Looking for a new hard drive

ajnl

My hard drive broke (link). Tomorrow I'm going to the store to find a new one, any tips on what to look for in a good hard drive?

I have about 100 euros I can spend on one, just looking for a 1TB. Any tips or suggestions on which hard drive to go for?

Apparently WD and Seagate are pretty decent brands. The last laptop we had, we replaced the hardrive with a seagate 1TB and it lasted well over a year. Western Digital makes a couple decent hard drives, and are usually cheaper to run. Otherwise picking out a hard drive pretty much depends on your needs. 

Edited by SiD

Apparently WD and Seagate are pretty decent brands. The last laptop we had, we replaced the hardrive with a seagate 1TB and it lasted well over a year. Western Digital makes a couple decent hard drives, and are usually cheaper to run. Otherwise picking out a hard drive pretty much depends on your needs.

I'm looking at this one: link.

Well all of my programs, and games are going to be installed on it. No important data or operating system stuff.

==========

What about a SSHD?

Edited by ajnl

I have 3 WD Black and Green hard drives between 1TD and 3TD and one 2TD seagate. Really good drives.  One for OS one for Gaming and one for Back-up.

I personally prefer Seagate. Have never had a Seagate drive fail on me. Have had my current one for two years, 1TB, and had prior 128GB one that I had for 4 years, and is still running, but don't use anymore.

When I had my PC business, I bought only WD.  I bought somewhere around 6500 of them.  Over a period of 6 years, I had two failures during warranty period.

I have two of them still running after 10 years.

• Like 1

I think the pic shows this certain product "Hitachi 3TB Deskstar 7K3000 (HDS723030ALA640)" results: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2089464/three-year-27-000-drive-study-reveals-the-most-reliable-hard-drive-makers.html

Other Hitachi and Toshibas are like they are in my understaning.

Also try to not take any older WD-s from times there were still floods in Thailand. Newer ones should be ok: Black or Blue ones for performance.

When I had my PC business, I bought only WD.  I bought somewhere around 6500 of them.  Over a period of 6 years, I had two failures during warranty period.

I have two of them still running after 10 years.

WD just makes good hard drives.  That is why I buy them.