ET Server Suggestion Jay 1 Non-Map Suggestions

-=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP

OK, so I have been trying to think this out and say it all the "right" way, but I suck at that. So, anyway, Jay 1 is a good example of what ET is these days and that's less about skills development and more about chaotic free-for-all, just get as many kills as possible anyway you can. But there are people who still try and play skillfully, that aren't high-skilled players naturally such as Nightmare, Bunny and some others are. Maybe people who could never be that good got frustrated and moved away from being more skilled and chose to just melee-kill, which is fine, if that's what they choose.

Recently, I've paid attention to how I get killed and almost never is it by a default SMG (Thompson or FG42). It's almost always by heavy weapons. rifle-nade, Heavy MG, Panzer, Flame, arty, mortar or M97. This tells me that that is just too much of these types of weapons available. 

I'm not asking to radically change the game, I wouldn't want to do that. but to make it so heavy weapons are still available without frustrating people who still like to use old-school game sense and tactics, but limited.

I've been told the idea is for everyone to enjoy the server, right? So what about some limits, if possible. Less Rifle-nades, M97's and only 1 Heavy MG and a limit on the poison gas and arty that gets spammed horribly. I've sat back in a corner and just listened to one person throw non-stop arty. I mean non-stop. 

This would make the game still full of the "fun" weapons and make it more able to be played by skilled-minded people without being constantly slammed by arty, rifle nades, etc., so I ask that the admins look at this seriously, consider it and not just brush it off quickly

Edited by -=HipKat=-
  • Like 1

Good post. I do know a lot people who won't touch Jay1 because of the explosion spam and poison knives so here's my opinion on your suggestions as someone who doesn't play on Jay1 nearly as much as Jay2:

• Lower 'team_maxGrenLaunchers [num]/[num%]'

I agree with this. I don't know what the current limit is but since explosions do so much damage compared to other Jaymod servers due to no flak jacket, I think the number should only be around 10-15% of the team.

• Lower 'team_maxM97s [num]/[num%]'

I don't mind what it is right now. M97s take more skill to use than heavy weapons in my opinion and they're balanced alright as they don't do well in battles against multiple people and have other weaknesses like the delay between shots.

• Set 'team_maxMG42s 1'

I think 1 is a little low but I agree that too many is an issue - though I'm not sure what it's set to now. I think the minimum number of players on a team is 12 because of bots and the maximum is 26 so to me 10% would be a good number. Most of the time it will be 1 MG per team and when the server fills up it will be 2.

• Limit poison gas

I don't know of a cvar that does this, the only things I can think of are turning off poison mines or disabling poison gas grenades. I don't mind what it's like right now though.

• Lower 'team_maxArtillery [num]/[num%]'

I agree with this, it seems like I always get hit by arty on Jay1. This cvar restricts the number of airstrikes/artillery per minute, I'd set it to 1 or 2 personally 😛.

I recommend you ask people on the server to reply to this topic with their opinions as well. More feedback would likely result in these things getting changed but in the end it's up to DD.

• 100 1

How bout you play on silent ? Where people play a more "pur" ET style . Why changing a crowded server  to your favorite specs while we have other  server adapted to this game play? 

Don t you think that jay 1 is crowded as it is due to theses specs?  Where will us poor m97 users and panza noob will play?  If i can never put my hands on the m97 or that my poison knifes don t work , i ll probably play somewhere else.. I assume i m not alone in this situation . 

There is a very good reason i never go on hc or silent , it s simply boring to me . My aim sucks , i cant make any kill soo i spend a map respawning/getting killed 🔁

What happen next? Jay 1 dies cuz it s just an other regular server where only the skilled player can manage not to die every 10 seconds. 

My2cents 

• Like 2
  • 100 3

You would have to reduce the recharge time for classes with poison 

g_covertopsChargeTime
g_soldierChargeTime

but changing the soldierChargeTime affects the mortar panzer just a reminder this one can upset some regulars 

you can make sure g_sk5_cvops and g_sk5_soldier is set to 4 or 6 not default 7 this has no effect on weapons but gas / grenades 

That would be all you can do 

g_sk5_cvops
Default: “7”
1 Consume less charge
2 More grenades
4 Enable poison-gas grenade

g_sk5_soldier
Default: “7”
1 Consume less charge
2 More grenades
4 Enable poison-gas grenade

The weapon.cfg has no effect on canister throw time tried it still looking in a script to slow throw rate for

models/multiplayer/smokebomb/weapon.cfg

If I get the rate of throw tuned down I'll let you know

Poison gas and rnades really need to be reduced. Small maps such as supply depot, the poison gas is really annoying to deal with when theres multiple people just spamming away at them. And for many, it may cause fps issues with smoke and gas everywhere.

