F|A's custom jaymod extension seems to crash my game

Quovadis

Since a good while, my game crash very often when I do a vid_restart.

This is really problematic since I use it in my cfg.

Also, an error message sometimes popup when connecting jay server; "bad ui" with some numbers.

Sadly, I didn't get a screenshot but will try to get one next time.

Here is the crash log from event viewer:

Faulting application name: quake3.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x445f5790
Faulting module name: my_cgame_mp_x86.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4db590cb
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000090e1
Faulting process id: 0x2c98
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0ec211664ae8e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\quake3.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\jaymod\my_cgame_mp_x86.dll
Report Id: 417db568-711b-4d8f-9196-63fe3421c65a
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I just did a clean install from the package on splash damage.

Any ideas?

Edit: Running windows 10
AMD catalyst version 15.20
Edited by Quovadis

Visual studio debugger reports to me this exception:

Unhandled exception at 0x29DF90E1 (my_cgame_mp_x86.dll) in quake3.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

• Administrators

We will look into it. It wasn't tested on Windows 10 since it wasn't released back then. I will PM you if I need any more info. Can you try jay3 to make sure it doesn't happen on that one? I think I need to update jay2 client since it's pretty old and jay3 has new one. 

Been busy since last 3 weeks ... Drop me an email ASAP once you confirm all works fine on jay3. Thanks

• Clan Friend

Visual studio debugger reports to me this exception:

Unhandled exception at 0x29DF90E1 (my_cgame_mp_x86.dll) in quake3.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

If an exception happens in a module, the problem is not necessarily in that module, it could be another module calling some function in there, but due to some bug elsewhere a pointer in a data structure is 0, and it crashes once that pointer is being accessed, or similar stuff.

I get crashes on vid_restart occasionally on Linux as well, but I never associated this to a particular server or mod, maybe it's a driver issue because in the past it didn't happen.

Does it happen *every* time you /vid_restart? On any mod? What happens if you load et (etmain mod, so no custom mods in there) and then you do /devmap goldrush, and once you are in goldrush you /vid_restart ?

(edit: or try one of FA etpro servers, instead of a Jaymod one, but please do that etmain test as well)

Edited by SunLight
  • Like 1

We will look into it. It wasn't tested on Windows 10 since it wasn't released back then. I will PM you if I need any more info. Can you try jay3 to make sure it doesn't happen on that one? I think I need to update jay2 client since it's pretty old and jay3 has new one. 

Been busy since last 3 weeks ... Drop me an email ASAP once you confirm all works fine on jay3. Thanks

Will test on jay3 ASAP.

If an exception happens in a module, the problem is not necessarily in that module, it could be another module calling some function in there, but due to some bug elsewhere a pointer in a data structure is 0, and it crashes once that pointer is being accessed, or similar stuff.

I get crashes on vid_restart occasionally on Linux as well, but I never associated this to a particular server or mod, maybe it's a driver issue because in the past it didn't happen.

Does it happen *every* time you /vid_restart? On any mod? What happens if you load et (etmain mod, so no custom mods in there) and then you do /devmap goldrush, and once you are in goldrush you /vid_restart ?

(edit: or try one of FA etpro servers, instead of a Jaymod one, but please do that etmain test as well)

It happens at most /vid_restart but seems to be only when I am connected to server.

I will try your test and try to pinpoint the exact case that crashes the game.

Thanks guys!

Ok here are the steps I took:

1. I opened my game as admin

2. /devmap goldrush

3. Did a few /exec quovadis which contains a /vid_restart at the end ( http://fearless-assassins.com/files/file/963-quovadis-cfg/ )and I didnt get any problems

4. I joined jay3 and did an /exec quovadis then my game crashed.

5. Reopened my game as admin

6. Joined SW1 and did a few /exec quovadis, worked perfectly

The game also crashes without executing my cfg and jut doing /vid_restart but maybe its related to a rendering mode im using in my cfg or something..

PS: I cannot play on SW1 if my game executable is not called "ET.exe".

