pc issue

captnconcrete

6 minutes ago, captnconcrete said:

it isms-7388  1.0 yes ..

ok this am i loaded age of empires 3 war chiefs my temps went holy cow high. 

gpu was at 81c and climbing and cpu was at 71c. not good.

normally its  53c gpu and 39c cpu. so i shut her down took out gpu..  took off cover it was dirty big time.. so i swaped in a tiny little 8400gs for now..  im thinking i dont like this card it doesnt like fire in et. an has no  power plug on it..yukky.

booted first time i turned on.. but my other case fans still do the wonky.an cpu.

so i turn on with this little tiny gpu and bam  pc start dl alkinds a shit and i cant stop it.lol 

Thanks for letting me know, that's super helpful. The revisions 1.0 and 2.0 have big differences- both on BIOS and VRMs.
Gonna be busy this morning, but I'll have some stuff to try later this afternoon that might help with the fans.

Hmm... well the max power consumption of the 8400gs is 26 watts, compared to 216 watts (I believe) of the 8800 gts. So the fact that it cold boots with the 8400 points to power delivery. But let's see if it continues to boot fine from a cold start with that smaller card.
If it does, then you found the issue with the no post.

i  got some new driver wtf..

i was runnig 285. something with 8800 now its 340. something.

my gpu temps now 32C cpu is 27c at boot up. in my xpercision fan  the 8800 didnt post  mv  this 8400 does.

but in et two things i notice right away.. better color quality.. looks cleaner.  but with exact same cfg ..  its darker in game  and when some one pops off a flamer it dips to 30s fps.. other wise holds a hard 166 most time.lol but this on jay2 where there isnt 50 people.

25 minutes ago, captnconcrete said:

i  got some new driver wtf..

i was runnig 285. something with 8800 now its 340. something.

my gpu temps now 32C cpu is 27c at boot up. in my xpercision fan  the 8800 didnt post  mv  this 8400 does.

but in et two things i notice right away.. better color quality.. looks cleaner.  but with exact same cfg ..  its darker in game  and when some one pops off a flamer it dips to 30s fps.. other wise holds a hard 166 most time.lol but this on jay2 where there isnt 50 people.

I think the r_primitives to 0 or another number should fix that. It was an issue on certain cards. My gtx 970 did that. 30fps on a 970 playing a 16 year old game 😂

its 2 in my cfg. always switch too 2 im a nvidia nut i hate ati cards. ill mess around with it c whats up tho thanks ...

Edited by captnconcrete

On 3/4/2019 at 2:50 PM, captnconcrete said:

its 2 in my cfg. always switch too 2 im a nvidia nut i hate ati cards. ill mess around with it c whats up tho thanks ...

so i changed my /r_primitives to 0 and my fps doesnt dip near as much thank u .. now if i could figure out why its blurry  view at far distance i cant see anything far away. i have my driver settings same as i did with 8800gts.. seems to  be blurry left to right  too .also damage kick feels diff.

8800 XX also has support for 342.xx driver. It's just that you hadn't checked for updates :P
And TBH there's no need to update drivers on every revision. If you find something stable that works well with all of your games and software, leave it as-is.

Sorry for the delay, been busy this weekend.
If your PC has been powering on fine, and it can be considered "stable" now with this 8400, let's try re-flashing and updating the BIOS. There's some microcode updates that improve memory compatibility and adjust which power rails are active in various C-states.
Assuming you don't have a floppy drive in that machine, I can make a custom ISO for you after some sleep (better to be safe than sorry xD)- Then you can put it on a USB drive or burn it to a CD.

I still want you to replace that PSU. I'd say that 12v rail is about done for. Bad PSUs can kill just about anything in your system, and 12v is your CPU, GPU, Fans- and most importantly- your HDD.

Could you give a screenshot of the blurriness at far distance? Seems like AA or Negative LOD Bias setting in NV CP.

• Like 1

no floppy ..

i just went in my program settings of nvidia card .. was all jarbled up ..hope it fixes the blurry crap.

one weird thing i encountered .. is if i set my res too 1920 x 1080 it opengl crashes..this is native for my card.. so i dont get why anything above 1440 x900 gives this error. and changing r_mode doesnt help. 

im kinda scared to flash this thing remember ..   ive read it can fry my system..alot people have trouble after they flash .

nvidia et  settings.

anti-lasing fxaa  off

antilasing gamma correction  on

antilasing mod use global settings

antilasing transparency  off

CUDA gpus use global setting   all

maximum pre render frames use globalsettings

single display mode.<-----------

power management  . max performance<------------

shader cache on

texture filtering anisotropic sample option  off

negative lod bias  clamp<-------------

trilinear optimization on

threaded optimization off

triple buffer off

vertical sync off

ones with arrows had to be changed.

