ET Server Suggestion =F|A= BEGINNERS #2 maximum allowed ping

HarryAimpotter

Hello

Can someone please set a maximum ping limit to a player. 

Right now people with 250+ ping are joining and making the server lag. I think 150 should be the absolute limit. Yes the server might loose few regular players but it will improve the overall enjoiment for the rest of us. In the long run this will help enlarge the playerbase. 10 minutes ago we had 3 x 250+ ping players ( one had 400+ ping at some point!) and the server was unplayable and because of that me and many others left.

I hope something gets done about that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 1

From wiki:

Players With High & Unstable Ping

If a player’s ping reaches over 500 there are a couple of things you can do. First ask them to change their max packets and rate with /cl_maxpackets 100, /rate 34000 and /cg_autorate 1. Some of our servers have options in the vsay menu by pressing 0. Admins should be familiar with this menu so that they can easily explain it to new players. If they don’t change their settings continue to message them in private messages telling them to make the changes or ask on Discord if there’s someone who can translate for you.

High ping is usually only an issue on servers with a large number of slots such as 50 or 64, it shouldn’t matter that much for a 20 or 24 slot server. Also note that a stable ping of less than 500 is allowed as it doesn’t hurt the server but if the ping fluctuates a lot from, say, 200 to 600 or 70 to 450, then try to work with them to fix it – put them in spec if you need to get their attention. If this doesn’t work kick them from the server. If after 3 kicks the player continues to lag, ban them for 12 hours for the same reason.

Reason: Ping Spikes.

If the ping is steady, it should not be any problem to others (thisway from Chile has ~300 ping, but steady). If you visit our other servers, you notice much higher pings there and no issues with it. 

If the ping isn't steady, we admins ask ppl to fix it or we put them spec if they go zombie all the time. AWP is a good example of such a player, unfortunately he doesn't care to listen, but starts to insult also.

P.S. thanks for coming here to share your thoughts. As we spoke about this on server, there isn't much I can do about it, but bringing this here in daylight for discussion might help. Feel free to apply and become help for us few out there to deal with these issues :)

• Like 3
  • 100 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 12/30/2018 at 9:51 AM, captnconcrete said:

i asked this already .. 

we donot  kick or bann for ping issue. even tho wiki says we can.

i do how ever feel ur pain .. im not a fan of unstable pings either ..

2 things - 

when someone pings changes from 50 to 600 - yes after certain times telling them - we give short kick.  That's why wiki says - admin can - i.e. fluctuating ping over the span of 15 mins. 

when someone ping is 250 - playing from Asia / Honkong / China - all good. No harm. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 12/30/2018 at 5:29 AM, HarryAimpotter said:

Hello

Can someone please set a maximum ping limit to a player. 

Right now people with 250+ ping are joining and making the server lag. I think 150 should be the absolute limit. Yes the server might loose few regular players but it will improve the overall enjoiment for the rest of us. In the long run this will help enlarge the playerbase. 10 minutes ago we had 3 x 250+ ping players ( one had 400+ ping at some point!) and the server was unplayable and because of that me and many others left.

I hope something gets done about that.

Because one player ping is 400 - that shouldn't effect your game play by big shot - can you please provide the evidence of it from code perspective?  Their needs to factual evidence to support your thesis. If someone is lagging - that would effect their game play. The reason we can give !kick in extreme cases is because - they can fix their internet first and then join back - That would help them. 

If i make 150 limited ping - during connecting your ping is much higher then normal and in fact that would end up resulting - blocking you in itself. 

If you and me - both are on server - i can prove in real time - that my simulated lag - doesn't effect your FPS and/or lagometer. 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2019 at 11:31 PM, daredevil said:

Because one player ping is 400 - that shouldn't effect your game play by big shot - can you please provide the evidence of it from code perspective?  Their needs to factual evidence to support your thesis. If someone is lagging - that would effect their game play. The reason we can give !kick in extreme cases is because - they can fix their internet first and then join back - That would help them. 

If i make 150 limited ping - during connecting your ping is much higher then normal and in fact that would end up resulting - blocking you in itself. 

If you and me - both are on server - i can prove in real time - that my simulated lag - doesn't effect your FPS and/or lagometer. 

Well, I dont have any actual scientific evidence for my claims. All I know is that when a high ping player joins the server pings of all the other players go slightly up. It causes small problems when there is one or two high ping players but the more such players join the worse it gets. It is obvious that server has problems dealing with many (at least 4 or more) high-ping players. I have never experienced netlag when Im in the server alone or with few other normal ping players. To prove of disprove my theory would be quite easy. Just get rid of the high ping players when there are a lot of them and see if it has any effect on the server and pings of other players .

Edited by HarryAimpotter

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, HarryAimpotter said:

Well, I dont have any actual scientific evidence for my claims. All I know is that when a high ping player joins the server pings of all the other players go slightly up. It causes small problems when there is one or two high ping players but the more such players join the worse it gets. It is obvious that server has problems dealing with many (at least 4 or more) high-ping players. I have never experienced netlag when Im in the server alone or with few other normal ping players. To prove of disprove my theory would be quite easy. Just get rid of the high ping players when there are a lot of them and see if it has any effect on the server and pings of other players .

What you are asking me is removing/blocking other players for your testing purpose when their is no code perspective to up hold your theory. No sorry, we don't do that. Last 10 years in the game it wasn't an issue and suddenly it's an issue? Code doesn't change auto by itself. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daredevil said:

What you are asking me is removing/blocking other players for your testing purpose when their is no code perspective to up hold your theory. No sorry, we don't do that. Last 10 years in the game it wasn't an issue and suddenly it's an issue? Code doesn't change auto by itself. 

Yes I am asking you to temporarily get rid of the high ping players.  Having good or bad netcode has little to do with the issue. It helps ofcourse but is no way a gurantee. It's all about the server side capabilities. You can have the best server with the best code on it with the best netwok connection but still get DDoS-d. It might take a lot of  brute force but still. This is basically what we might experience here. The server can't handle a lot of  connections with high ping and latency.

• Administrators
15 hours ago, HarryAimpotter said:

Yes I am asking you to temporarily get rid of the high ping players.  Having good or bad netcode has little to do with the issue. It helps ofcourse but is no way a gurantee. It's all about the server side capabilities. You can have the best server with the best code on it with the best netwok connection but still get DDoS-d. It might take a lot of  brute force but still. This is basically what we might experience here. The server can't handle a lot of  connections with high ping and latency.

Their are lot of 'if' in your answers. We don't kick 'temporarily' players. DDoS can screw up lot of things. It's like saying we can make best city but if nuclear war happens everything will get destroyed so what's the point? I don't understand your DDoS play card. 

You are entitled to your own assumptions but please show me facts. On what basis you are claiming that server can't handle stable high pings?  Also how having good or bad code have little or no issue? Code will have maximum effect for any application. Seriously, I am not going to explain you on that one. Google for it. 

If you are just looking for an answer - No - we will not have ping limit for your own personal testing. If you like to do testing, create your own server, put limit and sit it out. 

If you show valid evidence - yes, I can look into it - but till now you have brought no evidence on the table.