If it's called quake3.exe, my fps locks at 30 at never goes above that.

Edit:

Silent#1 works perfectly.

The crash never happens when joining the jay server and loading the map for the first time.

It only happens in the loading after the /vid_restart I execute once in the server and only crashes at the end of the loading.

Edited by Quovadis
  • Like 2

I was on Jay3 when you came on. All seemed fine with the default config, but you timed out when you loaded your custom config it would seem.

To test, I've done a few vid_restarts and switched configs, and minimized/maximized ET... all just fine. Running Win 10 Pro x64 and the latest AMD Catalyst drivers for the R7 200 line, so it would seem that your issue is config related.

The FPS cap you're talking about when you rename ET to quake3.exe is because of a XML file (C:\windows\atiogl.xml) that holds values for OpenGL extensions afaik.

• Like 2

• Clan Friend

Joined SW1 and did a few /exec quovadis, worked perfectly

just to avoid any misunderstandings, SW1 is etpro right?

so etmain silent, and etpro give no problem (even though /devmap is not really like running etded then joining that server, it's still a valid test)

Does it crash on map switch? Let's say you open ET then from the main screen you do mods->jaymod, then you exec your config, what happens? If it doesnt crash, are you able to join jay3? can you play 2 maps in a row?

I don't know, maybe there is some cvar in your jaymod etconfig.cfg that triggers this (a cvar not in your custom config, so it doesn't get overwritten), or it's due to the server differences (more players, bigger maps and more stuff to draw). You crash on Jay3 every single time you vid_restart. right?

Have you tried to watch a jaymod demo (if you have any) and doing /vid_restart during the demo? Or trying /devmap after loading Jaymod in the main screen (but I can't test it right now, I don't remember if for some mods you need to start a real server, maybe you miss the jaymod qagame in your folder so you can't start a server even with /devmap so forget this, try loading a demo)

p.s.

it's OT because we are here to fix the problem, not to avoid it, but why do you need a vid_restart in your config, I wonder? Do you load it only after ET is already started, or it's an alternative config?

• Like 2

The FPS cap you're talking about when you rename ET to quake3.exe is because of a XML file (C:\windows\atiogl.xml) that holds values for OpenGL extensions afaik.

Altough its weird I only get this problem in ETPro :P

just to avoid any misunderstandings, SW1 is etpro right?

so etmain silent, and etpro give no problem (even though /devmap is not really like running etded then joining that server, it's still a valid test)

Does it crash on map switch? Let's say you open ET then from the main screen you do mods->jaymod, then you exec your config, what happens? If it doesnt crash, are you able to join jay3? can you play 2 maps in a row?

I don't know, maybe there is some cvar in your jaymod etconfig.cfg that triggers this (a cvar not in your custom config, so it doesn't get overwritten), or it's due to the server differences (more players, bigger maps and more stuff to draw). You crash on Jay3 every single time you vid_restart. right?

Have you tried to watch a jaymod demo (if you have any) and doing /vid_restart during the demo? Or trying /devmap after loading Jaymod in the main screen (but I can't test it right now, I don't remember if for some mods you need to start a real server, maybe you miss the jaymod qagame in your folder so you can't start a server even with /devmap so forget this, try loading a demo)

p.s.

it's OT because we are here to fix the problem, not to avoid it, but why do you need a vid_restart in your config, I wonder? Do you load it only after ET is already started, or it's an alternative config?

Yes SW1 beign etpro.

I did some more testing and I was wrong when I though /vid_restart caused the problem.

If I open the game and go straight on jay servers and do /vid_restart, I don't have any problems.

If I open the game, switch jaymod, exec my cfg then join jay server, I also don't have any problems (and I can /exec it again once of the server ) :/

I'm not 100% sure as I don't have enough time to test atm but im pretty sure it doesn't crash on map changes.

Oh and the reason for the vid_restart was because I was settign r_displayrefresh to 144 and didn't bother putting it in default cfg / didnt want to setup launch options.

• Like 1