Jailbreak iPhone

Kronos

Ok so I'm thinking about getting myself an iPhone, and I am leaning towards jailbreaking it, but I don't know much about it and I'm wondering if anyone here can answer some of my questions. I looked around on google a bit for pros and cons and came across a few things.

It looked like there was some discussions of the newest release being un jailbreakable and you can't downgrade, just wondering if this is true.

Someone said something about some jailbreaks being "tethered" or something like that, to the effect that if you turn off iphone or the battery dies then the jailbreak is removed and you have to redo it.

Do you have to re jailbreak it every time new software is released?

Does it matter between 3g and 3gs? Like kind of the first questions, is one version less stable jailbroken, or unjailbreakable?

Jailbreaking voids warranty, but if you restore to factory settings can they figure out that you jailbroke it if you need it repaired or anything?

Also if you have any opinions or facts about it, pros and cons of jailbreaking and a few of the stuff you can do.

Another thing, is buying a refurbished iphone worth it?

I watched last night video of some features coming this June with new firmware OS 4.0 and to be honest they made a great new stuff personally I always jailbreaked my iPhone but since 4 months I stopped doing it cuz with official apps around, and damn they are so many (too much... most of time not even used), well jailbreak became useless for me, especially that I jailbreak only to customize my iPhone with wallpapers thing that will be available with next release this june ^^

the new update make it obvious that new iPhone v4 coming for sure this summer, so better wait and see... 3 months to go

anyway here is a video review for last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d_dTX0o5o4&fm=22

Sometime the jailbreak is removed, b/c its tethered. My brother has that problem, every time he shuts down or his battery dies, he has to rejailbreak it. But, i haven't had that problem yet. I've jailbroken 3-5 times so far, and never had any problems with it :-P.

But yea, like the others said, just wait for the 4g and then see what options there are for jailbreaking, if any. lol. If you do get the 3GS and it has firmware 3.1.3, there is no jailbreak for it, as far as i know. If it has 3.1.2 or below, then you can find jailbreaks.

My personal favorite is blackra1n. It'll run on either windows or mac and it jailbreaks your iphone (3.1.2 or lower) in less then a minute. lol. Here is a URL, it'll explain how to jailbreak, what to download, and it has some other useful info. :)

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-iphone-3.1.2-firmware-with-blackra1n-zni327/

Edited by AJ_nl

Jailbrake is only usefull if you wanne use it for navigation without spending money or when you wanne use tethering (use with computer as a modem ) tethering is possible with older i phones without jailbraking it .

there are many free apps and finally you will notice its not neccecairy to jb the i phone to love it and use it . it works great with limewire for music and its not just a phone its a pocket pc :) we even have x fire on it .

if you wanne buy a new one wait for new one cos it will be able to multitask,

that means if i use x fire now and i go into safari (watch profile ) the x fire shuts off and disconnect on new one you can let moore apps run at same time .

Jailbrake is only usefull if you wanne use it for navigation without spending money or when you wanne use tethering (use with computer as a modem ) tethering is possible with older i phones without jailbraking it .

there are many free apps and finally you will notice its not neccecairy to jb the i phone to love it and use it . it works great with limewire for music and its not just a phone its a pocket pc :) we even have x fire on it .

if you wanne buy a new one wait for new one cos it will be able to multitask,

that means if i use x fire now and i go into safari (watch profile ) the x fire shuts off and disconnect on new one you can let moore apps run at same time .

Yea the 4g is gonna be amazing :)

I got an iPhone 3g S, 3.1.3, and I can NOT jailbreak my iPhone :( , if Im wrong plzzzz tell me, and no my iPhone has never ever been jailbreaken.

if it was jailbroken before that version, you could have jailbroken it.

but nope, not anymore

Ty, Desu.

But is there any chance that I can jailbreak it, if they make new jailbreak versions or something ?

its going to take few month to be release, 3.1.3 is apparently harder to jailbreak.

plus this master at jailbreaking quit doing it so.....yeah

but jailbreakers will turn to the new 3gs or 4g probably...

so it may not come out either

• Like 1

That would kinda suck tbh, cuz when I had my iPod, and I jailbreaked it, then when I shut it down, it could re-start correctly anymore.

But I hope they will make a jailbreak for 3GS, cuz then Im a little closer to 4G :P

I watched last night video of some features coming this June with new firmware OS 4.0 and to be honest they made a great new stuff personally I always jailbreaked my iPhone but since 4 months I stopped doing it cuz with official apps around, and damn they are so many (too much... most of time not even used), well jailbreak became useless for me, especially that I jailbreak only to customize my iPhone with wallpapers thing that will be available with next release this june ^^

the new update make it obvious that new iPhone v4 coming for sure this summer, so better wait and see... 3 months to go

anyway here is a video review for last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d_dTX0o5o4&fm=22

Totally agree on that, been doing the same.

If anyone is interested in Apple's small keynote from yesterday including a little preview of some of the new features in iPhone OS 4, the stream is online at:

http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/apr/1004fk8d5gt/1004767kjhgoiashdbnv_0650_ref.mov