2 hours ago, captnconcrete said:

no floppy ..

i just went in my program settings of nvidia card .. was all jarbled up ..hope it fixes the blurry crap.

one weird thing i encountered .. is if i set my res too 1920 x 1080 it opengl crashes..this is native for my card.. so i dont get why anything above 1440 x900 gives this error. and changing r_mode doesnt help. 

im kinda scared to flash this thing remember ..   ive read it can fry my system..alot people have trouble after they flash .

nvidia et  settings.

anti-lasing fxaa  off

antilasing gamma correction  on

antilasing mod use global settings

antilasing transparency  off

CUDA gpus use global setting   all

maximum pre render frames use globalsettings

single display mode.<-----------

power management  . max performance<------------

shader cache on

texture filtering anisotropic sample option  off

negative lod bias  clamp<-------------

trilinear optimization on

threaded optimization off

triple buffer off

vertical sync off

ones with arrows had to be changed.

What if you turn off trilinear optimization and see if you can change your resolution without crashing? Also it's funny I used to have an 8800 gts. We must have built the computers at the same time. 

• Like 1

i did this and it works but i think i kept typin1980 instead of 1920lol  big time loss of fps at this res.. now green smoke and flamer lag me and my fps goes down to 50 and 40s.. 

the blurry is way better tho i can see..i quit my job in jan so my funs are depleting rapidly now.. ill have to wait to get psu  and used card some where.. this ones a joke. i had a 7800gtzx a 9800gt and a 8800gts card in his thing.. these cards woop this 8400gs big time.

Edited by captnconcrete

21 minutes ago, captnconcrete said:

i did this and it works but i think i kept typin1980 instead of 1920lol  big time loss of fps at this res.. now green smoke and flamer lag me and my fps goes down to 50 and 40s.. 

the blurry is way better tho i can see..i quit my job in jan so my funs are depleting rapidly now.. ill have to wait to get psu  and used card some where.. this ones a joke. i had a 7800gtzx a 9800gt and a 8800gts card in his thing.. these cards woop this 8400gs big time.

It's probably too much at 1080p for that card lol. 

2 hours ago, PXRockET said:

movies and video work much better with this card than the 8800 .. weird i think this cards for videos and stuff not for gaming.i only bought it as a back up back when my 9800 died.. that card rocked in et.. best one ever. but the fan they put on em is bad dies after few yrs. i got the 7800gtx from tmac.. 

as im not a fan of on board video gpus cuz they suck...  when i built pc i went with mobo with no onboard video..

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 10:38 AM, captnconcrete said:

movies and video work much better with this card than the 8800 .. weird i think this cards for videos and stuff not for gaming.i only bought it as a back up back when my 9800 died.. that card rocked in et.. best one ever. but the fan they put on em is bad dies after few yrs. i got the 7800gtx from tmac.. 

as im not a fan of on board video gpus cuz they suck...  when i built pc i went with mobo with no onboard video..

8400 and 8800 series are the same architecture aka "Tesla". If anything, the 8800 is superior in all ways. What you're seeing is most likely due to driver updates- or your old card had some form of degradation going on. You're not wrong though- the 8400 isn't a "gaming" card. It was released shortly after Windows Vista and was basically an entry-level option for running Aero (the glass effects in Vista/7), watching 720p HD video- which was just entering mainstream, quick web-browsing, and lightweight gaming- which could include ET.

Historically, onboard graphics used to suck- but they're catching up to $100-$150 GPU's pretty quick. AMD's Ryzen APUs and Intel's new CPUs with AMD Vega are the perfect example of this. that said, there's two types of "onboard" graphics. 1) on the CPU 2) on the mobo
The first is higher performance, the second is lower performance- but good as a backup option- especially if a PCI slot craps out. That said, I run the same config- no onboard.

On 3/11/2019 at 7:39 AM, RockET said:

Absolutely. I'd recommend 900p- 1600x900 for the 8400 while running any game. You'll get higher definition textures than 720p- while having a more comfortable gaming experience on a 1080p monitor.

Here I thought I was finally getting some free time, but been busy with craptastic audits galore this month due to some unforeseen circumstances- but I'll PM you with the ISO to update your BIOS within the next day.

Edited by Xernicus
Forgot it was already "tomorrow" :P
  • Like 1