Anyone using AVG free, check your state

RendeL

So had some issues lately with ping and connection on some servers here for the past few weeks.

Did run tests for hdd and memory, speedtest, pingtest, winmtr etc etc.

It had some packet loss along the way and I was not the only one suffering. Figured that the recent ddos going on globally might effect some of this.

Today it got even worse, as some sites just did not load properly, or at all (facebook and this site as example).

So another round of testing... other pc's, tablets and phones worked just fine with same wifi/router...Then I disabled the avg antivirus as last resort.

Everything worked then.

In other words, if you are suffering lag or slow pc, try disabling your avg (if you are using it) for a while and see if it helps.

Installed avast and so far so good.

I use ZoneAlarm Free FireWall and Anti-Virus 2017, There's different versions for XP or Win7,8,10.

Had kinda the same issue some days ago. Do you use one of the updated latest build of Windows 10 by any chance? If so then you might encounter some of issues than most encounter with their antivirus. There's all kind of issues between most antivirus and the latest versions of Windows 10.

Like me, most Comodo users probably received a warning message leading to their forum. They mention DDOS and login issue but in my case it was more issues like you.. I had to download the update of Comodo made as fixe and to reinstall it. This fixed my issues. Check if there's a newer version of your antivirus and reinstall it.

https://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-cis/please-read-before-updating-to-microsoft-update-kb4022716os-build-15063447-t119928.0.html

Edited by Ann!b@l

I use old vista 64 bit :D

Had zonealarm and tried also comodo at some point. The problem was back then, that both (firewall parts) were a little too efficient on blocking things and few years back, the pop-ups drove me mad, as those could not be put off.

Will try again zonealarm or comodo.

AVG installs some "unwanted" features and it keeps "active" connection of harmfull istances appearance. -> eats connection but maybe limit usage of things which needs continous flow like games and movies etc. depends on connection. I have done many uninstall of avg and pc comes alive again in desent connection speed.

• Like 1

In other words, if you are suffering lag or slow pc, try disabling your avg (if you are using it) for a while and see if it helps.

Installed avast and so far so good.

Avast and AVG are now the same, and they have merged their software/antivirus engine. It was probably an update that caused an issue, and just needed the fix installation to be run - if it was anything else there is a good chance Avast would have been the same.

• Like 1

Avast and AVG are now the same, and they have merged their software/antivirus engine. It was probably an update that caused an issue, and just needed the fix installation to be run - if it was anything else there is a good chance Avast would have been the same.

Thanks for the info, didn't know that AND also had same shit with avast right after I installed it to replace avg...just thought it was me doing something wrong, but apparently not.

I use now zonealarm and no issues.