Figure this out for me....

Ol Smoke

A|---------------|B, if you twist the A to the B you get a circle, and to move from point A to point B in time T one has to move in linear speed V. RPM being constant means one turn from A to B being made in certain time: 33 turns per minute-> 1 turn with 1\33 minute.

As to the outer side of the disk the distance from A to B=s grows, but time is the same, from v=s\T one can see that the greater the s=AB, the greater the v has to be. Thats why there is separeted angular speed f\t(rpm) and linear speed for a point on the disk with distance A to B.

Now you can imagine that the needle is staying put and the bumps on A to B are passing by under the needle. As in outer side of the disk the linear velocity is greater, the bumps are passing by faster and vice versa. So you´d have to adjust the recording speed on the disk accordingly so it didn´t play the track on different speeds on different locations.

As to why its so. I came up with this explanation. Imagine a axe standing on ground perpendicular to the ground(90 degrees). Now if one would attach longer "stick" to the axe the potential energy grows: Ep= mgh, m being mass, g acceleration from gravity, h height from earth. As m and g being constant(in 3 dimensional Eukleidian room on sub light speeds;)) on earth and the potential energy has to go from max to 0(at the point axe lands earth when falling down) the kinetic energy has to be greater the greater the h or r(=s\f) in the case of angular movement. Ek= (mvˇ2)\2 and  while m being constant and Ek growing the v, as linear speed, has to grow. In the process axe draws a trajectory quarter of circle by falling down .

The law of conservation of energy grants that Ep transforms to Ek, which holds grounds for 60-70y now? And thats in classical mechanics, there was a post about it earlier in forums.

Sorry for the long post but had to sharpen my pencil as it has been too long from it and it seemed some didn´t quite get it... So hope it helped a bit.

An ax, but you did a good job. ;)

Circumference = Pi times twice the radius of a circle.

That's 10th grade Geometry.

Don't even get me started about assymetrical torque converters...

The speed at the turntable stylus needle is faster near the outside of the record disk.

But it doesn't matter that the speed is slower near the center, Because while recording,

The same size disc was used.  It was recorded into the groove and playback will

duplicate the recording.  The sound vibrations are spread out more at the beginning.

And closer together near the end.

• Like 3

• Leader

Circumference = Pi times twice the radius of a circle.

That's 10th grade Geometry.

Don't even get me started about assymetrical torque converters...

The speed at the turntable stylus needle is faster near the outside of the record disk.

But it doesn't matter that the speed is slower near the center, Because while recording,

The same size disc was used.  It was recorded into the groove and playback will

duplicate the recording.  The sound vibrations are spread out more at the beginning.

And closer together near the end.

Much better said than my post. :)

As for "assymetrical torque converters", here is an imapge for a patent for one, from http://www.faqs.org/patents/imgfull/20110289909_01  dated 2011.

20110289909_01.png:eek

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...