Any strategies?

Crasher

I have a bad back and I can't afford a new mattress so I have a real old spring one, I toss and turn a lot and I don't want to slowly get insomnia so is there any way to make it better?

I had a similar problem once.

One possible short term solution is some painkiller (paracetamol, etc) before bedtime as well as use support such as a pillow in the small of your back, assuming thats the rough area where the pain is. But a realistic solution would be to see your doctor and find out whether this is a muscle problem and get some proper treatment.

A pillow placed between your mattress and boxspring can also help support the sagging springs.

I'd combine that with a mattress topper, which you can get memory foam ones for like $30-$70 depending on the size bed, and the thickness of the padding.

I agree that a mattress topper would be your cheapest quick fix. However I have a broken back and have one of the best mattresses there is and it does not help much for the pain. Now what my pain level would be with out it. Well I do not want to know.

sleep on the floor and pad it with 2 sleeping bags. my dad has a similar problem and sleeping on the floor really helps with his back.

+1 i dont own sleeping bags tho, i just use regular sheets/comforters....or just the carpet. i like sleepin on the floor, i get a real good deep sleep. but if i sleep without a pillow then my face hurts from imprinting on the carpet :/

EDIT: or you could stop wrestling ;)

• 2 weeks later...

You can go to a Bed Bath and beyond and get a mattress pad for under 100 dollars that should fix your issue. You really should think about getting a loan from a family member or something if you are really getting back trouble, mattresses last a long time, you spend a third of your life on one, the least you can do is be comfortable.

I have two bulging disks as a result of an accident on a movie set. I went to physio for about a month and a half, and after that I found that there are a few things that help, not all of which pertain directly to your bed. But let's deal with that topic first:

The matress topper works quite well. We found one on sale at Walmart some time ago. It does make you feel a little hot in the summers though.

Placing a sheet of plywood between your matress and box spring can help a little as well. If your matress is drooping because of a faulty box spring, it'll cause you all kinds of pain, even if you didn't have a messed up back.

Onto the other, non-bed related stuff:

there are certain back-related excersises that you may want to do (most are simple stretches) that help strengthen your core muscles. This was part of what I learned from physio, and it actually helps. A lot, in my case. When I get lazy and fail to do them for a few days, my back pain comes back. When I do them, I think about 80% of it goes away. So you need to be consistant.

I also use Aleve (they sell cheaper Naproxen generically... as long as the dosage is the same, it'll work fine). this is an over-the-counter medicine, which acts as both a pain reliever and an anti-inflammatory. You'll need to take it with at least one full glass of water, but preferably with food. If you do take it with water, I'd suggest taking a Tums or some other antacid with it. It can cause a burning sensation in your stomach if you don't. I personally like Aleve because it doesn't make you feel dopey and it does a good job of easing the pain.

Hope this helped some.

Take care.

~Brad