Ireland passes emergency drug law to close legal loophole

Eggtato

Ireland made stuff like ketamine crystal meth and other illegal drugs in most countries legal in Ireland on Tuesday 10th march and were legal until Wednesday 11th march... So the Irish people had fun with the drugs for 48 hours...

The fact that the drugs were made legal meant that anyone in possession of these drugs could not be arrested...

Makes an interesting read: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31833070

Well played Ireland well played.

• Like 1

Plus ex post facto applies in Ireland, so in the interim between the repealing of the law and the passing of the new law, you could openly sell crystal meth.

Hell, you could have done it in the middle of the busiest street in Dublin and the police couldn't have done anything.

Plus ex post facto applies in Ireland, so in the interim between the repealing of the law and the passing of the new law, you could openly sell crystal meth.

Hell, you could have done it in the middle of the busiest street in Dublin and the police couldn't have done anything.

Maybe the government were high when making this decision :P

• Like 1

I did some digging and two interesting things popped up.

1) Ireland was in the midst of the troubles when the aforementioned laws were passed (drug misuse act of 1977). This is mostly speculation, but it's possible that national attention was elsewhere when the bill was passed and the legislators were too concerned with the civil unrest to give the constitutionality of the bill the scrutiny it required.

2) Lawmakers were paying attention to this case well before the ruling was made. 

"We prepared for this possibility. Legislation was prepared and approved in advance by Cabinet," Minister for Health Leo Varadkar said in a written statement. "The emergency legislation ... will re-instate the status quo ante and re-control all drugs that were controlled prior to this judgment." 

Ireland closes legal drugs loophole - CNN.com

I would imagine there wasn't enough time for anything interesting to happen, which is a shame. Would be kind of neat to see a major drug dealer let off due to a constitutional loophole.

• Like 1

Just one more reason I want to go to Ireland...all these loopholes, and all the girls with Irish accents...<3

Damn straight. Call me old-fashioned, but nothing's quite as sexy as a woman who enjoys her meth.

• Like 1

Damn straight. Call me old-fashioned, but nothing's quite as sexy as a woman who enjoys her meth.

This. That alluring crystal-clear skin, alert and the deep soul-consuming eyes... The meth addicts who have children, obby. Talk about classy.

And don't forget about those beautiful pearly white teeth!

...Not.

• Like 1

I only can find a other word but that isn't allowed and it aint old fashioned :P no some weed fine causes less harm then alcohol but all these things go way to far for me.