How to Add Omnibots to Your Home ET Server - Enemy Territory

PHANTASM

So, you've made your own ET server, and you would like to add some bots to make it more fun.

First, you need to download the Omnibot program. There are many versions of it, the most recent is called 0.80. Before that was 0.71, and before that was the very popular 0.66. They are maintained by a group led by a guy named Dr. Evil. Omnibots work on most games that run the Quake3 engine (the program under ET).

Read about it here:

http://www.wolfmap.de/comments.php?news_id=2368

or download it here: (older versions are available on this page too - I prefer the 0.71 myself)

http://www.omni-bot.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=29

Then unzip it and install it like any other program. The previous couple versions are just as good if this one does not work for you. Just google "omnibot ET" and snoop around. I have not used 0.80, I have only used 0.71.

Once you've installed omnibot, open ET as normal and go to "MODS"

2m4rrih.jpg

Then load "omnibot", and then back to the MAIN MENU, HOST GAME, START SERVER, etc etc.

[see my "How to make an ET server tuturial" at http://fearless-assassins.com/tutorials/article/79-how-to-make-your-own-et-server-at-home/

for more info.]

Not all maps support omnibots. They require extra work by the developers to write "waypoints" that tell the bots where to go. Poorly written waypoints are a common cause of complaints about bots getting stuck or standing in spawn not fighting. The original six ET maps will run your omnibots if you are unsure if you are doing it right.

Once you are in-game, use this command in your console to add an omnibot:

/bot addbot 1 1 douchebag

This will add one soldier to the Axis team, named "douchebag".

You can also create an omnibot config to do this automatically. Just copy the text below and paste it into a Notepad file, and save it as omnibot.cfg in your etmain folder. Then when you are on your own server, just type /exec omnibot.cfg in your console and it will run the script below:

//omnibot

bot maxbots 10

bot kickall

bot difficulty 4 //range is 0-5

bot addbot 1 1 ^1RAMMSTEIN //axis soldier

bot addbot 1 2 ^1MEGADETH //axis medic

bot addbot 1 3 ^1TOOL //axis engineer

bot addbot 1 4 ^1SLAYER //axis fops

bot addbot 1 5 ^1OZZY //axis covie

bot addbot 2 1 ^4FILTER //allied soldier

bot addbot 2 2 ^4METALLICA //allied medic

bot addbot 2 3 ^4PANTERA //allied engineer

bot addbot 2 4 ^4DISTURBED //allied fops

bot addbot 2 5 ^4GODSMACK //allied covie

set g_gravity 800 //default is 800

set g_speed 320 //default is 320

Notice there are two numbers after the command "addbot". The first number determines the team:

1 = Axis

2 = Allies

The second number determines what type of player class that bot will be:

1 = soldier

2 = medic

3 = eng

4 = field ops

5 = covert ops

The ^1 and ^4 in front of each name gives them a consistent color code.

^4 = blue = Allies

^1 = red = Axis.

You can use any name or colors you like. You can also change the types of bots by changing the second number. You may want more engineers on the Allied team, for example. Set them all to 3 to make them all engineers. This way they can get the objective.

If the game seems laggy, you can change maxbots to 6 and it will only add 6 bots instead of 10. You don't have to delete the bot names out of the script. Since you aren't online, you can also disconnect the internet and turn off unneeded programs to give your computer more power.

You can also add a bind to your autoexec.cfg file (if you have one) that will execute your omnibot.cfg file for you once you are in-game. Here is an example:

//insert omnibots

unbind O

bind O "exec omnibot.cfg; echo omnibot.cfg ran"

I added code to the script above for setting the omnibot difficulty, the gravity, and the game speed to add more fun options. Set them however you like. Double gamespeed (640) and half gravity (400) is a lot of fun.

Edited by Fearless Staff
  • Like 2

ok how can i install omnibot when theres nothing to instal in any folder ... ????

edit : ok nvm 0.8 dont work for me so i have to dl 0.71.

• Administrators

A little heads up.

For Jaymod you will need to use 0.6 omnis.

For Etpub .9.1 version you will need 0.8 omnis.

For NQ upto 1.2.7 = 0.8 and 1.2.9 beta and up .8 omnis.

Also, you can't install .8 omni's since it has no installation package. You will just need to run mod from command line and load omni's.

ok wtf i am doing wrong ... i did step by step like in ur tutorial and i get this !!!!

botsm.jpg

edit : ok ignore that i just figure it out :D

Edited by Baska

Baska what version of omni you are using and which mod?

like phantasm type - omnibot mod / et 2.60 ....and 0.71 but i just know what was wrong ... its working nao ... and this bots have super duper aimbots lol ....and its weird to play with no hit sound :D

I just tried the 0.8 and it doesn't work for me either. I never tried 0.80 before, as I said in the tutorial, kind of disappointed that it doesn't work as easily as 0.71.

I did not know that you needed 0.6 to run Jaymod, that would explain why I never could get it to work with Jaymod.

Omnibots can get complicated quickly.

the only tuto im waiting is still the one about vsays cuz i realy wana try it ... ^^ :P

anyways Phantasm u doing a great job ...

I think I'll try omnibots out one of the following days. Is there a way to set bots difficulty or they just have one level?

Use this in your console or script:

/bot difficulty 4

I put it in the script in the tutorial as well, if anyone copied it out I would recommend recopying it to get this additional command.

The difficulty range is 1 to 6.

1 is great for training a newbie (like a ten-year old kid for example). The bots will run around like normal but won't shoot effectively at all.

6 is the highest level, bots have instant reaction time and never miss.

4 or 5 are good settings for experienced ET players.

I also added some code for altering gravity and game speed, to make it more fun.

I edited it again to fix the difficulty level. It is not 1-6 as I had written yesterday. It is actually 0-5, and then there is an even higher level called "uber" where the bots are ridiculously unbeatable.

i used to play with bots...

but how bask said, its a lil weird play without hitsounds..

i tried to found how put it, dont got any answer in any site about...

someone know how to put Hitsounds on in a local server?(aka own computer lol)

i used to play with bots...

but how bask said, its a lil weird play without hitsounds..

i tried to found how put it, dont got any answer in any site about...

someone know how to put Hitsounds on in a local server?(aka own computer lol)

You will have to install Jaymod to get hitsounds. Google "ET Jaymod download" and have fun.

cool, i found 2.1.7 beta version...

is it any good ?or should i get 2.0.6 version?

thanks for your fast answer!

cool, i found 2.1.7 beta version...

is it any good ?or should i get 2.0.6 version?

thanks for your fast answer!

First, my caveat: I'm not an expert on Jaymod servers.

F|A uses the 2.1.7 version. It has been out since ~2007. Don't know why they still call it a beta. Jaymod is no longer in development, the guy in charge of it ("Jaybird") has long since announced that he is done with it. However he never released the code to the public. There are lots of exploits and bugs in it as with any software, but especially one that has not been updated for three years.

I think you need an older version of omnibot to be compatible with jaymod. I think it needs 0.6 but you might be able to run it with 0.66. I know when I try 0.71 I get lots of errors, stuff like "can't find axis soldier uniform" and I haven't delved deeply into it.

Perhaps more knowledgeable people can fill in the gaps here.