Any archers out there?

Pannic

My Fiancee and i have been talking about buying a bow just for fun.

Any archers out there that know of a good, $150 or less, bow to shoot around with? 

My friends all shoot and what I know from them,  go to a really good local guy and get set up.

There are so many choices and there are so many options for those choices.

You will need adjustments from time to time, and repairs, so by making friends with a local shop owner,

you will get good info on shooting correctly.

[meme goes here]

• Like 1

Depends on what you want to do...target, competition, hunting, mixture of some.  I donated my re-curve to a Bass Pro Shop and it is hanging in their store a hundred miles from here.  I kind of hate that since I now want to go back to shooting a re-curve.  Anyway I've shot archery since 1982 and for the first five or six years shot competition (3D) tournaments around the southeast.  I haven't shot competition since then, but I still hunt with a compound bow.  The price of a good hunting compound bow and it fully rigged out can be over a thousand bucks.  Too high in my opinion, but marketing and sales drives the prices up all the time.  My current bow I won in a silent auction for $350.00 and it cost me about $400.00 to fully set it up.  This included a dozen arrows with both field tips and broad heads, sights, stablizer, and more. 

Anyway a good starter bow can be purchased for a lot less and if you are looking at just shooting for fun a good re-curve would be the way to go in my opinion.  However, as stated above look for a local archery shop that can set you up so they can fit you with a bow that matches your draw length and proper poundage.

First year I shot my Fred Bear re-curve, found out couldn't use standard market arrows 32 in. had to use custom longer length arrow to get the true strength of my adrenaline shot, stopped by my buddies bait shop figured i'm pulling 46.5 lbs.  I wouldn't give up my bow for nothing, I even use it to fish with, shooting a thirty pound king is a riot. Just hang on the fight is fun.

Edited by AgeOldOrganics

I shot a Bear 65# for about 2 years when I was in High School with a small group.

I got tired of doing weight pulls, just to shoot that thing.

My son and grandson bow hunt with compound bows and I really liked that.  The accuracy is amazing.

But I can tell you this much for sure.  Don't go to walmart or someplace and buy some off the wall POS.

You will end up buying 2 more because they don't fit and they don't pull correctly.

• Like 1

I shot a Bear 65# for about 2 years when I was in High School with a small group.

I got tired of doing weight pulls, just to shoot that thing.

My son and grandson bow hunt with compound bows and I really liked that.  The accuracy is amazing.

But I can tell you this much for sure.  Don't go to walmart or someplace and buy some off the wall POS.

You will end up buying 2 more because they don't fit and they don't pull correctly.

yea i figured walmart wouldnt have anything worth anything lol

If you report back that you got a recurve bow, then I will picture you like this:

mongol_archer-480x310.jpg

What are you saying?  That Tabor will be running away from people shooting arrows at him? 

No people will be running away from me while I shoot arrows at them!!!! O_o lol

It's all about the hat

I don't wear hats....just a duck on my head lol

• Like 1