PC issues

L3ftY.

i can't get past a major pc problem i'm having, and ive tried searching different forums for solutions.

it's an older system but has always been cleaned, defragged, scanned for viruses regularly, clearing cookies, etc. and has AVG anti-virus. never had an issue, until last week. i haven't dl'd anything or visited shit websites or received emails with attachments from unknown sources. it's my home pc and also use it for business so i'm careful what is installed.

the issue is while booting in normal mode the screen intermittently flashes at different times and takes 5-10 minutes to even get past the windows 'Welcome' screen. It can take up to 30 minutes to completely load everything. i even i disabled all startup programs and stopped unrequired services with same result. while loading, if you even try to open any program or even see what processes are running, it takes even longer, if they open at all and the screen is still flashing the entire time. to close anything and even reboot, i have to unplug the power. it almost seems as though something is heavily running in the background while loading because it takes so long, but all is disabled including antivirus.

i have scanned with other AV's - Malwarebytes, Dr.Web/Curit, Avira, and even tried tweaking.com. and yes, i disabled each one prior to installing a new antivirus and scanning. they picked up and quarantined a couple of things but nothing major. i have also tried an earlier restore point and updated my graphics driver. i dusted out the inside of the case, re-seated the graphics card and memory, cleaned all the slots, all with the same end result.

in safe mode with or without networking everything is ok but of course it's limited in functions, meaning gaming is out of the question until i get this resolved.

without getting into specific hardware and software details, i'm thinking it's now possibly a hardware issue but not sure.

other than now looking at a new desktop pc, is there anything im missing or can try?

any advice is more than welcomed as im thinking this pc might be better off as an anchor.

thanks platoon, mine is very similar to that, except the flashing. my screen goes blank for 1-5 seconds at a time, and it seems to do it as each program tried to load. 

the possibility of a corrupted registry is interesting though. haven't tried that yet.

• Like 1

I had the same prob of loading time but without the flashing thingy.. This was related to my HDD. S.M.A.R.T. was taking ages to check this latter, the boot time was endless, and the loading time of some progs or functions very slow. Just in case, check through some benchmarking tools if it's related to hardware for some components (hdd, gpu, ram,..).

this one for example gives detailed infos of the whole PC and is free of charge: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

• Like 1

Try this and see what happens.

Remove all traces of the drivers for your video card.  Let windows use the basic driver.

Then fire it up and see what happens.  If nothing happens and the image is clear, then it

is probably the video card having problems doing what the driver wants it to do.

Only fix I ever found for this was to get a new video card.

One problem I had recently was an older video card that ran fine in Windows XP, but would not run much at all

in Windows 7.  Even though the maker had supplied Win7 hardware updates and a driver.  It just didn't like Win7.

One other thing that can cause this is an updated driver for your vidcard.  I fixed a similar problem last year for a guy.

After he updated his drivers, the card screwed up.  So I removed all the drivers from Windows for his card and then

installed an older driver.  It worked fine.

• Like 1

thanks guys, much appreciated. will certainly look into all the advice and try everything mentioned above.

that graphics card suggestion sounds possible. as the main screen tries to load, the toolbar at the bottom partial loads and looks broken. the icons on my desktop partially take shape if at all. it's a GeForce card but only 2 years old so who knows.

i have an external 2 TB drive that i've started throwing some files into instead of waiting for a miracle. just in case things get uglier.

danke gracias merci thanks

• Like 3

well, smoke. seems it was a graphics card issue. everything loaded fine, just some minor tweaks. uninstalled it and will have to get another.

in the meantime, i tried loading ET to see what would happen and got this -

WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available
...shutting down QGL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

this because there is no graphics card installed i'm assuming (?)

i'll search around for an answer..

well, smoke. seems it was a graphics card issue. everything loaded fine, just some minor tweaks. uninstalled it and will have to get another.

in the meantime, i tried loading ET to see what would happen and got this -

WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available
...shutting down QGL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

this because there is no graphics card installed i'm assuming (?)

i'll search around for an answer..

This error can be caused by graphic card drivers. Did you install an older version?