Rnades are really powerful due to flak jacket being disabled, so limiting the amount of players that can wield the rifles would be a nice thing to see in the server. An rnade limitation may actually help teams in certain maps such as Hotchkiss where rnades are super powerful due to small and limited chokepoints.

As for weapons like the MG42 and M97, I don't really care tbh. People prone with deployed MG42 are super easy headshots (like snipers) and most sit in the same spot(s) so I just line it up properly before peaking and prefire right before I'm in their line of sight. Even using a jiggle peak couple times before committing to the fight can give you have an edge. If they're close to you, try to get outside of the cone that they can aim and you will win every time.

Arty is fine tbh, you dont want to make fops worthless. Most the maps the arty is in the same general area majority of the duration of said maps so when its in the same spot time and time again you learn quickly how to dodge the arty completely. Most of the good maps give you plenty of options to dodge it but not sacrificing too much of your time rotating around to dodge it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eazy said:

How bout you play on silent ? Where people play a more "pur" ET style . Why changing a crowded server  to your favorite specs while we have other  server adapted to this game play? 

Suggesting changes is not a bad thing. Just cause the server does well now does not mean that there are things that can't be changed or improved. Ignoring suggestions and saying things like 'go play on A server if you want B or X server if you want Y' should not be encouraged in my opinion. There's always room for improvement to servers and feedback is a good thing.

I know you're worried about it potentially killing the server but it's really not hard to change settings back if there are people complaining. Not too long ago Jay2 got double SMGs added because someone suggested it. After getting complaints from the regulars, the feature got removed.

3 hours ago, Eazy said:

If i can never put my hands on the m97 or that my poison knifes don t work , i ll probably play somewhere else.. I assume i m not alone in this situation . 

No where did Hipkat suggest that we outright remove M97s or poison knives. All he asked was that we reduce the number of shotguns and he didn't even mention the knives.

• Like 3

I agree with Cabal on this one.

Arty, shotgun and mg42 are just fine.

Poison gas should be disabled on smaller maps like supplydepot, bremen, pirates... on bigger its ok i think. (I know its disabled on some maps just dont remember which maps)

I think many of these problems HipKat mentioned could be solved with bigger maps.

Edited by Bunnny
  • Like 3

• Platinum VIP

Thank you for the replies. There is a play Silent servers sometimes, but it’s just not my preferred mod. I don’t have anything against it, I just am not comfortable playing there.

Heavy MG’s.

It would be cool if there was only one per team. But this one does not bother me as much and is probably the least significant of the things that I posted about. I do the same thing as Cabal with the slight peaks and lining up my shots and I do pretty good at taking them out from a distance.

M97.

The only real problem I have with M97’s is that it’s a 1 kill weapon. So I will relent that this is more of a personal gripe. 

Arty and Poison Gas.

The thing about the gas is that it gets abused and people just constantly throw gas canisters. No my problem with that is two things. One, it really does not generate too many kills, and two, it definitely does not generate enough kills to block the vision of your teammates so that you can’t see when your enemy is coming. To me, poison gas works against your own team.

Same thing with Arty. It’s spammed so much that it’s almost like it’s being abused. There are times on smaller maps that I’ll be in spec and you could just hear Arty dropping in many different directions continuously. 

The reason I didn’t bring up knives is because it seems to have become less of an issue, as if less people are using them. Plus, I started using them and have discovered that there really is some skill involved. I don’t use it as my primary weapon though, usually to get a first strike and follow up with my MG or to get somebody away from me that I won’t win a battle with because I’m low on health.

8 hours ago, ElEl said:

Suggesting changes is not a bad thing. Just cause the server does well now does not mean that there are things that can't be changed or improved. Ignoring suggestions and saying things like 'go play on A server if you want B or X server if you want Y' should not be encouraged in my opinion. There's always room for improvement to servers and feedback is a good thing.

I know you're worried about it potentially killing the server but it's really not hard to change settings back if there are people complaining. Not too long ago Jay2 got double SMGs added because someone suggested it. After getting complaints from the regulars, the feature got removed.

Change is good indeed and should not be ignore i agree but if what you dislike in jay 1 is what make it unique , it s contradiction don t you think? One don t like the mod but enjoy it s population . Yet other server with different mod are not as popular . A lot of regular play on jay 1 even if they are far from server just soo they can use those specifics specs . 

