Windows Folder Permissions

Renegade Pig

• ET Member

Soooo.

Somehow I managed to mess up the permissions in my ET folder.

Now the game will not load, and I cant move any files out of it, as it now says I don't have permissions.

How can I fix this, I've been trying for over an hour now and I cant seem to fix it.

Thanks in advance 

• Leader
2 hours ago, -=HipKat=- said:

Just right click on the folder, click on properties and Security, then change permissions

I was thinking that too, but I wonder if his main-user is set to Administer.  I think most of us have done that.

It is 'best practice' to not do that.  :D  

• 100 1

• Platinum VIP
21 minutes ago, RedBaird said:

I was thinking that too, but I wonder if his main-user is set to Administer.  I think most of us have done that.

It is 'best practice' to not do that.  :D  

One of the things I hate about windows 10 is that a disabled the super administrator, but I think that when you login as owner you are also being made administrator

• Like 1

• ET Member
8 hours ago, -=HipKat=- said:

Just right click on the folder, click on properties and Security, then change permissions

Sounds easy, but that didn't work.   Iv'e already tried it 

• Sad 1

• Leader
6 hours ago, Renegade Pig said:

Sounds easy, but that didn't work.   Iv'e already tried it 

Did you "Ask Microsoft"?  

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

That is the first response to a search for "broken windows folder permissions", which may mean that your 'real answer' is more complex.

• ET Member

I've tried just about everything.  I messed it up good.

I even tried to copy the et key and my autoexec over to the new folder.

It copies but doesn't seem to recognize it..

Frustrating to say the least

• Leader

You created a new ET installation and tried to copy your etkey and autoexec.cfg into it?  What about your profile folder and etconfig.cfg?  Actually, a default etconfig should have been created when the installer ran.

Why don't you open the etkey and autoexec files in an editor and take a look at them?

I had trouble with a Doom2 config file that somehow got an extra KB of binary appended to it and the game refused to run.  That was with FAT32 and not NTFS, though.

Have you run ChkDsk or some other file-system checker?  This sounds like some kind of corruption, either of some files or of system-settings...

The crossed-out lines are invalid as they would not produce a "permissions" error/problem.

Edited by RedBaird
oops, not the problem
  • Like 1
  • 100 1

Right-click on Enemy territory folder, Properties, Security...

To change permissions, Click Edit...

Group or User names: To change permissions, click Edit,

Find: Computer Name or User in list of Group or user names,

Click on Computer name or User to highlight If You find, If Not click Add...Add User name in box...Click Ok

Permissions for Administrators: Fill in Allow boxes, Click OK

Edited by Buckwild
  • Like 1

• ET Member

Files such as  etconfig and key seem to be ok, when I go in game to exec the autoexec says it couldn't find it.

@Buckwild   I've tried that a bunch of different ways.  When I think I've fixed it and hit apply, i get this error message.

image.png.11c122a986762c053f870a8cd3ef496b.png

So at this point, I'm just trying to salvage some of the files to put into the new ET folder.  But the et key I moved into the main doesn't seem to have worked.

So I may just scrap the whole thing and start from 0  :( 

Open compmgmt.msc

Click on Local Users and Groups

Click on Group

Click on Administrators on the right

Right click Add to Group

Click on add on bottom left

Search for your %username% 

Click Check Names

If you name is present already add it again click ok to close

Make sure your running this as administrator

Just take ownership of the folder, changing permissions wont do much a deny always overrules allow.

So.....

Right click your ET folder and go to properties.

Click the security tab then "advanced" and a new window will pop up, at the top it will say owner...tick the box under owner where it says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" then click where it says "change" at the end of the owner.

Now click advanced then "find now" and a list of all available users on your system will appear, select your user name from the list then press OK, OK, apply and if asked say yes to all sub folders and files.

Windows will now reset all permissions and make you the owner of the ET folder and all folders and files within the ET folder.

Once the process has finished close all the windows and you should once again have full access to the ET folder.

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 1

He's already tried to do that

This is a group policy issue related to the folder being owned by the administrative group

he's either going to have to rejoin the group or login to administrator and assign a new user to the group policy 

1 hour ago, DoubleDragon said:

He's already tried to do that

This is a group policy issue related to the folder being owned by the administrative group

he's either going to have to rejoin the group or login to administrator and assign a new user to the group policy 

Must have missed that but tbf no where does it say that he has tried to take ownership of the folder and failed, only mentions changing permissions etc......And it may be a group policy issue but the folder being owned by the administrator group would not stop an admin account (specifically his) taking ownership. 

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 1