WIkipedia Page Denied

PHANTASM

I was on Wikipedia and I put up a page about =F|A=:

29e6ucj.jpg

I went over to the search bar and tried to look it up to see what would happen if people looked for us, and this what popped up:

33a5ldz.jpg

So I am debating with Wikipedia admins to let us have a page.

They deleted the page I made. I had a polite discussion with a Wikipedia admin last night. He said that as a policy they don't allow wikis to be made about "clubs". He also said that we needed to demonstrate our importance by having an article written about us in a reputable journal or paper.

I made the counter-point that their Wikipedia cover story of the day was about the rock band AC-DC. They are certainly a "club". We also have hundreds of members and have some of the most popular servers on the internet for Wolf:ET and COD4, and they have approved Wikipedia pages devoted to these games. Then he said that he had never heard of any video game club that was relevant, and I realized the conversation was going nowhere. So I guess to the outside world we are just a bunch of adolescents playing on our Nintendos.

We have some stereotypes to overcome.

They deleted the page I made. I had a polite discussion with a Wikipedia admin last night. He said that as a policy they don't allow wikis to be made about "clubs". He also said that we needed to demonstrate our importance by having an article written about us in a reputable journal or paper.

I made the counter-point that their Wikipedia cover story of the day was about the rock band AC-DC. They are certainly a "club". We also have hundreds of members and have some of the most popular servers on the internet for Wolf:ET and COD4, and they have approved Wikipedia pages devoted to these games. Then he said that he had never heard of any video game club that was relevant, and I realized the conversation was going nowhere. So I guess to the outside world we are just a bunch of adolescents playing on our Nintendos.

We have some stereotypes to overcome.

tbf, looking from Wiki's side of view, though counter - productive to my vested intrest of course, wiki was and is designed as a point of information for the genreal public and outside of ET, COD and BF, FA is not that actually well known. I suppose it would be equilvent to putting a school on wiki then putting the clubs on. The school, which could be seen a game like W:ET or COD, may be of importance for some historical reason - it may have some historical signinficance or produced some notable alumni. For example, this Wiki Page was of my high/sixth form school and though it may not have a significant meaning or reputation, like say Eton college, it has ,none theless, contributed several historical figures of variours reputation and is also a public institution that the genral public may be intrested in, or have a vested intrest in, which i think is the main point. You wont get a wiki page on your local cafe unless it is special - e.g it is a michelin star one or one run by a famous chef (like this restaurent ) , but you may get a wiki page on your local musesum or train station as the general public is more likely to hear and therefore want to know bout these.

However the school clubs arent of much intrestbecause unless you go to the school itself, what do you care? The general public may be intrested in knowing about the history of a school, and perhaps its current activities of listed, but not actually wahat goes on in. Its like writing a wiki page on a famous manufactoring company , but not what the insides of it are like. You may want to know its origins, location and recent activities etc, but not that the forth floor toilet has one less toilet than the sixth floor toilet.

In this respect then, Wiki has to deny us , as much as any other clan like G!X or BBA which are no doubt familier names to many players , as the general public just dont care. We may have heard of G!X , but the average non-player probaley hasent (at least perhaps no in the same context). The only way we would get an FA page then would be to do something that had a significant impact in some way outside of ET.

Condsier for example, the number of people who have contrubited to the design of FPS then look at this Wiki page and see how many are listed

A better example would be to refer to mappers; specifically mappers for the old DOS Doom games , who made custom WADs. There are thousands of WADs out there. made perghaps by one person or a group of people. And yet is there a wiki page for them ? No. There is a wiki page for TeamTNT, but this is because TeamTNT also designed maps for Final Doom and so have had more critical impact on the outside world than any other teams because its their name on the box, so to speak.

Goin back to AC-DC, no doubt they are well known, have had impact on the music inductry and people have heard of them even if they have not listened to them, and people will want to read bout them.

It sucks, but to the outside world, we are not known, so its not of vested wiki intrest to have us, as it were

Look @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deletion_policy, click onto 'Any other content not suitable for an encyclopedia' and you may find we may fall under http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:What_Wikipedia_is_not#Wikipedia_is_not_an_indiscriminate_collection_of_information and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability I think the most important one is that we have not '...received significant coverage in reliable sources that are independent of the subject' ; as i siad we are not exactly famous outside of the games

It sucks i know, but till one of us gets elected then donates a gazillion to FA and gets it on several paper -headlines, which will make people curious bout what FA is and thus want to know bout it - we arnt gettint that page anytime soon...

• 11 months later...