Suggesting to visit our other servers is imo a good  option . One can view what s available here and there and then decide if he wants to play a chaotics server as jay 1 or a more "serious" and oriented server as silent . 

As we speak, jay 1 get 30-50 players daily at all time while etpro can barely get 6vs6 . To me, that mean that average players want to use whatever weapon and still have a chance to make a kill . Numbers speaks by themself , in 2019 ET s not the same as in the early years . It s not a medic/smg anymore . 

8 hours ago, ElEl said:

No where did Hipkat suggest that we outright remove M97s or poison knives. All he asked was that we reduce the number of shotguns and he didn't even mention the knives.

M97/knifes were just an exemple that i relate too .  Same would apply to the arty user , the heavy weapon or even rnades luncher .  If you feel there is a lot of them , wouldn t that mean a lot of regular like to use it?! If you reduce theses options to them, they ll be force to play smg? 

At the end of the day , the good smg players usually gets the most kill out of a map. They do hate to be killed by rnade/arty/poison but like everyone , they can respawn and kill again . 

• Like 2

• Platinum VIP

@Eazy  I hear what you’re saying and I’m not asking to remove anything completely because that would not be fair to the people that like those weapons. But some of those weapons can be overwhelming when they’re used to often. What you say about liking the mod is true because I think most  ET player started with JM but also this server is where I know most of the people that play here. One of the problems with silence is I don’t know anybody on there which makes the fact that I don’t really like that mod as much, even more profound. 

But I don’t want to get too wrapped up into personal feelings, but to stick with the topic which is making it so that it’s still fun for people that like to use heavy weapons and still more fair for people who like to use more skills to get their kills.

And let’s face it, if I were as skilled as the best players on that server are, we are probably not having this conversation but I think that most people are in my league when it comes to skills and are the ones that  Will benefit the most from what I am proposing 

Edited by -=HipKat=-
  • Like 2

• Platinum VIP

Also, now that I think about it, I don’t see how it’s a bad thing to limit some weapons, like double dragon sad where the recharge time for arty or gas is longer so that people can still use those weapons but it gives other players more time to move around without getting constantly bombarded. Or rifle grenades where I think   Some of those people pick engineer just for that weapon, not to actually do the things that engineers are expected to do. The most frustrating thing is getting killed by five or more rifle grenade’rs in the same map.

I also want to note you can modify the map.scripts 

The Command post setchargetimefactor can be modified if maps have cp's 

Allies charge time is 1 axis is 0

setchargetimefactor 1 soldier 1 // default is 1 to increase set to a higher number

setchargetimefactor 1 covertops 1

Example of axis to higher time

setchargetimefactor 0 covertops 2 // 2 doubles the time it takes to recharge if it took 3 secs to recharge it takes 6 now

setchargetimefactor 0 covertops 2

if a map doesn't have a cp you can put this in the game_manager inside the spawn

game_manager
{
    spawn
    {

setchargetimefactor 1 soldier 2

setchargetimefactor 1 covertops 2

}

}

Edited by DoubleDragon
  • Like 1

These are the available ChargeTime factors for server.cfg's as well

g_soldierChargeTime

g_medicChargeTime

g_engineerChargeTime

g_LTChargeTime // fieldops charge time

g_covertopsChargeTime

You set these by milliseconds "1000" = 1 sec

https://github.com/id-Software/Enemy-Territory/blob/master/src/game/g_script_actions.c#L773

still no luck on finding the proper script for smokebomb

• Like 1

The radius and damage of the poison gas on jaymod can't be modified unless you rebuild the mod it self 

it is part of the src/game/g_weapon.cpp catalog file used in Visual Studio Express or C++

https://github.com/budjb/jaymod/blob/master/src/game/g_weapon.cpp#L3996

setting a set poisonGasDamage "1" in server.cfg has no effect just adds a null void does nothing and console reads it and calls back the output of 1

using this is a map.script

setpoisongasdamage "1"

or

setpoisongasdamage 1

only effect is a crash so this wont work

edit:fix typos

Edited by DoubleDragon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DoubleDragon said:

I also want to note you can modify the map.scripts 

The Command post setchargetimefactor can be modified if maps have cp's 

Allies charge time is 1 axis is 0

setchargetimefactor 1 soldier 1 // default is 1 to increase set to a higher number

setchargetimefactor 1 covertops 1

Example of axis to higher time

setchargetimefactor 0 covertops 2 // 2 doubles the time it takes to recharge if it took 3 secs to recharge it takes 6 now

What about maps where both teams can have 2 cps such as the F|A version of gold rush? Does this charge stack?

• 100 1