PHPfusion (its nice but themes are buggy and don't like the general layout)

- PHPnuke (I like it also but old 2014)

- Nucleus (meh...)

So I wonder if you guys would have any suggestion. I am looking for something that would have somewhat the same features as PHPnuke/evo xtreme

Hi Rambozo37 !

The choice of your CMS depends (and only depends) of your own project!

So is it a simple website (like a visit card?), or is it a strong elaborated website, or is it a business website (E-commerce)?

You will find for every project the CMS adapted to your own situation.

Howerever, WordPress is quiet powerfull, and adapted for beginners for all kind of project.

Tell me more about it.

:)

Regards,

Edited by GHARIB

• Leader

I don't have a specific project. I am just trying stuff for the fun of it. Maybe will come handy one day but for now its just the fun of trying and learning more. I used to build websites for people (mostly gaming) and had fun doing it. Now its just trying new stuff. Actually I would like to try more recent cms

Also I am ready to try anything challenging

Edited by rambozo37

• Administrators

Forgot to mention our first site was build on joomla. I dislike update system in joomla.. It has changed recently for better. drupal is more popular... have used both opencart and magento.. opencart for small selling stuff and magento for much higher count products. 

• Thanks 1

• Leader

Thx for info :)

I just downloaded drupal. I'll try that first. I will try joomla after and I guess I should give wordpress another shot since last time was like 5yrs ago.

I am also building a page using xhtml because its been years I didn't code stuff. Kinda doing a refresh to myself lol!

• 100 1

• Leader

Was curious about joomla and what the FA site looked like. What is the forum powered by? looks a bit the same as today but older version...?

2011FA.thumb.jpg.076ea8ff5dc89f0052ce04474e8b71cc.jpg

2011FA2.thumb.jpg.f66fff15feb459c310a26a3e98225c91.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

It always depends on the project, You may want to look into flat file CMSes, just out of curiosity. I did use Grav CMS and Pico. Cool to know there's something like that - without any need for a database and with proper configuration, lightning fast. Of course, those are backends for pages more static, not really crowded community boards. If I had to do some forums for fun - I'd use PunBB, because it's quite simple and allows a lot of custom coding. If you seek something with higher standrad - I would only go for Wordpress with bbPress.

For today, the rather simple CMS market is covered by what @daredevil has listed above. I've had a lot of battles with WordPress speed and performance optimisation, and that indeed makes an user hate it, but after doing several commercial projects you'll geththere, having a fast and gorgeous site.

Also, as far as coding is concerned, look into Grid, Flexbox. Kinda new is the world of CSS. Check it out, it really is a serious introduction to styling. Folks at CSS-Tricks prepared a gorgeous coverage for Grid some time ago, you may look through.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my top 3.

Best free 2020 e-sport clanbase cms for mobile/desktop

Contentify.com

demo: http://94.177.246.237

Installing is harder cuz its not just uploading on a shared host.

Best free 2019 e-sport clanbase cms for mobile/desktop

webspell-rm.de

demo: http://demo.webspell-rm.de

mobile is still a bit bugged imo, but easy to install on a shared host.

Best free 2020 e-sport clanbase cms for mobile/desktop

ilch.de

demo: http://demo.ilch.de

mobile is still a bit bugged imo, but easy to install on a shared host.

Edited by aMf
  • 100 1