Need help with Windows 7 Update error....

Ol Smoke

Everything was working fine with Update until I installed Firefox.  Now when I try to run update I get this error. (See attachment)

I went to the Windows help and everyplace on the net that had anything to do with this error.  All I can find out is that the Windows

server needs something called WSUS to be running in my internet explorer routines.  I have looked everywhere I know of to do

what they say, but the Windows version they talk about is different than mine.  They are talking about a network setup, not Win7 Home Premium

on a home network.

I tried to install Win7 HP onto a new clean HDD the other day, all went well until I needed to do the updates.  Then I got this error.  Now on the

old installation that I was running fine on, update worked.  Until today.  Now I get the same error on it.

Do we have anyone on here that can help me try to solve this well know error that Microsoft seems to not want to do anything about.

I am getting so fricking tired of these Windows 7 problems.

I've never had issues like this in 7, but I had them left and right in Vista. And the boot loops from "Rolling back updates"... ugh.

Anyways, what I would do to try things out is to install some of the updates using their standalone installer. For example, if you are not yet running SP1, download the five language rollup from Microsoft's website and install that.

Now this error message seems to just be a generic one... but here's what I have aggregated together

PS: WSUS stands for Windows Server Update... Service I believe and it's for pushing update across domains with 100's of PCs. TL;DR: WSUS has nothing to do with Win7.

• Like 2

Yeah, you'd only have WSUS in an enterprise setting, not at home. I found these which might help:

1. Go to Administrative Tools/Services and find the Windows Update service. Stop it.
2. Go to C:\Windows\ and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to something like SoftwareDistribution.old
3. Restart the Windows Update service.
4. Click the Check for Updates button on the Windows Update screen.
5. Windows will perform the check - it may take some time, so leave it running. Eventually it will successfully complete.
6. You can then delete the SoftwareSistribution.old folder.

• Like 4

If anyone reads this you will learn something about installing Windows 7 Home Premium 32.

Don't select the home network installation.  A lot of the network stuff doesnt get installed.  Which is why I have been

having trouble with this OS.  You have to select the Work Network installation.  I got everything working very smoothly

now and my IE9 actually works with this website.  I got my "Pin to Taskbar" and I can Copy and Paste to our forums now.

In the three previous installations, I could never get IE 9 as an update.  Only IE11.  So what I did was hide the selection for

IE 11 and close updates.  A few minutes later when I went back to see if there were more updates,  there was IE 9 and IE 10.

IE 9 is the one that works best for me because of PIN and C&P.

Afterwards,  I looked over the internet for this "Work" setup and found nothing about how it effects the network setup.  My speed

is back it seems like I am finally going to get a working WIN7 finally.

Edited by Ol' Smoke
  • Like 2

• Leader

Thank you Very Much for posting your fix.  It may help someone in the future who does not have your computer experience level!   :)  Some people "get their fix" and don't post it here.

I am laughing to myself at the thought that, to have your level of experience, you have had to deal with a lot of this kind of crap!    :censored

• Like 1

Here is another thing I found about Windows Update for Win7.

After building this PC back up and getting the Windows software installed, I kept watching the re-boots it did.

The connection Icon for the internet hookup was taking about 3 to 4 seconds to show that it was connected to the internet.

Then there was 22 updates for Win7 that needed to be installed as "Important" updates.  I did that.  Then the system needed

rebooting.  I was watching the Icon again and it turned blue, and stayed that way for 45 seconds before it showed that the

internet was accessed.  So now I am in the process of finding out which one of those updates made this change, and why it

had to make that change.

Anyone else notice this update change?  If so, do you know which update did this?