NASCAR driver Tony Stewart fatally strikes fellow driver at dirt track event

Chameleon

Tony Stewart, one of the most popular and successful drivers in NASCAR, fatally struck a fellow driver late Saturday at a dirt track race in upstate New York the night before he was due to race in a NASCAR Sprint Cup event. 

Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero would not confirm the driver's identity pending notification of next of kin, though witnesses identified the driver to media outlets as Kevin Ward Jr. 

Tony-Stewart.jpg

Edited by GI-JOE
Removed video of his death

Surprised it doesn't happen more often. Grew up in dirt track racing. Never get out of your car unless it is on fire. And even then.... head for the barriers.

While I never drove a winged sprint, I know they are hard to see out of and you steer a lot using the gas pedal on any dirt car.

Part of me thinks Tony meant to scare him and misjudged the spacing and throttle response.

Damn shame all around.

• Leader

It looked like the victim's anger got the better of him and he put himself in danger.  

Doc's comments make me wonder if Tony Stewart's hard-track instincts took over during the sudden emergency.

• Like 1

Guys, I appreciate the seriousness of the story, but can we please not post the footage of his death...I realize it's not particularly gory or graphic, but it's not really necessary and this isn't that kind of forum...

• Like 2

I drove an Offy 1/4 midget twice and the first thing they told me was not to get out of the car if I wrecked.  Which I did.  So I sat there, upside down, and watched the

other cars just miss my rear end.  I wanted out!  But this,  this is just stupid.  Walking on a race track at night, in the dark area of the track, in a black driver suit.

Dumb,  just dumb.  I don't think Tony ever saw him, but he may have turned his wheel without ever knowing he was there.  You do that a lot, in sprints, to clear the

rear treads of mud.  Damn shame.

• Like 1