3-D printed organs... Soon ?

.KeLFOuTO!r.

• 3 weeks later...

My friend is a med student at Mizzou and he was telling me about this a few months ago. They got to do a 3D print out of their brain to see how wrinkly or not it was! LOL It was about half sized, but it was awesome. We were discussing the applications of them trying to make functioning organ parts. This is crazy cool.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

They already used 3d printed to print a heart. Not as a replacement, but to be used for practice. Basically they scanned a babies heart in, 3d printed it, and practiced their surgery on the 3d printed heart. They were then able to operator on the baby and fix everything in one surgery.

Click here

I'm looking into building my own 3d printer. Does anyone here have any experience in building them. Currently I work with a 3d printer at my work, but it is only used for rapid prototypeing. Its a Leapfrog Creatr Dual.

Edited by ajnl
  • Like 2

• Leader

I googled "build your own 3d printer" and one site says you can assemble kits from as little as $200.  The lowest one on their link was $349, though.  They also said the assembled ones are as low as $1000.

What we need is a 3D scanner that will produce the code-file for the plans to build a copy of an object we want to duplicate.  :)

I googled "build your own 3d printer" and one site says you can assemble kits from as little as $200.  The lowest one on their link was $349, though.  They also said the assembled ones are as low as $1000.

What we need is a 3D scanner that will produce the code-file for the plans to build a copy of an object we want to duplicate.   :)

There are two ways you can create the STL file (the computer model for the 3d printer). Like you said, you can use a 3d scanner, or you can create the object using a CAD program. Personally I used catia, it is very easy to make something and just "save as" an stl file.

You can build a laser line scanner (one type of 3d scanner) also, my internship was about 3d scanners.

• 8 months later...

Its impossible at the moment, because the accuracy of the printer is to low, Its by 2mm atm.

For printing an organ it would need a accuarcy of 0.004mm to have a good structure.

Its good to think about It.

It also would have other problems even it would be possible, people who want to have power just print people who support them.

So thats what I think about. We first should look how we could live somewhere else or how to not waste so much earth goods.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Breakthrough in 3D-printing? MIT unveils device molding 10 materials at once

55e3784fc46188377c8b4609.jpg

A group of MIT scientists says they have developed the world’s first 3D-printer capable of making ready-to-use objects from 10 different materials at once. The new device, supplied with powerful software, boasts nearly human-free operation.

A research team from MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab (CSAIL) has devised what they call a better, cheaper and more user-friendly 3D-printer – MultiFab. The name is due to the unusually high number of materials that it can simultaneously utilize in the manufacturing process – other existing multi-printers are limited to only three at once.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...