USA Westcoast

Olykiller

Yo all

In September im going on a trip across the USA Westcoast for 3 weeks.

I was wondering if anyone has been to Los Angeles / Las Vegas / San Fransisco and has tips for bars/clubs to spend the evening. Not that im going out every night, in fact the national parks interest me the most. Any tips for the national parks always welcome too :)

One of my friends proposed to go to Omnia Nightclub in Las Vegas but i read multiple really bad reviews on tripadvisor...

Planning is following:

Los Angeles, Joshua Tree NP, Grand Canyon NP, Monument Valley, Page, Bryce canyon NP, Zion NP, Las Vegas, Death Valley NP, Sequoia NP, Yosemite NP, San Fransisco, Los Angeles.

Greets

Oly

• Like 2

Try to find one of those spots where a ton of sea lions and elephant walrus hang out. I've been to SF twice but don't really have any good info on it tbh. How are you getting to CA?

Just been to Cali for 2,5 weeks. But from all the stuff you are visiting I just did Sequoia and Yosemite, and SF for a day (more than enough). I don't go to clubs. Only bars. We stayed in Mariposa for Yosemite NP. If you are there keep in mind there is really nothing going on. But there is a little gem of a bar called The Hide-Out Saloon. Funky as hell. I had a great time there for 2 days in a row. Even sang karaoke (nothing fancy. Is on wednesdays).

We did highway 1. which was great. I reckon you will take highway 395. If not: you should!

Biggest thing: take a whale-watching trip from Monterey!! We had 7 killer-whales hunting and killing a grey whale! And although in september you probably will not see killer whales in september (best season is april/ may) you have chance on other whales. We had 5 national parks, 4 regional parks and 2 boat trips.

All i can say: keep in mind that USA is big. Distances can be immense, but most of all: traffic can be bad and it will make a bad combi of distance and hours. So be smart and calculate some more like 'lazy' days.

Ano Nuevo SP is good for elephant seals normally, but I think they r gone by then. Try the sea otters in Moss Landing if you decide to do the boat trip in Monterey

Edited by Helsen

@Helsen  San Francisco is a weird city. So much homelessness and multimillion dollar homes with skid row looking areas around the block. Coming from NY (now in Denver) I found it jarring tbh

Glad to see you're taking in some of Utah. That state is underestimated. I've been to Moab and Zion National Parks. Breath taking.

Welcome to California. When in LA, check out Hollywood-the Star walk/Chinese theater and Hollywood sign...there's a way to get to a good tourist spot by a dog park.

Def take the PCH (101) from LA to San Fran if you want a partially scenic yet fast route (5 or 6 hours depending on your speed and traffic). If you can, take the Highway 1 at some point.

Try and go wine tasting in Napa or Sonoma! Kunde is great. ;)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ogeazy said:

Try to find one of those spots where a ton of sea lions and elephant walrus hang out. I've been to SF twice but don't really have any good info on it tbh. How are you getting to CA?

Brussels to Paris with TGV train and then direct flight from Paris to LA.

16 hours ago, Helsen said:

We did highway 1. which was great. I reckon you will take highway 395. If not: you should!

I heard highway 1 is worth to drive, better view but takes longer. Most likely will do a part form highway 1 :)

16 hours ago, Helsen said:

All i can say: keep in mind that USA is big. Distances can be immense, but most of all: traffic can be bad and it will make a bad combi of distance and hours. So be smart and calculate some more like 'lazy' days.

Traffic is bad only in the cities I hope. But hey in Brussels you drive 1:15 for 30 km in peak hours so cant be much worse right? :D 

11 hours ago, Neuro said:

Glad to see you're taking in some of Utah. That state is underestimated. I've been to Moab and Zion National Parks. Breath taking.

Have you done Angels Landing trail in Zion? Im a bit afraid of hights and the end part is a small path on a cliff 😛

Thx for feedback :)

5 hours ago, Olykiller said:

Have you done Angels Landing trail in Zion? Im a bit afraid of hights and the end part is a small path on a cliff 😛

I did Angels and Narrows. Both are awesome adventures. The last bit on Angels isn't too bad. I made it. :)