Sign in to follow this  
Fresh

Is this a good desktop rig for Fortnite and other PC gaming?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1338643-REG/cyberpowerpc_gma420_gamer_master_ryzen_5.html

Looking to spend around $1K.  I don't want to build it myself.

This vendor B&H has pretty good deals and the CyberPowerPC seems to be their gaming brand but is probably just some dude building gaming PCs for them.

Should I get liquid cooled?

Thanks guys!

Posted (edited)

Liquid cooling is a waste of money for that chip and card unless you're planning on doing serious overclocking or you hate the noise of fans (of course watercooling isn't silent itself, there's 1 or 2 fans + the noise of the pump...)

CyberPower isn't a house brand of B&H afaik, they sell PCs on multiple different sites. B&H is quite a good, reputable site however. I've had nothing but good experiences with them for camera gear.

That particular rig would handle anything you threw at it for gaming. You wouldn't get 60fps at 4K, but it would handle 1440p or below just fine.

Edited by Xernicus
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Xernicus said:

Liquid cooling is a waste of money for that chip and card unless you're planning on doing serious overclocking or you hate the noise of fans (of course watercooling isn't silent itself, there's 1 or 2 fans + the noise of the pump...)

CyberPower isn't a house brand of B&H afaik, they sell PCs on multiple different sites. B&H is quite a good, reputable site however. I've had nothing but good experiences with them for camera gear.

That particular rig would handle anything you threw at it for gaming. You wouldn't get 60fps at 4K, but it would handle 1440p or below just fine.

The worst part is a lot of AIO's perform on par with Noctua or Cryorig air coolers and have triple the noise with double the cost. Also the wraith cooler that comes with most ryzen cpus is pretty darn amazing on its own.

Should I get liquid cooled?

No. Save your money. Spend it on a nice keyboard and mouse to go with it :D. Those generic gaming keyboard/mouse combos are pretty terrible quality. The keyboard is the worst of the worst. My buddy has the MSI branded variant and there actually is a physical delay to the keystroke).

I think Amazon has a special where you can get a G.Skill Ripjaws Mechanical Keyboard with Cherry MX Speed Silver switches for $69.99

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thanks for the replies guys!

It seems the rigs with Intel chips are liquid cooled but the AMD ones are not.

Would the rig I posted be very loud with the fans they supply?  I am pretty sensitive to noise.  If liquid cooled is quieter I would consider paying for that.

10 hours ago, captnconcrete said:

u might like this site...

https://www.ibuypower.com

Thanks captn.  Any particular product from there I should look at?

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2018 at 12:00 AM, Fresh said:

Would the rig I posted be very loud with the fans they supply?  I am pretty sensitive to noise.  If liquid cooled is quieter I would consider paying for that.

As far as I'd know, they be relatively silent. of course that depends on what vendor CyberBuilder uses for fans, and who the board partner/vendor is for the graphics card (Gigabyte/Sapphire/PowerColor/etc) The Ryzen platform sips power and runs extremely cool and quiet compared to the old FX (Bulldozer/Piledriver/Vishera) platform. Off the top of my head, that's a 95 watt chip I believe, so even the worst cooler would run pretty quietly on that chip. And the stock cooler itself, which is quite decent (if they don't upgrade it) runs relatively silently.

I couldn't tell you for sure, but I'd guess that the Intel chips are being watercooled because Intel cheaped out and stopped soldering the IHS to the die, and is using third rate thermal interface material instead. This leads to the CPU hitting the Thermal Junction max temp (100 C / 212 F) when under full load. The only true solution to this issue is to "de-lid" the CPU and replace the TIM. This of course, voids the warranty... so custom PC builders are turning to watercooling instead. This was headlined in several tech news headlines not too long ago, and people are still raging about it.

Edited by Xernicus
Added bit about gfx card vendor
  • Like 2

On 5/12/2018 at 2:00 AM, Fresh said:

My Intel is not liquid cooled and it's pretty quiet, even with 9 240mm fans

• Like 2