Is this a good desktop rig for Fortnite and other PC gaming?

Fresh

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1338643-REG/cyberpowerpc_gma420_gamer_master_ryzen_5.html

Looking to spend around $1K.  I don't want to build it myself.

This vendor B&H has pretty good deals and the CyberPowerPC seems to be their gaming brand but is probably just some dude building gaming PCs for them.

Should I get liquid cooled?

Thanks guys!

Liquid cooling is a waste of money for that chip and card unless you're planning on doing serious overclocking or you hate the noise of fans (of course watercooling isn't silent itself, there's 1 or 2 fans + the noise of the pump...)

CyberPower isn't a house brand of B&H afaik, they sell PCs on multiple different sites. B&H is quite a good, reputable site however. I've had nothing but good experiences with them for camera gear.

That particular rig would handle anything you threw at it for gaming. You wouldn't get 60fps at 4K, but it would handle 1440p or below just fine.

Edited by Xernicus
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Xernicus said:

Liquid cooling is a waste of money for that chip and card unless you're planning on doing serious overclocking or you hate the noise of fans (of course watercooling isn't silent itself, there's 1 or 2 fans + the noise of the pump...)

CyberPower isn't a house brand of B&H afaik, they sell PCs on multiple different sites. B&H is quite a good, reputable site however. I've had nothing but good experiences with them for camera gear.

That particular rig would handle anything you threw at it for gaming. You wouldn't get 60fps at 4K, but it would handle 1440p or below just fine.

The worst part is a lot of AIO's perform on par with Noctua or Cryorig air coolers and have triple the noise with double the cost. Also the wraith cooler that comes with most ryzen cpus is pretty darn amazing on its own.

Should I get liquid cooled?

No. Save your money. Spend it on a nice keyboard and mouse to go with it :D. Those generic gaming keyboard/mouse combos are pretty terrible quality. The keyboard is the worst of the worst. My buddy has the MSI branded variant and there actually is a physical delay to the keystroke).

I think Amazon has a special where you can get a G.Skill Ripjaws Mechanical Keyboard with Cherry MX Speed Silver switches for $69.99

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thanks for the replies guys!

It seems the rigs with Intel chips are liquid cooled but the AMD ones are not.

Would the rig I posted be very loud with the fans they supply?  I am pretty sensitive to noise.  If liquid cooled is quieter I would consider paying for that.

On 5/12/2018 at 12:00 AM, Fresh said:

Would the rig I posted be very loud with the fans they supply?  I am pretty sensitive to noise.  If liquid cooled is quieter I would consider paying for that.

As far as I'd know, they be relatively silent. of course that depends on what vendor CyberBuilder uses for fans, and who the board partner/vendor is for the graphics card (Gigabyte/Sapphire/PowerColor/etc) The Ryzen platform sips power and runs extremely cool and quiet compared to the old FX (Bulldozer/Piledriver/Vishera) platform. Off the top of my head, that's a 95 watt chip I believe, so even the worst cooler would run pretty quietly on that chip. And the stock cooler itself, which is quite decent (if they don't upgrade it) runs relatively silently.

I couldn't tell you for sure, but I'd guess that the Intel chips are being watercooled because Intel cheaped out and stopped soldering the IHS to the die, and is using third rate thermal interface material instead. This leads to the CPU hitting the Thermal Junction max temp (100 C / 212 F) when under full load. The only true solution to this issue is to "de-lid" the CPU and replace the TIM. This of course, voids the warranty... so custom PC builders are turning to watercooling instead. This was headlined in several tech news headlines not too long ago, and people are still raging about it.

Edited by Xernicus
Added bit about gfx card vendor
  • Like 2

• Platinum VIP
On 5/12/2018 at 2:00 AM, Fresh said:

My Intel is not liquid cooled and it's pretty quiet, even with 9 240mm fans

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Guys thanks for the feedback.  I am about to pull the trigger on a new PC because I am tired of getting pawned on my 10 year old toaster.

Do AMD CPUs play better with AMD G cards or it is it fine to use a Nividia g card with an AMD chip?

How does this one compare to the one in the OP?  Is the Intel chip as good as AMD?  What about the Nividia G card?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BDTTQ1M/

Here is another AMD one by Dell:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076DL7DLX/

And a similar one by HP:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071KX171L/

Basically I am looking to spend $1K to $1.5K on an Amazon Prime product.    I want to use it as my every day PC for work and for it to be good enough to play pretty much any game at high settings.  I would like it to be future proof for a number of years.

If you have any specific recommendations from Amazon I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

The benefits of an AMD card really shine if you were going with an APU- using a AMD graphics card can allow you to tie the graphics portion of the APU and the GPU together using Crossfire.
That doesn't apply in this case, so there's no downsides to using an nVidia card on an AMD machine.

