FPS lower on modern PCs

cookiem0nster
Go to solution Solved by Arkinder,

Heyo

I've been playing a little more recently, it's always bugged me that modern PCs cant have stable frame rates.

I've already done r_primitives 2. I saw that my graphics card was running low clock speed, so I forced it to 100% and that maybe helped some but I still can't keep 125 FPS?!

I saw this thread here: https://community.amd.com/thread/198897 , haven't tried the OpenGL stuff. I have another pc with NVIDIA graphics that I'll test ET with but us AMD graphics folk shouldn't be left in the dust...

Any other thoughts?

8 minutes ago, cookiem0nster said:

Heyo

I've been playing a little more recently, it's always bugged me that modern PCs cant have stable frame rates.

I've already done r_primitives 2. I saw that my graphics card was running low clock speed, so I forced it to 100% and that maybe helped some but I still can't keep 125 FPS?!

I saw this thread here: https://community.amd.com/thread/198897 , haven't tried the OpenGL stuff. I have another pc with NVIDIA graphics that I'll test ET with but us AMD graphics folk shouldn't be left in the dust...

Any other thoughts?

Make sure you have the game folder under the default name for example my : "C:\Games\ET1\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory" The new nvidia drivers dont seem to recognize my game if i change the folder name.

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

39 minutes ago, Arkinder said:

Hi cookiem0nster,

You're welcome to try some of the suggestions here.

Regards,

Arkinder

Already tried all that, except adding ET to the newer AMD CCC - just tried that, no luck. Thanks anyways

36 minutes ago, TulsaGeoff said:

Make sure you have the game folder under the default name for example my : "C:\Games\ET1\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory" The new nvidia drivers dont seem to recognize my game if i change the folder name.

I'll give it a shot on the nvidia pc, do you get stable FPS?

• Leader
1 hour ago, Arkinder said:

You're welcome to try some of the suggestions here.

Arkinder

I just replied to another poster with Nvidia whose ET quits with an error statement.  His machine is older than yours, I think, and I wonder if yours is so much more capable that it can compensate for the problem that he is having.

from Arkinder's post:

Frame Rate Control:

Wait for Vertical Refresh: Always off

I will trying turning mine on and see what happens.  :D

Hi cookiem0nster,

It's because of a new version of OpenGL being used. There is a way around this here. However, you aren't necessarily going to get more FPS consistently because of an older version of OpenGL. With the newer version switching to a different rendering method with /r_primitives 2 helps to alleviate the problem for many AMD users.

Something to keep in mind for Nvidia cards. When upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 the newer drivers can still cause issues. I have heard of some players saying that /r_primitives 2 works for them even with an Nvidia card. The difference being that the game becomes less playable during frag fights or when a lot of grenades or players are around. Whereas AMD is unplayable without the different rendering method. To fix this, I reverted to a beta driver from 2015 as it was the oldest available driver for Windows 10.

Regards,

Arkinder

Edited by Arkinder
  • Thanks 1

• Solution
4 minutes ago, RedBaird said:

I just replied to another poster with Nvidia whose ET quits with an error statement.  His machine is older than yours, I think, and I wonder if yours is so much more capable that it can compensate for the problem that he is having.

from Arkinder's post:

I will trying turning mine on and see what happens.  :D

Hey RedBaird,

In the thread that you're referring to I think the problem was with a corrupted PK3 (if it's not he might be in trouble...). So the suggestion you provided should fix the issue.

As for the for the AMD CCC setting. Vertical Sync is meant to help provide an aesthetic experience. When matching the monitor refresh rate you're able to remove things like screen tearing and there aren't overlapping frames at the cost of a delay. In fast paced games it usually causes more problems than it helps. Of course, you won't find the game to be unplayable because of it. I suggest trying to limit the FPS in game as closely to your monitor refresh rate as possible.

seta r_displayRefresh "60"
seta com_maxFPS "62"
seta cl_maxpackets "62"
seta cl_packetdup "1"

or

seta r_displayRefresh "120"
seta com_maxFPS "125"
seta cl_maxpackets "100" (or "62" ^_~)
seta cl_packetdup "1"
// don't forget to set your mouse polling rate to 125hz.

This way you either have 2 or 5 overlapping/merged frames without waiting to draw the frame. I hope you're joking of course! 😅😂

Regards,

Arkinder

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cookiem0nster said:

Heyo

Any other thoughts?

Naw! bruv try be like us peasants that cant afford a max machine like ya self bruv dont be going all super rich an nat cum play wiv the real boys on jay1!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...