Finished my comp

OnionKnight

Ya its completely done. Lol boo to the cable management, its a nightmare in there but I am not going to bother (I already tied what i can with zipties). Everything put in there was a tight squeeze from the video cards to the hard drives, they all barely fit (its a facking $17 dollar case). Luckily my temps are cool and steady (thanks to all the fans). Everything was cheap so don't expect it to look fancy.

The total cost at the end of the day was: $863.09 Canadian (been building this thing since Feb trying to find the right deals on things. The video cards are almost 50% of the entire cost lawl).

Logisys Case - $17

500 gb Seagate 7200 rpm SATA2 HD - $49.99

Antec Earthwatts 650W Power Supply -$59.99

Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE 24X Black DVD Writer - $19.99

Patriot Sector 5 4GB DDR3 -1333 CL 7-7-7-20 Dual Channel (2GB X 2) - $119.99

AMD Athlon II X4 620 - $108.99

MSI 790X-G45 ATX AM3 DDR3 CROSSFIRE - $89.99

XFX Radeon HD 5770 1 GB - $174.99

GIGABYTE HD 5770 1 GB - $154.99

Silenx iXtrema Pro Direct Touch Heatsink - $15.99

Fans, Speed Controller, 5.25" 120 mm Fan Bay Adapter and Misc lights: $51.18

Before:

dscf0956y.jpg

Lol nice red cathodes in case

dscf0953s.jpg

Stock heat sink

After:

dscf1046d.jpg

Added some extra fans in the top (i drilled a small slot for a little roof fan. Just having a single small roof fan makes a ton of difference for circulation) and side. Everything is in a tight squeeze lol.

dscf1043g.jpg

2nd Video card costed me $154.99. Crossfired XFX HD 5770 1GB with GIGABYTE HD 5770 1 GB. Works out fine. Failed spreading the thermal paste but whatever got the job done. I always sucked with spreading thermal paste anyways (Nortuna NT-H1 Pro grade thermal compound). Heatsink was some cheap silenx brand for $15.99. Beats stock cooler at least lol

dscf1051u.jpg

Removed cathodes because the space was so tight, I could barely fit the 2nd video card in

• Like 2

coold you run 3d mark 06 with 1 and with 2 cards so you know how they scale ? or do you know the actual improvement already cos wihout oc the 620 the improvement woold not be high but with oc it shoold be great diffrence i was told by a builder next door .

coold you run 3d mark 06 with 1 and with 2 cards so you know how they scale ? or do you know the actual improvement already cos wihout oc the 620 the improvement woold not be high but with oc it shoold be great diffrence i was told by a builder next door .

I didn't use 3dmark 06 but instead I used 3dmark vantage which is the newer version of the software.

The 620 quad core doesn't make that big of a difference in 3dmark Vantage. After OCing it I only saw like a 0-4 fps increase (depending on the scene) during the mark tests. The CPU doesn't really effect the GPU score anyways.

GPU scores:

1 card scales at 9260

2 cards scales at 14800

Also my cards are not overclocked. I'll probably do it in the future.