Those machines are a little mismatched in terms of generations... but an 8700k would perform slightly better than a Ryzen 5 (2600 series). The Ryzen 5 2600 outperforms the 1st generation Ryzen 7 1700 for single threaded workloads and gaming. Graphics wise, the 1070 is the better choice.

Some of the benefits you'd get with a Ryzen machine:
-CPU Upgrades. Next year when the 7nm Ryzen 2 (3000 series) comes out, you could just pop the new CPU in. Intel changes their chipset support nearly every year (anyone remember Kaby Lake that lasted all of 6 months?)
-More PCI lanes. If you're wanting to expand your system in the future with an M.2 SSD, or maybe your workload requires a RAID, soundcard, or SLI/Crossfire setup, more lanes means less bottlenecks- which translates to smoother performance. The normal user shouldn't need to pay too much attention to PCI lanes though.
(The above don't matter as much if you're just wanting to use the machine as-is)

Some of the benefits you'd get with an Intel machine:

-Better game optimization. Developers pretty much abandoned AMD from 2012 through 2016, and it shows. The gears are back in motion, but any game will probably have slightly higher framerates on an Intel chip than a Ryzen. That may change in the future, but something to think of.
-Faster overclocking. The clock speeds of the 8700k can be boosted a whopping 25% with a good cooler.  (though this reminds me a bit of the FX series aka Bulldozer)

Summary: All of the chips are solid, and will probably last you for several years. For single threaded workloads and/or pure gaming, I'd favor to Intel. For multi-threaded workloads and streaming, I'd favor AMD.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Xernicus said:

The benefits of an AMD card really shine if you were going with an APU- using a AMD graphics card can allow you to tie the graphics portion of the APU and the GPU together using Crossfire.
That doesn't apply in this case, so there's no downsides to using an nVidia card on an AMD machine.

Those machines are a little mismatched in terms of generations... but an 8700k would perform slightly better than a Ryzen 5 (2600 series). The Ryzen 5 2600 outperforms the 1st generation Ryzen 7 1700 for single threaded workloads and gaming. Graphics wise, the 1070 is the better choice.

Some of the benefits you'd get with a Ryzen machine:
-CPU Upgrades. Next year when the 7nm Ryzen 2 (3000 series) comes out, you could just pop the new CPU in. Intel changes their chipset support nearly every year (anyone remember Kaby Lake that lasted all of 6 months?)
-More PCI lanes. If you're wanting to expand your system in the future with an M.2 SSD, or maybe your workload requires a RAID, soundcard, or SLI/Crossfire setup, more lanes means less bottlenecks- which translates to smoother performance. The normal user shouldn't need to pay too much attention to PCI lanes though.
(The above don't matter as much if you're just wanting to use the machine as-is)

Some of the benefits you'd get with an Intel machine:

-Better game optimization. Developers pretty much abandoned AMD from 2012 through 2016, and it shows. The gears are back in motion, but any game will probably have slightly higher framerates on an Intel chip than a Ryzen. That may change in the future, but something to think of.
-Faster overclocking. The clock speeds of the 8700k can be boosted a whopping 25% with a good cooler.  (though this reminds me a bit of the FX series aka Bulldozer)

Summary: All of the chips are solid, and will probably last you for several years. For single threaded workloads and/or pure gaming, I'd favor to Intel. For multi-threaded workloads and streaming, I'd favor AMD.

Thanks for the quick reply Xern, that is some good information and matches my research.

• Like 1

Those AMD machines look outdated, especially when one considers what is available for the same price from "green" side. If the AMD PC-s would have been with Ryzen 2xxx and Vega GPU then I´d consider them.

This one looks much more promising: https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-Master-GMA5000A-Desktop-Gaming/dp/B071NSBXTK/ref=pd_day0_147_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B071NSBXTK&pd_rd_r=XQ7KKNMZCW07HKT9TR0A&pd_rd_w=hUj1x&pd_rd_wg=DJx39&psc=1&refRID=XQ7KKNMZCW07HKT9TR0A

A i7 Intel CPU might or might not give 10% FPS boost over i5 in 1080p gaming(one excample of i5 8600K beating I7), in 1440p games it matters even less.

B350 doesn´t have as plenty of connectivity options as X370 does, x470 series would be even better as it has better RAM OC support.

There´s a class difference between GTX 1080 and GTX 1070, not so big difference between GTX 1070 Ti and GTX 1080:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-8gb,5311-16.html

• Like 1

Guys, another question, this time about gaming laptops.

Does a graphics card with the same model number in a laptop and desktop perform the same?  For example, this machine...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-512gb-solid-state-drive-matte-black-with-gold-diamond-cut/6211741.p?skuId=6211741

... has a Nividia GTX 1070.  Is that the exact same card as in the desktops?

I am in the market for a gaming pc and a work laptop.  I was thinking of getting both a gaming desktop PC and a macbook pro but then I thought I could just get one high end gaming laptop and hook up all my peripherals to use as a desktop at home.

Thanks for any information or opinions, I appreciate the help.