Screen only showing 1/4 of game

n6packer
Go to solution Solved by n6packer,

Windows 10

RX480

All drivers - direct x12 and such, up to date.

And yes, it is running in compatibility mode for XP SP2.

I go to play Wolf ET - Mind you, I was completely dedicated to this game over 10 years ago. I'm saying, clans such as GG Golden Gamerz, WS, and dP dynamite planted. It's sad to see that XFire is no longer in existence, because I have so many hours racked up in this game it was nuts. I STILL love it and it hurts to know that my computer - as updated as it is - can't run it properly.

- Back to what happens - 

I load up the game, go to play and kept the standard resolution at 800 x 600. I didn't touch it. Did my profile - setup my things like normal.

I join a FA server, (silent) download the updates and the like. Get in, and I'm lagging just a little bit. Things aren't matching up, but I can navigate.

I go to the menu, go to options and change my resolution to 1920 x 1080. Game reconnects, and now my screen is showing only the top left portion of the game.

Such that, I can see the tip of the gun (spectator mode), and from the kill feed up. I can screen shot it if need be. Literally a little more than 1/4 of the top left corner of the game.

I went so far as to try and change to a different resolution and even the ones native to the game (1280 being the highest in the stock menu) and it still messes up my view.

SO, I had found one forum post on how to make the game launch in a certain resolution. NOPE, that didn't work. (The instructions to edit the launch path in shortcut properties - +r_mode "-1" +r_customwidth "1920" +r_customheight "1080" +cg_fov "115" +set com_hunkmegs "768" +vid_restart)

I had the original download of the game that installed it to the 2.6. So I followed the instruction on the forum to download the custom one.

Uninstalled - reinstalled. Same thing - no change.

Made sure it was FULLSCREEN in the options.

I deleted old profiles that were from a year or so ago. Nope. Didn't help. I seriously started fresh and still, to no avail, my screen will not set right.

I'm not sure what else to do, and I'd love to play the game again.

At this point, I'm open to trying anything in hopes of a fix.

• Leader

shortcut properties - +r_mode "-1" +r_customwidth "1920" +r_customheight "1080" +cg_fov "115" +set com_hunkmegs "768" +vid_restart)

I tried that and got a "could not open OpenGL" error.

I took all out except for  +r_mode "-1" +r_customwidth "1920" +r_customheight "1080" and ET did run, except that the actual resolution was way off.  When I put the vid_restart back in, I got the OpenGL Error again.

Ah, it turns out that the maximum resolution for my monitor is 1600 x 900.  When I tried to set a higher resolution in ET-Options, I got the same OpenGL Error.  I guess that I had better start using the more modern monitor that I got almost a year ago. :)

Edited by RedBaird

• Leader

and change my resolution to 1920 x 1080. Game reconnects, and now my screen is showing only the top left portion of the game.

Such that, I can see the tip of the gun (spectator mode), and from the kill feed up. I can screen shot it if need be. Literally a little more than 1/4 of the top left corner of the game.

I had something like that happen with Quake2 on Win95.  I had set the game resolution higher than either my vid-card or monitor could handle (don't remember which), and only the top-left quadrant of the game screen would show.  Even stranger was that part of the map was showing in the file-display side of File Explorer.   :D  The Windows display system had gotten corrupted too!

I deleted old profiles that were from a year or so ago. Nope. Didn't help. I seriously started fresh and still, to no avail, my screen will not set right.

I recommend never deleting files or folders when trying to fix a problem.  You can move them elsewhere on the HD and still have them if they are needed.

I actually had this issue not too long ago when I went through and replaced several ET generated profiles in my profile directories.
What causes it exactly, I'm not sure- but I don't think ET likes it when config files in the etmain directory and profiles directory mismatch- especially with launch options.
Just to make sure, you don't have display scaling on in Radeon Settings?

My two cents, don't use flags in the shortcut to set your video options, make a custom config.
I'm curious to see if this works: I've attached a config file that will change your video options.
Copy it to your etmain and silent directories.

-Erase all of the cvars you put in your launch options

-Start ET (don't load any mods or join servers yet) and type /exec vidoptions.cfg and then type /vid_restart manually. See if it helps.

-If it helps, click on Mods -> SilEnT -> Load.

-/exec the file again.

You're more than welcome to make a config request here: https://fearless-assassins.com/forum/206-et-scripts-configs/

Make sure to read the pinned topic by daredevil so we can make the best one for you.

vidoptions.cfg

Edited by Xernicus

I recommend never deleting files or folders when trying to fix a problem.  You can move them elsewhere on the HD and still have them if they are needed.

The old files never worked either. I gave up last time I was trying to play. Now that I have some free time this week(end), I figured I'd jump into solving the issue.

But even before the new graphics card, I was still having the same problem with my hd7850. AND at that time I was running on a 24" TV. Now I have an actual monitor that has an actual recommended resolution of 1920 x 1080.

Any suggestions? 

Sounds obvious but have you tried ALT + Return to switch to windowed mode? and then switch back by doing the same

Sounds obvious but have you tried ALT + Return to switch to windowed mode? and then switch back by doing the same

I did not. For some reason, I can't alt tab out or use the minimizer (yet)

Just to make sure, you don't have display scaling on in Radeon Settings?

Nope - http://i.imgur.com/DIL0ef7.jpg

And sorry, I posted before I saw your response. I'm making an attempt as soon as I post this reply. Thanks for your help so far!

Edited by n6packer

I might add - now that my screen has that resolution, it gets cursor/mouse drift as well.  It has done this before with this issue but it does not drift when it's at the 800 x 600.

And changing any of the options in my AMD settings that I clipped above, does nothing.

Edited by n6packer